When did your twins start talking?

(11 Posts)
SugarPlumpFairy3 Wed 12-Feb-14 21:14:10

Mine are also 16 months. Dts has a few words and dtd has less. Lots of 'chatter' though!

Nancy54 Wed 12-Feb-14 11:52:16

Mine are 16 m and not saying anything yet! (Apart from babbling obvs)

QueenofKelsingra Wed 12-Feb-14 10:12:34

mine are 21m and DD had 4-6 words at around 16m she then stopped using them after a few weeks and went back to babble sentences. She babbles almost constantly and clearly knows what she thinks she's saying! DS was quieter and said 'ah-gaa' for everything for a long time!

DD now has a good collection of words but mostly you have to know her to know what they are 'maman, papa, no, milk, more, down, up, again, 1, 2, 3, finished' there are a few more. DS only has 'maman, papa, milk, up and no'. they do babble and giggle to each other and they full understand what is being said to them.

mine were full term (38weeks). they have an older brother which helps I think.

Slebmum Tue 11-Feb-14 14:59:08

Hi

Mine didn't start talking properly until they were just over two, and then it suddenly exploded. Almost as if they had been taking their time learning before coming out with it all.

They were 7 weeks early if that has any bearing on it.

MultipleMama Tue 11-Feb-14 01:09:55

Twins have been signing since 11 months and started talking round 12-13 months in both English and German. They're 17mo now and complete babble chatterboxes smile Although ds3 has been talking nothing but german for the past 3 weeks!

Ds1 didn't start talking til 18mo (signing at 13months), dd started talking around 22mo (signing at 15months).

smile

toomuchtooold Mon 10-Feb-14 21:31:41

Yep me too, I have 21 month old twins and they only really took off in the last month or so. I know that when they were 18 months, one was hitting the milestone (what is it, 20 words) just barely while the other had only said a couple of words.
Can't shut them up now though! One of them says "mummy nice" which gets her out of all sorts of trouble...

Thanks for the replies. It is good to know that all three of you have said 20 months+

Twiceover Wed 05-Feb-14 14:57:20

DT2 could say a few words at 17 months (I remember as it was xmas) - milk, teddy, mummy, water, tree. She build up from there quite steadily. Dt1 a bit later. sounds like yours are doing well. I think going in fits and starts is quite normal smile

Desiren Wed 05-Feb-14 14:53:04

My twin boys are 22 months and only have a few words "hello" " ouch" but babel away to each other as if having full conversations, they understand simple instructions but I would not say they are verbal not worried yet but if no improvement by their second birthday then we will have to look at it.

ClairesTravellingCircus Wed 05-Feb-14 13:14:58

Hi, I have bg who are 2. Mine didn't say much except mum and no until anout 20 months. Our peads was a bit worried at their 18month check, but I wasn't, I could tell they understood everything and could hear well. Now they're two they're learning about a new word every day.

I wonder is being able to sign might slow down the process as their need to communicate is fulfilled that way, iyswim?

My twin girls are 16 months old and have been pretty much on on target developmentally (6 weeks early).

They can sign which they rely on a lot to communicate with us. They can tell us if they want to sleep, eat, drink, cuddle etc which is very helpful but they don't have many words really.

First words were at 14 months but they have only 5 words between them and in the past few weeks don't even say those 5 words anymore. When did your twins start talking and how long did it take for them to have a good collection of words?

I have read that twins can be behind in language so I am not worried yet

Thanks in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now