Feeling movement with Twins

(7 Posts)
littlegreendragon13 Mon 30-Dec-13 21:42:13

I have the same experience really: from about 24 weeks (now 28 weeks with DCDA) I was confident in telling them apart. T2 is always much more mobile which I've just had to get used to. I was always worried about T1 not moving as much but it's part due to them just being less of a wriggler and part because they like to hang out really low down so the movements are easier to feel with my hand rather than feeling the movements from inside iykwim! It's so worrying though, with DS any movement was great as I knew it was him, having to think about who I'm feeling and who I felt last drives me mad if I let it!

andadietcoke Sun 22-Dec-13 18:15:27

Please don't worry if they don't though. I never really felt Twin 1. I went to mat triage twice for no movement and was convinced something was wrong until she was born. They also moved around a lot so I'd get used to movement in one place and then they'd flip and be in a completely different place at the next scan. It is worrying, but you can always pop down to triage for a CTG.

Diamondsareagirls Sat 21-Dec-13 19:43:11

Thank you so much for the reassuring words. It is so helpful to hear from someone who has been through it. I am relieved to hear the movements become more distinct from each twin a little later down the line.

MisguidedHamwidge Sat 21-Dec-13 17:45:06

It is worrying because you always hear about "counting the kicks" but that is hard with two.

I was checked a few times because I couldn't feel movement from twin 1. Her head was engaged from 28 weeks & she was really tucked down because the bigger twin was taking up all the room. Once they were born, it was clear that she was a real wriggler (she is now 11 months & is walking about in front of me, her twin brother has only just started crawling!). Obviously she was kicking, I just couldn't feel it.

I found being pregnant with twins much more stressful than actually having them to look after. Good luck with your pregnancy & don't worry about getting checked if you are ever really concerned fsmile

It used to worry me too, you are not alone.

Like the pp said, the bigger they get the more you will feel them. From about 24 weeks onward I could tell what position they were in, which the sonographer always found amusing. Mine were both transverse so it made it easier to tell who was who.

I also had phases where they were very still. Twin 1 tended to do a lot of moving early in the mornings and twin 2 after I ate dinner and was watching tv. I did go to triage at about 30 weeks because of lack of movement from twin 2 and they were lovely and very reassuring. If you are in any doubt, ring your hospital.

Twicethehugs Sat 21-Dec-13 10:35:38

Hi, I thought being pregnant with twins was quite worrying but then I tend to be a bit of a worrier and with twins you get warned about a lot f things. I found that a bit later on, one twin tended to be on each side so I could feel both, I think it gets easier to tell when they get a bit bigger. You will have regular scans though so try not to fret too much x

Diamondsareagirls Sat 21-Dec-13 10:27:45

Hi all,

I am currently 22 weeks pg with twins and have been feeling movements/small kicks for a few weeks now. However, I can't stop the niggling feeling in the back of my mind that as there are two I wouldn't necessarily know if one of them had stopped moving. They have been quiet over the last 24 hours which makes me a little more anxious.

Did anyone else feel like this? I am sure I am worrying for nothing as I have check ups/ scans with consultant fairly regularly but as this is my first pregnancy I am surprised by just how much I think about it all the time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now