if two sets of id twins had children....

(21 Posts)
howelsabout Thu 01-Nov-12 19:20:15

Would the children look alike i have always wondered this.

and is it true that in most twins one is left handed and one is right are any of yours like this my non id boys are.

I'm an identical twin and we are both right handed not sure about the baby thing. smile

7to25 Thu 01-Nov-12 19:24:44

Presumably the partners would be different so only as alike as if eg one woman had two children by different men.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Thu 01-Nov-12 19:28:01

no oo means 2 id mums had kids with two id dads. good question.

howelsabout Thu 01-Nov-12 19:28:28

no i mean if an id sis was with an id bro and the id bro was with the other id sis would they have children that look alike

howelsabout Thu 01-Nov-12 19:30:10

i think you said it much better than me ohh

Vagazzled Thu 01-Nov-12 19:32:18

I had this discussion with my cousin the other day. We also said that genetically they would also be brother and sister as well as conventional cousin. confused

Pozzled Thu 01-Nov-12 19:37:22

Yes, genetically they'd be as close as siblings, so they'd be as likely as full siblings to look similar.

juneybean Thu 01-Nov-12 19:43:58

Would they have the exact same DNA shock

Romilly70 Thu 01-Nov-12 19:44:11

Here's an article about it

I think the children (cousins) in the first family look similar.

The 2 little Chinese boy cousins look like twins to me

Don't know.

But I know a id twin who married an Id twin and naturally had triplets. In twin boys and a girl.

BeaWheesht Thu 01-Nov-12 19:50:36

Nobody has the same DNA as anyone rlse

howelsabout Thu 01-Nov-12 19:51:03

if i'm right in thinking they would have the same dna as correct me if i'm wrong id twins have the same dna so their children would as well.

@romilly very intresting article there must be some sort of experiment on this though and i agree that the chinese boys do look like twins.

BeaWheesht Thu 01-Nov-12 19:52:52

Apart from one Id twin to another obv

BeaWheesht Thu 01-Nov-12 19:53:39

But siblings don't have the same DNA and that's what genetically speaking the cousins would be ?

1944girl Thu 01-Nov-12 19:53:41

I remember reading a magazine article about this years ago.
Two identical twin sisters met two identical twin brothers on holiday, they became friendly and eventually one from one set married one from the other set, then the remaining two married each other IFYSWIM.
They had children who all looked alike and both sets of the cousins had the same DNA and were regarded as siblings as well as cousins.

howelsabout Thu 01-Nov-12 20:01:02

Well yes they would be siblings but as their parents are id they all have the same dna no?

juneybean Thu 01-Nov-12 20:05:33

Okay I've thought about it some more, and Bea is right, because each child could take something different from their parent.

So child 1 might be blonde blue eyed, child 2 might be brown blue eyed etc.

1944girl Thu 01-Nov-12 20:13:03

Sorry but I quoted wrong about the DNA!

Himalaya Thu 01-Nov-12 20:30:02

They would be legally be cousins, but biologically they would share as much common genetic code as siblings.

Every child gets half a set of chromosomes from each parent - but each parent only gives half their chromosomes to each child - the selection is random - so each child ends up with a different set from amongst their four grand parents. Full siblings could (possibly but vanishingly unlikely) share 0% or 100% of chromosomes in common,, but most likely is around 50%.

Cousins normally have one pair of grand parents in common (2 out of 4) so the maximum chromosomes they could share Is 50%, the minimum 0% and the most likely around 25%.

Children of two sets of ID twins paired together are likely to share around 50% of their chromosomes (the same as siblings)

maybenow Thu 01-Nov-12 20:33:02

They'd look as much alike as siblings but not as much as twins, because their mums would have the same dna as each other dads the same as each other, but each of them is a unique mix of the parents' dna just like siblings are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now