Flying with 3-month-olds... Tips?

(8 Posts)
Linguaphile Tue 26-Nov-13 22:09:54

We're crazy, I know, but in 2 weeks we're off with the twins to Bali to visit my family for Christmas. Just wondering if anyone has tips on staying sane in the flight? Got the basics like giving bottles/dummies/nursing for ascent/descent and getting bassinet seats, but do you have sync other advice? Should be okay as my parents are flying with us so we'll have 4 adults for 2 babies...

baggyoldcow Wed 27-Nov-13 11:16:04

By coincidence I just found this website, which is so extremely detailed I imagine it will give you all the reassurance you could ever, ever need about your upcoming flight!
http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com/

JoinYourPlayfellows Wed 27-Nov-13 11:19:23

If you are breastfeeding, just do that as much as possible.

It's actually not too bad when they're that age because they can't move independently.

Oh, just saw you have two of them grin

OK, well the same still applies, but you will have to use bottles more. Dummies too.

It'll be fine smile

Especially if you have a 2:1 adult to baby ratio.

cantthinkofagoodone Wed 27-Nov-13 11:55:13

It's a good time to fly as no major distraction needed and the white noise of the plane makes them sleepy.

Twinsplusonesurprise Fri 29-Nov-13 07:00:53

Hey we did exactly the same and amazingly the time difference helped drop a feed which was fab!!
I'd say use slings. I did and if the babies won't sleep in bassinets - they are tiny - you can wander the aisles so they nap.
And take spares, even a top for you. I got milk all over me and spare clothes meant I didn't feel sticky the whole flight!
Ummm. I'm also obsessive about order so I had separate carry ons for each type of item - 1 for nappies, 1 for toys, 1 for feeds.
And push yourself forwards at every opportunity for help!
Oh by the way if you are FF the airport security we had to go through at Heathrow was hideous. I'd suggest taking your empty sterilised bottles and just buying cartons at the Boots once you're through. Way easier than the whole 'taste half everything you have' which means they will open each carton and you taste it. I dumped all mine, said to snotty hitler type woman that opened cartons in my case were no use to me!
Have a fabulous time, am v jealous!

KnackeredCow Sun 01-Dec-13 23:02:25

Apparently (not done it myself, but one of my twin mum friends told me this), you can pre-order all the formula you'll need for your flight and holiday from Boots to collect airside. That means you can avoid tasting half of everything (and voiding the sterility) and it won't weigh your checked luggage down wink.

TheOnlyOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 05-Dec-13 13:49:10

Saw this on interest
dunno if it's an idea?
GOOD LUCK
x

Linguaphile Mon 16-Dec-13 07:28:13

Thanks for the tips, all! The flight went amazingly well--babies didn't cry at all and it was a super easy journey. The hostesses were shocked at how good they were. The tip about carriers was especially good--with our connectas and the sleeping flaps, we could put our babies 'down' on time for naps and they didn't get overstimulated or overtired like all the other kids on the plane!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now