Twins and passing illnesses.... What do you do

(7 Posts)
Twingirlsrock Wed 14-Nov-12 20:49:03

Thank you all for the great hints. I think we have turned a corner today and cross fingers will get some sleep tonight!

I hope your LOs feel a lot better soon too

Thank you x

Another vote for the plug-ins, and hot steamy baths too. Back to sterilising bottles and things as well.
We try to avoid cup/spoon sharing, but it doesn't work very well. I actually prefer they both get ill the same time now I'm working as it reduces the number of nursery days lost!
Not much else you can do - although I do find whne they're ill they go right off their food which reduces some of the work.

ladythatlunches Tue 13-Nov-12 20:14:51

My twins are 10 months and I also have a 20 month old!!!

They all have a AWFUL cough, cold, sore throat and all on antibiotics!!

REMIDIES
the calpol plug in for over 3 months old Aslong as they don't have ashma.
Or
Menthol crystals - absolutely a god send!!

I attached there dummies to them so they chose If they wanted It, instead of me keep popping it In, it ha been a few nights of up and down and in and out of rooms, it's just a horrible case of riding it out!
I fell asleep on the sofa today with 20 month old while babies were having a nap, I was so tired!

I'm a huge fan of doing what is easiest and gets you more sleep, so of bringing them in bed works do it!!

HappyAsASandboy Mon 12-Nov-12 06:12:12

We just rumble on through when they're ill. Our twins are 2 and the cosleep, with short stints in their cots (in our room) when we move them into them.

Neither of us gets much sleep, but then we don't get much anyway. At the moment all 4 of us have coughs and sneezes, so last night was pretty loud in our room! We've never all come down with a sickness bug though. Haven't a clue what we'd do in that case.

LightningSteveMcQueen Mon 12-Nov-12 05:47:43

I have girls 12 months apart, sharing a room. I one gets something the other gets it too, everytime.

We set up a bed on the floor between them (old duvets on floor) and one of us sleeps in with them, letting the other sleep in our room. When they were both still in cots I perfected a way of lying that meant I could be almost asleep and have a hand in each cot patting them, I used to be so tired!

Usually if its just a night or two I do it and DH sleeps so he can cope at work. If it goes on for longer then we split the night. I go to bed early and he stays up/goes in their room and we swap about 2.30am.
The only time we both are on duty at night is if they are throwing up, just bcause you need the extra pair of hands if both are throwing up at the same time.

liveinazoo Mon 12-Nov-12 05:21:38

cough cold remedies-prop up the matress<put books under it at top end>
olbas oil on a tissue
garlic and ginger help loosen mucous so ad a little to foods
little sips water<if they will take it>

i dont have twins,but 3dcs 8,6 and just 5<oldest has left home>

sleep deprivation is inevitable when you have more than one and they WILL share just about everything no matter what you do!

im awake coz mine have a sick bugsadtheyve been akip for a couple of hours and im still jump at every noise<sighs>

when they are ill batten down the hatches and have a plan how you will cope!

if you both work fulltime id go with 1 handle both of them alternate nights then you both get some sleep and wont be fighting amongst yourselves coz you are tired and ratty!

a sick bug needs nerves of steel and if they are ill at the same time you will have to have a plan<and pref an extra pair of hands>.

coping when they are unwell is the hardest part of being a parent but thankfully its not a massive part of the job!

Twingirlsrock Mon 12-Nov-12 00:12:43

Hi

I have 1 yr old non ID girls sharing the same room but not cot. They both have heavy coughs and colds - their 3rd bout this winter so far. Have taken to docs and chests are clear so using calpol/olbas oil and nasal sprays as well as vitamin C rich foods is all we can do really.

I am up tonight going from one to other (the one who is in more distress is in bed with me and OH on couch as he did last night and has work tomorrow) and it has led me to ponder what others do when twins aren't well.

I'm back to work next week so have a couple of questions....

- do you both have a rubbish night - one takes one baby each and sleeps when that one does? Or do you alternate nights?

- I imagine this is nothing.... What on earth is it like with a sick bug? Must be awful? What do you do?

- and good cold/cough remedy secrets?!!!!

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now