When did you find out you were having twins?

(31 Posts)
stickybean Sun 26-Aug-12 23:40:51

Just curious, did you have a feeling before the scan? Was it a total shock? Was it different to a single pregnancy if you had one before?
I am newly pregnant. I have no reason to suspect twins but would be thrilled if they find two at my 12 week scan.

RedBlanket Wed 17-Oct-12 22:13:21

At my first scan.
Sonographer stepped out to get a colleague so I was hysterical mildly concerned that there may be a problem. I thought they were joking at first, like they would really do that smile

Was very shocked.

Jojoba1986 Wed 17-Oct-12 22:36:21

It's interesting to hear that some people had an inkling that it was twins before the first scan. I'm 6+5 & the thought does keep popping into my mind! I had no real symptoms with my last pregnancy except tiredness but this time I've been nauseated 24-7 since just a few days post-o, can't face the thought of eating/drinking anything, exhausted all the time & am generally very moody. When I took a HPT at 3+5 the line appeared in less than half of the time suggested by the test. Oh, & my mum has twin cousins but they're the only ones I know of so it might not run in our side of the family! Don't know how I'd feel about twins - I love the idea in theory & then I start thinking about the practicalities! Scary but exciting! Can't wait for my scan to find out if my feeling is right! grin

Jojoba1986 Wed 17-Oct-12 22:43:52

Oh, & already my trousers are feeling tight. I was in normal clothes until past 20 weeks last time! hmm

LeChatRouge Thu 25-Oct-12 23:59:02

It was my second pregnancy and as I felt fine, I didn't go to the midwife or doctor until I was about 14 weeks. The midwife had a listen for a heartbeat with her fetal heart monitor and she said she thought she could hear more than one heartbeat. She arranged for us to pop to the local hospital that day for a scan and the sonographer confirmed two babies. I was absolutely delighted, I can still clearly remember feeling so excited!

We went for a walk through the high street in a daze and went into Boots and bought two tiny pairs of socks.

Didn't tell anyone else until I was 18 weeks....on Christmas Day.

Blending Wed 31-Oct-12 11:39:29

Yesterday at the 7 week scan following Ivf!.

I had Ivf twice before, and 2 put back each time, resulting in dd who is 23 months.

So we didn't think twice when we had frozen embryos put back as they were our last ones, and poor quality, so we hoped that one of them might take.

I had a bleed 2 weeks ago so had hcg blood tests done, which came back as high but within the range of singletons, so I had an idea, which Dh dismissed as nonsense.

The nurse said " you know that when you have two put back there can be two babies?"

Dh said "you mean potentially?"

She said " no actually! There's two in there!"

He is still in shock...he can't get his head around it being a good thing!

rocket100mum Sun 18-Nov-12 16:39:53

3am at 9 weeks (roughly i think) after a heavy bleed in the night. Assumed i was miscarrying. Awaited the doctors sympathetic expression...and then he told me it was twins. I screamed, cried, vomited...it all went on. DD was 1 at the time and a serious handful. No twins in the family, so this was the biggest shock of my life!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now