Twins plus - going out, getting home, lifts and stairs.

(6 Posts)
Bibblebo Fri 20-Sep-13 12:52:59

I'm due to have twins v soon and also have a three year old son. I need to move house.. I can only afford a two bedroom flat (live in London) and am looking at a few.some basement, level-ish access, some first floor, no lift , no garden, some higher but with lift. I'd be grateful to hear your stories - getting out with twins and a toddler or 3 under fives. How do u do it? Who goes in first ? Do you leave your shopping/ buggy on the street then carry two babies up and sheep heard the toddler up stairs - is it do able? Etc etc! smile

Bibblebo Sun 22-Sep-13 11:30:55

Spose it's just me then?!

HighVoltage Sun 22-Sep-13 12:31:08

DS 3.5, DTs 3 months - small house with steps and no car for me (DH uses for work and I can't drive anyway) so not as difficult.

I find getting on the bus much easier than I thought it would be and tend to let DS go first giving him jobs to do eg swipe the card on the bus while I put the brake on buggy, hold something and stand somewhere whilst I get them off.

I've wondered if it might be easier at times when they're small with a single buggy and a sling but couldn't face having another buggy out. I also rely on the kindness of strangers - usually other v sympathetic mums and grandmas (even inLondon).

Sorry not to be more help.

Bibblebo Sun 22-Sep-13 17:57:13

Great to hear - v useful to hear how you cope. Thankssmile

toomuchpink Sun 22-Sep-13 21:03:21

I moved out of a flat, with DD1, while I was pregnant with twins so did not have to manage shared stairwells with a double buggy. My feeling is that would be pretty difficult. When they are small you could get a double sling type carrier to allow you to transport both upstairs at the same time while the buggy stays at the bottom, but that means spending a fair amount for something you will not use that long. It is certainly possible to carry two babies in your arms at the same time, particularly at the beginning, but I didn't like doing it down the stairs of my house much once they could wriggle. My suggestion would be to go for ground floor or somewhere with a lift if at all possible. Good luck with everything.

Bibblebo Sun 22-Sep-13 21:24:56

Thank you toomuchpink x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now