Swimming with twins and toddler

(10 Posts)
Eating43 Sun 07-Apr-13 18:30:46

Just wondering if any of you take baby twins and a toddler swimming? We have 7 mth old twins and a just turned 2 yr old. There is a private pool near us for hire which works out for us for a number of reasons, but they are anxious about just me and my husband having the 3 of them in the water. I was assuming toddler would have armbands on, one twin would be in one of those inflatable ring seat things. One of us could then either have both babies (holding the one not in the ring), or one baby (in the ring) and the toddler, leaving the other free to do stuff with the third (and we would rotate). Sound sensible? Thanks for any tips.

it wouldnt be allowed at our local pools as you need a 1:1 adult/child ration for children under the age of 4 i.e. you would need 3 adults for the 3 children

Chocamochalatte Sun 07-Apr-13 22:08:45

I just have DTs and when babies would use the inflatable ring/seat things, personally I think you'd feel more confident in the pool with all of them if you had two of the inflatable seats. In my opinion, I don't believe you need 1:1 ratio, public pools are just trying to cover their arses - I could have easily taken my two swimming together with no problems and did (they are 12 now so didn't have those rules back then!)

AtLongLast Mon 08-Apr-13 14:56:34

Slightly different in that we have twin boys who have just turned 3 and a 17 month dd. We've swum regularly with the boys since they were ~12 weeks. Both were in swim rings until they could walk and then went to armbands. When dd arrived we continued with her in the swim ring when she was 5weeks or so and boys in armbands til we were told that our pools have the 1:1 adult:under 4 ratio. Since then we have taken them singly.

Our boys generally behave pretty well and are confident in the water & we didn't feel unsafe, though I guess you never do until it's too late. We recently decided to try our luck again and have been swimming with all 3 for the last couple of months without being evicted blush. It's fine. Not restful for us as we obviously watch them like hawks -- & it feel like the 'zone defence' strategy learned in netball all those years ago has finally found some use-- but ok.

I'd prefer to have both babies in swim rings then they're fairly safe and you can move quickly for the toddler or hold onto both easily so one adult can have time with the toddler. Once they are all mobile and want a bit of independence is when it gets harder. Babies are the easier bit, in the water at least. Changing & being poolside is a bit more difficult.

toomuchpink Mon 08-Apr-13 21:03:20

You can get a twin ring, which has two seats in it and a space in the middle with some balls in. My two really liked it. My husband and I took the twins and DD1 to the pool with it no problem.

Sommink Mon 08-Apr-13 21:22:32

In Public Swimming pools this set up would not be allowed unless in a specific session as the twins would have to be 1:1 and the 2 yr old 2:1 as a minimum although most pools will up this figure as that is based on a shallow small pool.

As you are going to a private pool the H&S advisory still applies BUT it is advisory so it is up to the pool itself. You need to ask the pool if you can swim there or not with the setup you suggest, however as a Lifeguard I personally hate child seats in the pool, a lot of parents assume their child will be safe in them, which they will be if constantly supervised. The way I like to look at it is do you think all your children will be safe IF one of the adults gets into difficulty?

Eating43 Tue 09-Apr-13 18:28:52

Thanks everyone. If they let us go ahead without an extra adult then maybe I will get another inflatable ring as some have suggested. And in that case I would feel they would all be safe even if one of us got into trouble. Obviously in a small private pool we will be watching them all very closely anyway. It's helpful to know others experiences though. Cheers!

Eating43 Sat 13-Apr-13 18:29:13

Just thought I would update in case it's relevant to anyone else, swimming was easy, with eldest in armbands (helps that she is very confident in the water) and one twin in a ring. Getting them dressed afterwards was a tear filled nightmare, but we did it, just, in the 20 mins allowed!

PrincessScrumpy Wed 15-May-13 10:26:03

My local pool allows 2dc per adult. We've only been a few times where as I took dd1 every week from 7wo. It's rather stressful - not least because I took dtd1 to get her dressed leaving dh with the other two... he decided dtd2 had had enough so went to get her changed leaving dd1 (4yo) unattended! I was fuming and he still doesn't get why as "she was fine" apparently. Basically work out a plan for getting out after before you start!

MultipleMama Wed 15-May-13 18:09:34

Ours has a 2:1 ratio so I usually take dts & dd with my cousin and her daughter. We 3x month.

We stay in baby pool but if dd wants to go on kids slides, either I take her and my niece or my cousin does. DTS use a double ring with a few toys in between to entertain them but I take them out occasionally so we can bond better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now