Given steroids today in case I need a C section in the next week

(34 Posts)
Cheerymum Wed 07-Aug-13 22:16:19

Just looking for a bit of support from anyone who has had twins (or singletons) at around the 32 week mark. I know it's past the worst danger period, but one of my MCDA twins' growth is tailing off on scan and today (at 31+5) I was given steroids in preparation for a possible section next week if the cord blood flow is less than perfect. Was hoping for a vaginal delivery in September, so am feeling a bit apprehensive and low. Any positive stories out there of growth picking up, or good outcomes from early deliveries to encourage me along? Tnx.

Cheerymum Thu 15-Aug-13 08:11:26

Should be "they're"

More 30-weekers here.

I had steroids at 24 weeks, because there was some discrepancy in my amniotic fluid levels. My consultant said all looked fine at 30weeks, but I gave birth spontaneously at 30+3. The steroids allegedly last for 6 weeks, and my labour was very fast, so I didn't get another dose.

DD was smaller of the two - borderline IUGR at 2b 13oz - and had no breathing difficulties. DS was 3.3 and ventilated/CPAP for a bit.

Today, a month off their second birthday, they went out for the whole day with their nanny while I worked, and scooted on their balance bikes for literally miles. My wonderful nanny had to have a little sit down when she came back in - they just climbed all over her and invented a new game that involved running and jumping over all the furniture. They never, ever get tired. I don't think their lung capacity is exactly compromised!

You are a few weeks along, you have had the steroids, you will get a chance to see NICU. Even if it's tricky for a few weeks - and early twins are - I think you can be very reassured.

Cheerymum Fri 16-Aug-13 03:12:47

Wow, ressduring story and lovely mental picture of your two, Twelve. Thanks for sharing.

Rowan1204 Fri 16-Aug-13 12:34:01

Hi cheerymum,
Great news things are looking better now.
I was just going to add my positive story.
My boys were born at 32 weeks after a traumatic 8 weeks involving ttts and laser treatment, like silverangel.
They weighed 3lbs 11oz and 4lbs 3oz, stayed in scbu for 2.5 weeks, and are now 13 weeks old. the snsmaller twin is catching up and they are now both triple their birth weights (approx).
It was a scary time but the silver lining is that when twin life gets tough you just remember how dinky they were and how amaxing it is to have both here, fine and healthy :-)
Best wishes x

Cheerymum Fri 16-Aug-13 21:38:23

Thanks Rowan, I remember you posting about it at the time and I wondered how you were getting on - so glad to hear it's all going so well. Can't wait to have these two in my arms too x

Mandy21 Sun 18-Aug-13 18:17:07

Hi there, I had steroids at 27+4, babies arrived 2 days later. Both around 2lb 6oz. Twin 1 didnt need any help at all to breath, Twin 2 needed a bit of help. They spent about 8 weeks on SCBU.

They didn't have any complications of being early really, a couple of chest infections but not until they started nursery. They're 8 now and they never stop (and I mean never!). DS (twin 2) runs with me, we do a 3 mile route and I cant keep up with him.

I know its worrying and 31 / 32 weeks feels early but you've had the steroids and I'm sure everything will be fine. Good luck x

Cheerymum Mon 19-Aug-13 10:13:07

Thanks Mandy, another lovely story. So far the babies are hanging on in there. Repeat full growth scan this Wednesday so hoping for more good news and to
Get to September.

Cheerymum Wed 21-Aug-13 20:54:00

Both growing well! Looking good! Much less worried! Thanks for all the supportive stories and comments.

AintNobodyGotTimeFurThat Fri 13-Sep-13 11:42:27

Just read your comments on thread about twins.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and so glad you have managed to reach 36 weeks gestation.

Thinking of you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now