twins and mirrors

(7 Posts)
toomuchpink Sun 23-Jun-13 20:41:44

Hi there,
I have non-identical twin girls. One is petite with blonde straight hair, the other cuddly with curly brown hair. But when you show them their reflections and ask them who they see, they name their twin! They are 22-months. Has anyone else come across this or know anything about the age children develop self recognition?

Twicethehugs Mon 24-Jun-13 16:05:43

I don't know but I'm interested in the answer!

harrygracejessica Tue 25-Jun-13 16:47:09

My girls are identical and one was always saying her sisters name when looking in the mirror

My boys are non identical and pick each other out from pictures both happened around 2 years

toomuchpink Tue 25-Jun-13 20:46:39

Thanks. Good to know it is not just mine. Curious to hear other people's experiences too.

My B/G twins did this and I had a theory. They know who they are, and they know there is 'another'. So when they look in a mirror the reflection must be the 'other' because they are playing with you. Even though they know it's their own reflection. It's twin logic.

Even though mine are 4 and very individual, they do not think in terms of I it is mostly we, except with sweets then it's I and mine.

toomuchpink Sun 14-Jul-13 21:38:21

Ha ha. Thanks for your post. "Mine" is one of the words one of my twins uses most!

PrincessScrumpy Fri 02-Aug-13 15:52:46

Haha dtd1 did this yesterday - pointed at mirror and announced it was her sister. They are 23mo id twins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now