is it completely normal????

(16 Posts)
slightlyinsane Thu 23-Jan-14 21:32:51

Thanks for all your replys, the sobbing has eased and I just get the occasional moment of panic! usually after a scan when i'm reminded there is 2 in there.
Now im at 19wks i have the urge to organise and am busy writing lists.

SugarPlumpFairy3 Thu 02-Jan-14 16:31:16

Oh I remember the shock oh so well! I sobbed through the rest of my scan in utter panic and horror and spent most of my pregnancy worried sick about how I would cope....and I only had my dd who was 5! I would say I came to terms with it during the last 7 weeks if my pregnancy and started to look forward to it a bit.

My twins are now 15 months and an utter joy smile. It's been tough but you will find a way to get through. Good luck smile.

MiniSoksMakeHardWork Wed 01-Jan-14 23:20:01

Gosh, I'm wishing time away now. Twins will be 21 months tomorrow - see what having twins does lol. Although that could easily be the older two addling my brain with inane/insane questions.

triplets Wed 01-Jan-14 22:48:10

Slightlyinsane.............love your name! You can probably guess from my nickname I have triplets! Had them just before my 46th birthday after losing my only child in 1994. I had three goes at ivf, third time lucky, for the first 6 weeks they said I was carrying twins and I was soooooooo excited, I didn`t think I would be given one, never mind two. Then I lost some blood, was scanned and hey presto number three appeared! I was terrified but insanely happy. The easy part was the 7 years, as babies, toddlers the were utterly utterly adorable. I accepted all offers of help, left all non essential jobs, rested when they did and loved every minute of it. They will be 16 on the 27th Jan and the last two years have been the hardest, I have 2 boys and a girl and she is driving me insane atm...............but love her to bits!
Find out about Homestart, we were given help, on morning a week, it was amazing the difference it made an Heather is still a very dear friend now. Do join us o our d`y thread.......................but don`t forget the choccy nuts.........................you`ll be my friend forever grin xx

rowrowroar Wed 01-Jan-14 21:44:57

*really excited

rowrowroar Wed 01-Jan-14 21:44:24

I'm completely with you, slightlyinsane. I'm 29 weeks with twins and just the one already - currently 17 months. I fluctuate between being really exciting and totally terrified about what my life will be like in a few weeks time! Fortunately there seem to be many out there who are surviving so I keep telling myself that we will too!

SoonToBeSix Wed 01-Jan-14 21:18:05

The shock will go I am 26 weeks I already have 4 dc my youngest are 17 months and 2. I am used to the idea now.

I found out I was expecting twins when I had a three year old and a one year old. I was so shock that I couldn't drive myself home from the hospital.

There have been many times since then when I have felt overwhelmed and/or terrified.

MultipleMama Wed 01-Jan-14 21:01:16

Oh, Soks that made me chuckle!

I always get "aww they look so alike" well yes, they're ID twins. You learn to take most comments like water off a duck's back.

MiniSoksMakeHardWork Wed 01-Jan-14 19:38:31

Yup. Normal (another from the d'ya thread). Honestly the day we had our first scan I was in hysterical tears and laughter. It wasn't until they were here that I let go of a whole heap of denial that I was having twins. I knew I was having twins but couldn't actually compute the reality of that.

I found the first year without a doubt the hardest. But we're 22 months in as of tomorrow and I'm finally feeling like I'm coming out of the other side. We've had to make a lot of changes to how we do things. But once you learn what does and doesn't work for you (and that does also go for anything us twins parents say too), you'll find yourself swimming along like a duck. As in everyone thinks you're bobbing casually along. Whereas you feel like you're paddling like mad underneath.

online shopping is a bloody godsend. I avoid supermarkets as much as possible.

Accept help that is freely offered.

Laugh at all the dumb-ass comments you are bound to get. To run off a few for you now;

Buy one get one free hey? (Yeah, cos nappies are always on that offer)

Are they identical? (No, this one has a penis, she doesn't)

Rather you than me! (I quite agree...)

My auntie's next-door neighbour's best friend's son's cat's previous owner had twins (no real answer to that one, hmmm, that's nice)

Oh aren't they adorable (always answer yes they are. Cos they bloody well are).

And my absolute favourite when you only have one twin with you... I thought you had twins? (Holy shit where did I leave him/her?!)

bubby64 Wed 01-Jan-14 17:33:51

Totally normal! I didnt have any kids when I fell for my 2, (now 13yr olds), but I sobbed on and off for a week. I rang the TAMBA (twins & multiple births association) and the woman there said that the mums often cry as they can see all the potential problems and the dads cheer!
Come and visit us on the Do ya thread any time you wish, we have mums of the whole age range from newborns to fully grown adults, we are a friendly bunch,and if you bring choccy nuts with you triplets will love you forevergrin

bubby64 Wed 01-Jan-14 17:33:23

Totally normal! I didnt have any kids when I fell for my 2, (now 13yr olds), but I sobbed on and off for a week. I rang the TAMBA (twins & multiple births association) and the woman there said that the mums often cry as they can see all the potential problems and the dads cheer!
Come and visit us on the Do ya thread any time you wish, we have mums of the whole age range from newborns to fully grown adults, we are a friendly bunch,and if you bring choccy nuts with you triplets will love you forevergrin

MultipleMama Wed 01-Jan-14 14:58:49

Was linked here.

I have just recently 13 week ago! had my 2nd set of twins, unlike you I had 4 not 3 other children and the amount of worrying and panicking I did was crazy. I'm not gunna lie, it's hard and completely overwhelming but you soon learn to adjust.

A few tips I learnt from my crazy life.

1. Lower all expectations.
2. Is perfectly okay to accept and ask for help.
3. Try online shopping for the major shop - this helped so much. It meant that I could avoid being stuck in a supermarket for long periods of time with 3+ kids.
4. If you find a routine that is flexible then it'll help but don't freak out when it falls through.

Basically, it's doable. It chaotic, manic, overwhelming but very managable and worth it beacause my house is never dull and filled with so much love and laughter smile

PM if yoy have any questions or wanna chat. Like mentioned above come join our thread smile

CustardoPaidforIDSsYFronts Wed 01-Jan-14 14:18:59
CustardoPaidforIDSsYFronts Wed 01-Jan-14 14:18:12

totally normal. dont forget your hormones are all over the place too

there is a thread in this section which starts "dya ever feel like...." and that is where most mums of multiples post for a bit of support - so go and introduce yourself they will be very welcoming

and it might seem overwhelming, but we get through - I look back on my time with twins and a three year old, a job, university etc and i think SHIT how did i DO that?

you just do.

you are perfectly normal - and thanks these are for you, congratulations my lovely

slightlyinsane Wed 01-Jan-14 14:15:00

I have just been to asda for a few bits and found myself wandering around sobbing. 4wks ago I found out I'm having twins, which in itself isn't so bad. The bit that keeps stopping me in my tracks or like today reduces me to a blubbering wreck is the fact I already have 3 and I have no idea how the flipping heck I'm going to cope. Is it a normal reaction or do I just need to grow a pair???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now