High protein diet for twin pregnancy?

(8 Posts)
temporary Sat 28-Sep-13 20:40:44

I took the view that there was no harm in increasing my protein, so tried to make sure that I ate protein at every meal (but I didn't go in for protein bars or the like, just natural).
As I said, I figured it couldn't do any harm.

Franchini Fri 27-Sep-13 13:16:48

The standard advice here for ID twins is extra scans - every two weeks between 12 and 20 weeks and then every four weeks after if no evidence of TTTS. You should really be under a FMC if there is one near you as they have the experience.

- I am having MCDA Twins I'm 13 weeks (IVF) - I have just had 12 week scan and have consultant appt next week. Then will have a scan at 16 and 20 weeks then every two weeks after that - it seems like every hospital are different with scans!!

littleomar Wed 25-Sep-13 13:59:01

i'm on a high protein diet by default because of gestational diabetes and it's hell. bring on the carbs I say. mine are DCDA though.

silverangel Wed 25-Sep-13 11:02:15

Congratulations!

The American advice is (I believe) for TTTS preganancies that are being managed without intervention. I had TTTS (successfuly treated with laser) and high protein diets were not advised at any point. I did ask the consultants and their advice was no reason not to but there was no substantial proof that they helped in any way.

The standard advice here for ID twins is extra scans - every two weeks between 12 and 20 weeks and then every four weeks after if no evidence of TTTS. You should really be under a FMC if there is one near you as they have the experience.

Good luck with your pregnancy!

SweetieTime Tue 24-Sep-13 19:51:24

Only dietary advice I have been given is to drink a small glass of orange juice with meals to aid iron absorption. So far it seems to be working as my iron levels were the highest my MW had seen for singleton or twin pregnancy.
I am currently 26 weeks and both twins are measuring above 50th percentile for a singleton.

Froggy36 Sat 21-Sep-13 23:35:46

I'm pregnant with twins after ivf, they are di/di but have been informed that they could still be identical even after double embryo transfer. I've read a couple of reviews of the American books and they are pretty scathing. My mw at the twins clinic hasn't said anything about a high protein diet and my two who are at 20 weeks now measured great on Friday at their detailed scan. I would also watch out as a lot of the protein drinks you can get aren't recommended in pregnancy.

Twicethehugs Sat 21-Sep-13 10:20:15

Same thing happened to me! Mine are 7 & 1/2 months now. One thing with IVF is that they give you loads of info on the risks of twin pregnancy to reduce the no of twins which is fair enough but I think it made me worry too much when I found I was having twins.

When I asked my consultant and midwife about diet no-one had any advice except to eat a healthy diet. In the U.S.A. they seem to take a different approach. So no answers really, just do what feels right for you e.g. I had reflux for most of my pregnancy so had to eat little and often and avoid certain foods - the main thing is keep eating your body needs the energy!

BeetleBeetle Fri 20-Sep-13 15:20:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now