Twin pregnancy weight gain & bump?

(9 Posts)
justhayley Thu 28-Nov-13 21:27:55

Hiya I'm 6 weeks currently with twins. (I say currently as at my scan a few days ago one sac was more developed than the other so I'm hoping twin 2 develops an has a nice strong heartbeat when I go back in 2 weeks).

Anyway my question is what kind of weight should I expect to put on with twins?
I already feel massive. I always bloat out very quickly in early pregnancy I assume it's water retention but my tummy already feels stretched and a bit uncomfortable. I just weighed myself and have already put on 4/5 lbs!!!!

I was the same with DS and then it slowed down & I put on 22lbs in total - he was a 5lbs baby.

Also when did your bump start to show? I'm convinced I can already see it?!?! And today I did my belt up on a bigger hole.

Jesus I have a feeling I'm going to be maaaaooooosive if these babies develop as I hope!

I found out I was having twins at 13 weeks, I didn't start getting big until around 16 weeks. I then grew a very big bump and measured term at 28 weeks! In total I gained 3 stone, that was a lot of water, blood, 2 placentas, a total of 12lb of babies and I lost 2 stone within a week of them being born.

NigellasLeftNostril Fri 29-Nov-13 12:38:44

i am a big woman in terms of bone, hip width and height, and my twin preg just looked like a large football stuck on front. i do think if i had been smaller i might not have carried it so well.......

NigellasLeftNostril Fri 29-Nov-13 12:39:33

(about 10lb of babies...)

MisguidedHamwidge Fri 29-Nov-13 13:03:04

I put on around 3 stone with my twins (the same as with
my single babies). The main difference is that it has been so much harder to lose it this time and nearly all the fat is on my stomach, rather than spread out more evenly sad

I did also bloat very quickly though, by six weeks people were starting to notice, if I wore tight tops.

justhayley Fri 29-Nov-13 21:38:07

Thanks for sharing ladies. 3st I can just about deal with - 5/6st not so much lol

andadietcoke Fri 29-Nov-13 21:42:14

3st for me too, but I'm big to begin with, so that was the upper limit of what was deemed okay for weight gain. I was in maternity trousers by 12w. 13lbs of babies and it dropped off really quickly but I now have a delightful apron and a lot of 'twin skin'

Twicethehugs Sat 30-Nov-13 10:24:46

I don't know how much weight I put on, either block it out or stopped weighing myself, was pretty big towards the end and I'm only 5ft2 so probably looked very pregnant! Maybe I just work with some really un observant people but some didn't notice I was pregnant until past 6 months. A friend who had a baby then twins said she grew quite quickly with her twins so maybe it's different for a second pregnancy. As for weight loss, 10 months later I weigh the same as when I got pregnant- probably due to breastfeeding (I eat loads) and luck. I found keeping active during pregnancy helpful e.g. swimming was really nice, although near the end it was more floating and taking the weight off in the water! Good luck with your pregnancy.

SweetieTime Sat 30-Nov-13 21:16:58

I am 36 weeks with twins (1st pregnancy) and have so far gained 23lbs. I have been obsessed with weighing myself and measuring my bump each week. I gained less than a stone in the first 2 trimesters and then almost a stone in this last trimester. My waist currently measures 45". I have eaten a normal healthy diet throughout, loads of fruit, salads and vegetable with lean meat, chicken or fish. I have also had normal treats of crisps, chocolate and cake but not the whole time.

Have a look on my profile as there a couple of pregnancy photos.

Good luck with your pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now