Up and over the cot she went - when did you move twins to beds?

(11 Posts)
twinnies26 Sat 12-Oct-13 23:00:04

My ID girls turned 2 last week and since their birthday DT1 has been up to all sort of tricks. Refusing point blank to go to bed and demanding mummy and daddys big bed!. We have been doing the usual, putting her into bed, despite the kicking and screaming and trying to settle/calm her. I happened to go downstairs and was going to go back up in ten mins when i heard gagging and a huge crash. She had made herself vomit with her tantrum and fell out of the cot and hit her head. She was covered in vomit and beside herself with fright and so was I.

When did you move your DTs to beds? DT1 is pretty bad about going to bed at the best of times so i'm thinking a bed might not be the best yet, is she too young? I'm not sure she'd stay in it? But she can clearly get out of her cot now and i'm so upset she was so distressed she made herself get sick (it's not the first time she's done this sad )

I want us to get back to a simple bedtime routine again! We were pretty lucky though as for 18 months we simply feed them a bottle and put them into the cots and they just slept!

Advise appreciated! smile

TooBusyByHalf Sat 12-Oct-13 23:07:59

We had those ones where the side goes down; once they could climb out we just left it permanently down. In that position it was about 25-30cm above the mattress ie. enough to stop them rolling out and feel like the same cot/bed they'd been in for ages but low enough to climb over without serious injury. But you do have to persuade them to stay there.

In your case I think I'd promise to buy a new big girls/boys bed if they get a whole sticker chart full of stars (or whatever) by staying in bed at bedtime for 2 weeks

Bunbaker Sat 12-Oct-13 23:10:59

There isn't a right age, just a right time. I moved DD into a bed when she could hook her leg over the side of the cot.

twinnies26 Tue 15-Oct-13 22:08:47

Unfortunately our cots don't come down at the side - but i like the idea of a chart and we'll give stars and stickers a go!.... there's never a dull moment is there!

harrygracejessica Thu 17-Oct-13 11:44:18

The girls were 2 when I put them in toddler beds and the boys were 2 aswell come to think of it. I would rather them get out of bed than climb out the cot and hurt themselves.

ContraryMary1 Thu 17-Oct-13 13:07:32

My twins were two when they moved out of their cots, we made a big fuss introducing the new big boy and girl beds into their room, letting them help put their cuddly toys on the bed helped. We also put a baby gate up which kept them safe until I could get to them.

It took a couple of nights for them to settle but with the promise of a choosen reward and a big fuss it wasn't as bad as I expected.

CakeForBreakfast Thu 17-Oct-13 14:52:12

Hi Twinnies how are you???

So it seems your lovely girls are developing a good mischievious streak as are mine too!

My two have been in beds since they were 22months. It just seemed right - as I think it does for you too, as it has already crossed your mind. They LOVE their beds, I make sure they can both see eachother.

Yes. Ring-Leader twin gets out of it at daytime nap sometimes and does allsorts of mischief, they are brilliant at night, presumably because it is dark. I can't imagine them being in cots now, I don't think they would stand for it, they just want to be as independent and as grown up as possible!

nextphase Thu 17-Oct-13 14:58:42

Not twins, but DS2 crashed out of the cot at 1 mths shock so into a bed he went.
Not sure what you do with the other one, but climbing twin needs to go into a bed NOW - crashing out of cots, onto heads is not a good thing to promote.

Stair gates on bedroom door is possible if you want to contain?

nextphase Thu 17-Oct-13 14:59:25

18 (still shocked), but not 1 mth!

silverangel Thu 17-Oct-13 17:32:26

Hello Cake and Twinnies!

Mine are 2.3 now and still in cots, one climbed out and landed with a bang and I thought about moving them but then we put a load of cushions and a spare duvet down. I think she scared herself as she hasn't tried it since. I don't want to do it until we have to...

Hope you're all well x

BrassicaBabe Thu 24-Oct-13 14:38:24

Hi, dts are 2.4 and we moved to beds about a month ago. I was also waiting for the "big crash" as a sign that it was time to let the cots go, but it never came. So in the end we just had to grasp the nettle.

In the week running up to the change we made a big fuss about "big beds". We let them pick duvet covers and help change the cotbed into a bed. It went remarkably smoothly to be honest. The only problem is they aren't "contained" any more when they wake. But they seem to play happily in their rooms when they wake. Even if that was at 3.30 am last night hmm

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now