Twins Club 5! All welcome! :-)

(243 Posts)
mandasand Mon 24-Sep-12 00:35:44

Hello! I was a relative newcomer to the last Twins Club thread. I thought I should start a new thread as the last one I filled up with a bit of chatter towards the end. The last thread was really useful to learn from others also carrying multiples and to get the benefit of recent 'graduates' (when they had a minute between sleeping and feeding newborns!)

I'm 37 and 16+5 with twins. I live in Oxfordshire with DH and these are our first children!

Be lovely to get some chatter going on the thread so please come and introduce yourselves :-)

ShesADreamer Wed 26-Sep-12 23:52:10

Hi all,
Just like Pixies, I'm quite keen to avoid a cs as don't like the thought of the post op recovery with existing DCs plus newborns.

Was told that, as I'd had two very straightforward previous births, there should be no probs with attempting to deliver the twins naturally. My hosp has mobile monitoring so you're allowed to move around the room if all is going well.
They did say they'd prefer me to have an epidural before pushing out DT1 in case I need assistance for DT2.

If they're breech, I'll need to discuss at the time to see what's best but they haven't necessarily ruled it out.

Mandas, not pathetic at all - I think you'd be odd not to be freaked out by all the changes. Despite having other DCs, I'm finding the prospect of a multiple preg and delivery a bit daunting. It feels very different and almost like the first time as there are so many unknowns.

Hope you get a lovely (double) dose of second trimester happy hormones soon!

Really good to hear from those whose DTs are already here. Especially sounding so happy. Am getting a bit fed up with people involuntarily saying 'Oh my god!' or even 'Oh no!' when I say I'm expecting two.

Aspiemum2 Wed 26-Sep-12 23:56:54

Yes you do get that a lot, double trouble?? Not even remotely - double joy hmm try quadruple! Wouldn't change a thing grin

mandasand Thu 27-Sep-12 07:14:56

Aspiemum2 welcome! I am envious of your excellent delivery - well done! I think it must be the most exciting thing seeing baby twins interact. I got a book delivered from Amazon yesterday called The Social Baby which tells you how to recognise signs of communication … and I got quite teary thinking of two!

Thanks, Dreamer! Actually, I am (amidst all my grizzles) awash with happy hormones. I am ridiculously goofy-in-love with DH - quite funny actually as we're normally quite loved up but this is ridiculous! And I am hugely in love with my bump too. Feels a lot nicer than my grumbly and worried first few weeks with lots of cramping and anxiety!

I just laugh at people who go on about twins being hard work - that was my reaction right from the beginning during the 8 week scan when we were just hoping to find one little baby-in-progress in there and I've not stopped being utterly delighted with the idea since. It's perfect! And weirdly it was what I desperately wanted in the three months of trying. My ovaries must have been having their last gasp!

Happy Thursday everyone!

soon2bmumof3 Thu 27-Sep-12 07:42:20

Hi All, can I join too? I'm 35 weeks today with non identical boys. Really uncomfortable and tired but excited for their arrival. Already have a DS who is 2.8 and finding it tough coping with the terrible twos being mahoosively pregnant! Started a half hearted attempt at toilet training with him this week as i finished work but ive already abandoned it, havent the energy, poor child will be Going to school in nappies at this rate grin I'm probably having a section too - they've said between 37 and 38 weeks but I should get date at scan next week. Uncomfy as I am I'd like them in there for as long as possible really, last thing we want is for them to be in SCBU. Not looking forward to c section recovery though, I had EMCS with DS after a grim 3 day induction and was a broken woman for weeks. Hoping ELCS won't be as bad!

mandasand Thu 27-Sep-12 10:40:40

welcome soon! crikey, hats off to you (and others) coping with the terrible twos whilst pregnant with twins! I really know nothing, but am reliably informed that planned sections is easier to recover from than emergency one. hope you will be able to call on some help in the first couple of months as you recover smile I'm only 17 weeks and already feeling massive! slightly nervous about quite how big I am going to get ... !

Have my 34 week scan this morning. Wondering how big the babies are now. Will let you know later on.

Have a good day everyone smile

Aspiemum2 Fri 28-Sep-12 21:34:44

How did the scan go?

Natalietwins Sat 29-Sep-12 00:43:34

Hi every1 35 weeks tomorrow can not wait now, have to go for iron injections next week not looking forward to them at all but I can not seem to keep the tablets down, so so sick at the moe really can not wait to meet my girls now so close to the end x

bernadette1980 Sun 30-Sep-12 10:44:31

Hi would like to join I have non Iden girls who are now 10 weeks and 4 older sons my girls were born by planned section at 37+6 weeks an the lady who asked mine was top if bum for steroid jabs altho there's diff ones I think I had mine 24 hours apart but they some that are given 12 hours apart so don't know whether that makes a diff. Hope all you mummys to be are doing well

DigestivesWithPhiladelphia Sun 30-Sep-12 21:35:27

Hi everyone!

I was on the other thread briefly. I am 23 weeks with DCDA twins, I haven't found out the sexes. The pregnancy is going well for the twins and they are growing well.

It has been a scary week for me, as I've been breathless and had a high pulse for about six weeks but I thought it was down to a twin pregnancy. The GP's thought I had a chest infection that wouldn't clear. In the end I booked in with my consultant for advice & she sent me to be investigated for a pulmonary embolism (blood clot on the lungs). The Drs kept telling me it was VERY unlikely to have this - I have no risk factors other than pregnancy. Then the scan came back positive for clots of both lungs sad. I should be fine now as I'm injecting blood thinners twice a day bug it is scary to think I was walking around with the clots for weeks without knowing.

I am glad to be home from hospital & I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this was be the only complication & that the rest of the pregnancy will be very smooth.

Hello everyone!

Congratulations on your pregnancies smile

I started twins club 3, and now my dcda boys are 6 months on Wednesday. They're smiley, interactive and fab. DT1 is on the move and rolling, DT2 more a watcher and a thinker- he lies there like a little pudding! My DD has just turned 2 this month.- have to say, there was no miraculous easing of the workload having 3 under 3 rather than 3 under 2, but she's delighted with her brothers.

I had my boys by planned CS at 37+6 and it was ace. I'd had a difficult delivery with DD, and third degree tear and i healed better and faster after my CS. So no need to panic. Of course a normal delivery with no complications would be best recovery wise, but I wasn't ever going to be induced again and wasn't willing to risk re-tearing. I don't regret my CS decision and had a lovely birth. I'd definitely hang on to as near 38/39 weeks as possible, the stats for babies' doing well are so much better for 38 than 37. Think I was told 6% of 37 weekers need some help (scbu) compared to 1.5% of 38 weekers. My consultant was keen for me to get near 38. If you don't go into labour earlier of course grin

Hi to all, was going to write more, using phone to distract ill but sleep refusing DT1 but he's wailing....

Oh, and btw, all those whose twins are here, there's a twins under one post natal thread in multiple births too smile

Cheeka Tue 02-Oct-12 23:58:37

Hi everyone, Can I join? Found out that I'm expecting DCDA twins last Friday at my 12 week scan!!still gob smacked and struggling to take it in. I'm getting more and more excited about the prospect, but also worrying slightly about coping as I have a 20mth DS (who was a very difficult baby...)

I do have a quick question about scans, after the 12wk nuchal scan last week, I discovered I forgot to hand in the yellow card back to reception.too dazed! i think it had the sonographers notes on it. It said NEEPS NUCHAL, 12.10.12
I did go back to reception to Book my 20 wk scan ( as directed by my midwife at booking in appt) but now i'm wondering if the yellow card instructed an earlier scan because of the twins discovery. In your experience, did you ladies get an extra scan in before week 20 but after week 12? I guess this depends on the hospital. I'm at whipps x in London....

mandasand Wed 03-Oct-12 20:24:27

hello cheeka! congrats! I'm 18 weeks with twins and have a scan for my cervix tomorrow, I think because these are first children so they want to check it's coping! then another in two weeks, then every 4 weeks I think. So you should get more scans...

Nice to have you with us! xx

doublemuvver Wed 03-Oct-12 20:28:44

Hiya i have boy/girl twins 4.5 yrs, just started school. Can't remember anything of first 3 months! It's all been great, really positive, the kids are bright, happy and really love one another. Luckily I am quite organised which I think helps if you have any amount of children! They are also bilingual, being dual heritage and have embraced DH's culture with abandon. Have brought them up the same but DS is a real boy and DD very girly! All quite fascinating.

bernadette1980 Thu 04-Oct-12 04:39:10

Hi everyone just a quick q for those with twins already does anyone find 1 baby a lot more demanding elisha as started screaming pretty much every time she's put down espec it seems whem I pick livia up now livia as a lot slower to feed to start with but now so much longer as I have to keep stopping to calm elisha down any tips there 11 weeks so although too young really to leave to cry but when I've thought well I've got no choice elisha just gets too worked up

thereistheball Thu 04-Oct-12 08:38:00

Hi, lovely to meet you. I would be 35+1 today but my non-ID boys arrived 6 weeks ago at 29 weeks. They are in intensive care and doing well. I have a 5 year old DD so I can't be with them as much as I'd like. I hope we'll be able to get them home in early November, when they would have been at term (for a singleton). Schlepping to and from the hospital is a long old slog but nothing like as hard work, I imagine, as having them at home.

I'm going to read through this thread properly now, since my bus apparently won't arrive for another 30 minutes <grrrr>

Hello. Just had 20 wk scan and all is well, also found out we are having a girl and a boy. Soooo exciting!

mandasand Fri 05-Oct-12 01:31:49

Hi everyone! nice to see so many expecting-mummies and new-multiple-mummies here smile

I had my 18-week cervix scan today and all my recent fears were completely obliterated by the fact that my cervix is a very robust 4cm!

Sonographer spent much more time showing us the babies' feet and hands! One was just swallowing (asleep?) but the other one was going like the clappers - arms and legs flexing in all directions!

She knew the sex but we are trying to keep it a surprise.

So excited we get to see them again in two weeks' time for the anomaly scan. Time is really racing by now!

bernadette1980 Fri 05-Oct-12 04:28:39

Glad all scans are going well and congrats freebutton on 1 of each

Hi everyone,

I had my daughters on Saturday evening, very unexpectedly! Both girls doing very well. Went in for a routine scan on Friday morning to discover twin 1 had lost her fluid. They admitted me in straight away and monitored the babies heart rates. Babies were doing well but they planned a section for 10am on Sunday as one baby was transverse and one breech. At 4pm on Saturday I started getting contractions and they whipped them out by section at 6pm, they were 34+5.

Georgina born at 6.06pm weighing 5.7 and Megan born at 6.08pm weighing 6.1. They were big for twins and luckily I had both steroid injections in time to help their lungs develop. Neither needed help with breathing. They spent 2 nights in the NICU with a feeding tube, glucose drip and they needed antibiotics. Since then they have been moved to a nursery for monitoring and only have their feed tubes in now. Both have tried breast feeding and have latched on but they fall asleep very quickly. The Neo Natal Unit at the hospital have offered us transitional care, it starts this evening. I will be on a ward with 3 other mothers who have prem babies and I will look after them myself for as long as it takes me to become comfortable in caring for them. I need to establish breastfeeding so they can have their feed tubes removed, the best way is lots practice. I am home now packing our bags to finally become a full time mum!

Hope everyone is well.

Natalietwins Fri 05-Oct-12 19:13:18

O gardenpixies32, congrats hun glad they are doing well wow what a suprise that must of bin for you, am 36 weeks now and still moaning ha, lost my plug and had a show for the last 2 days so the end could be near for me not to sure though just have to wait and see what happens, good luck with them hun well done x

Oh congrats gardenpixies. What great weights theybare - hopefully they will learn to feed quickly. I hear being a bit bigger means they have more energy to feed. I'm sure it was all v worrying but glad they are doong well.

Starting to feel more movement here - lots of flipping and bubbles. Very exciting.

mandasand Fri 05-Oct-12 21:14:36

congratulations gardenpixies! so happy both babies are safely with you and with such great weights. I'm sure they will be home with you before long! yay!
xx

MrsSBL Fri 05-Oct-12 21:20:11

evening everyone... ok if i join? 21 wks with girl/boy twins, have a DD aged 5 who is delighted about our impending new additions. another scan due in 2 weeks, looking forward to seeing them again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now