Twin birth - how long can I stay at home before leaving for the hospital?

(10 Posts)
Bibblebo Wed 09-Oct-13 14:54:56

My DCDA twin girls are due any time. This will be my second birth (last one 3 years ago). Please tell me, how long did it take for you all from the first sign of labour to be in real active labor? And for that matter, how long was your labor from start to finish? I'm just wondering if I can take my time and do a bit of it at home, or should I rush in and bag a room? They have recommended a vaginal delivery if the first twin is head down.

HighVoltage Thu 10-Oct-13 01:46:14

Exciting times! I was in a similar situation to you - DS1 born 3 years previously, DTS and DTD on the way.

I was told as second (and third) birth that I would need to come straight in as soon as labour started ie regular contractions. Whilst I was going for a straightforward delivery I think it was partly because second births can be much quicker (and my first labour was about six hours) but also so they could assemble the team given the numbers that can be involved.

I ended up being induced - they broke my waters at 37+6 but then labour started within an hour (I was already 5 cm dilated they said because I'd given birth previously).

I think I would have had a shorter labour this time had I not opted for an epidural (advised and vg!) which meant labour then lasted about 11 hours but was well managed by the team and both twins were safely delivered without intervention (they both ended up head down). I was very lucky. I gave birth either side of midnight and I reckon could have been home that day but opted to stay another night.

Twicethehugs Thu 10-Oct-13 09:32:20

I was induced too but was told if I went into labour to ring the maternity ward ASAP - they wanted me in at an earlier stage than for a singleton. Also they had foetal monitors on both twins - again I think they like to do this from an early stage but your consultant / midwife should advise.

My consultant said to get to the hospital asap too.

Bibblebo Thu 10-Oct-13 11:13:40

Thanks! Did the foetal monitors mean that you were restricted to sitting on the bed?

littleomar Thu 10-Oct-13 14:52:01

Marking place because I'm in the same situation as op - and wondering about monitoring as well. Good luck op!

HighVoltage Fri 11-Oct-13 03:58:54

Hi Bibblebo - I could move around with our foetal monitors thanks to a very lovely midwife who chased me around whilst I was bouncing on an exercise ball when they were attached and let me walk around for little bouts without them attached after she'd just done a good reading. Once I was fully dilated they wanted me on the bed and continuously monitored (if I remember rightly).

I have heard of women being told to stay on the bed early on so you may need to be insistent that you must remain as upright and mobile as possible as it obviously will help your labour along.

Twicethehugs Fri 11-Oct-13 10:06:43

I could move around but not too far from the machine as wires weren't that long. Also they midwife had to keep moving the monitors back in place when they slipped!

I went from PROM to fully dilated in four hours, and the paediatric consultant wasn't in the hospital (rural area...) as I was wheeled into theatre.

Go early! You want to give them maximum time to make sure theatre/two paed teams etc are all set up in case you need it all (you might not, but much less stressful than being told "don't push yet if you can help it" and hearing another midwife talking about traffic delays!

Bibblebo Fri 11-Oct-13 17:05:18

Fantastic, thank you for the stories - all v helpful. The head midwife at the labour ward has invited me in to talk through any concerns I have - the Whittington seems such a great hospital!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now