Baby clinics

(15 Posts)
Cheeka Fri 05-Apr-13 23:07:53

All the baby clinics in my area are located on the first floor of GP surgeries. Due to fire regulations, you HAVE to leave your pushchair downstairs. How do you manage if you have twins?!? Also at the weigh ins, what do you do with two babies?the usual drill is to undress your baby at a changing mat and then walk over to the scales when called. How on earth do people manage with twins?i'm thinking carseat as a holding station for 1 twin...any other suggestions?

Celestia Sat 06-Apr-13 07:45:05

Would your hv come out to your house? Or does the hv pop into your call twin club? Ours goes to the first meeting of each month so I've only ever had them weighed at clinic a few times.

Your clinic's set up sounds less than helpful! I'd undress both babies down to their nappies and cover with a blanket. Carry both car seats over when called, get them weighed, cover with blankets again then take back to seating area to get dressed again.

givemeaclue Sat 06-Apr-13 07:58:21

Sling or car seat. This set up is not good for you though, speak to health visitor and see what suggests.

Cheeka Sat 06-Apr-13 09:58:54

The HV who came to my house post birth was less than helpful..she shrugged and suggested I call ahead to request someone from reception to help me take a baby upstairs. hVs around here dont tend to do very many home visits.Not sure what to do at weigh in!maybe one of the HVs at the clinic will help me 'guard' a baby...I'll check out what they say at twins club!

I call ahead and the lovely receptionist helps me. She carries and changes one baby, me the other.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Sat 06-Apr-13 12:53:06

Ours is in the children's centre where you can't take pushchairs inside, I get a staff member to help if I go (am a cm). If at the doctors ours let you request to be seen downstairs.

OzmaofOz Sat 06-Apr-13 13:42:08

Call ahead and ask for help, I have never encountered anyone who isn't prepared to help out. Even if its just to hold a baby while I sort another one out.
How often do you get them weighed ? It does sound like a pain in the arse.
Could you call the HV office and ask them to visit Twins club every so often - maybe every 6 weeks or so.
They don't sound that helpful at al.

OzmaofOz Sat 06-Apr-13 13:43:27

Ah I see Celsetia already suggested HV at twin club, must read posts rather than just skim. My excuse is a crazy cat and 2 lively toddlers grin

DigestivesWithCheese Sat 06-Apr-13 18:20:47

My HV offered to come to my house (after seeing me struggling into clinic in the rain, with a double buggy plus toddler on a buggy board). She is coming once a month & it is a real help.

toomuchpink Mon 08-Apr-13 21:08:03

I agree you should speak to your HV visitor about this and see if someone will help you at the surgery. You should not miss out on these things if you want to go to them. Having said that I have not had mine weighed forever and ever, but I did used to take them when they were under one and it more or less worked out ok. One would kick on a changing mat while the other get weighed.

TwoPoundCakePuncher Mon 08-Apr-13 21:11:48

I have a sling for one on my back and carry the other (or one walks now) same situation in my GPs, they did do it downstairs once but my pram didnt fit through the door!

Mandy21 Tue 09-Apr-13 18:13:36

I used to take two changing mats off the counter / side, lay them side by side on the floor next to the scales and then undress both babies, get one weighed at a time, leaving the other one on the changing mat on the floor (but obviously out of the way / where no-one would tread). Obviously means you're taking over one of the sets of scales (my clinic had 2 sets of scales) for a while, but this was the best option for me. Knowing what I know now (have been less than impressed with any advice I've ever had from a HV), I wouldn't be going to that much effort - I'd do the absolute minimum to know that they were gaining weight.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Tue 09-Apr-13 21:44:13

cheeka that sounds very unreasonable of your surgery. The HV should be doing more to help. Is there anyone you could take with you? A twin mum friend of mine used to take a widowed, slightly lonely neighbour who was delighted to be able to help. (She ended up being an adopted granny).

My HV said it would be easier for me if she did a home visit when I requested - which wasn't very often. Mine seemed to be growing well so I wasn't very good at getting them weighed frequently. Looking back, it would be nice to have more of a record in their red books, though.

Our multiples club did have a HV attending each month, but with about 20 sets of baby twins and 4 sets of triplets it was too chaotic.

However, expecting you to struggle up stairs with two babies is very bad - you could point out the "elf 'n' safety" implications of that.

Cheeka Wed 10-Apr-13 20:23:06

Well at the weigh in today, I asked the hv what the 'norm' is for twins..she said that most twin mums call reception and the lady comes down to help bring a twin up...as for the weigh in itself,I watched a twin mum with 4-5mth twins using 2 car seats. Looked like hard work! She kept one twin in the car seat as she weighed the other...luckily I had my mum with me today but when she goes home eventually....sad
my sister lives locally so I might rope her on to help if I give her enough notice.though she was looking after my 2yr DS today as I went into the weigh in!!
Digestives-Haven't dared think about taking in all three!

Cheeka Wed 10-Apr-13 20:23:49

*rope her IN!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now