where can I buy a mixed race looking doll?

(31 Posts)
sallystrawberry Thu 25-Oct-07 16:31:36

for dd for xmas, she has soft dolls but she wants a baby one iykwim.
I've found black dolls, white dolls but no mixed race dolls.

Hulababy Thu 25-Oct-07 16:37:31

Is the skin on the ethnic Baby Annabell and Baby Born too dark?

NAB3 Thu 25-Oct-07 16:38:21

Early Learning do them.

omeN666 Thu 25-Oct-07 16:39:18

was going to say the ethnic baby annabell looks more mixed race than black.

MissInvisible Thu 25-Oct-07 16:39:31

there is an asian baby alive at minute (saw it on ebay) as well as ethnic ones?

NAB3 Thu 25-Oct-07 16:40:04

Baby Millie Black Doll

Baby Lucy - black

Hulababy Thu 25-Oct-07 16:42:51

Just googled and come up with:

They do black, mixed race and oriental skin tones

sallystrawberry Thu 25-Oct-07 17:16:04

ok I will admit to only looking in tesco blush

chickenmama Sun 02-Dec-07 18:32:11

I'm struggling with this atm. Every shop I go in has rows of white ones but almost no non-white ones. We live in a multicultural area and it's very disappointing to see.

Also, I'm finding the word 'ethnic' very uncomfortable. When I fill in an ethnic monitoring form I tick white... so why is it only the non-white dolls are ethnic? What's wrong with calling them black. And even better, why not have more variety, some Asian ones, some mixed race ones... Ethnic sounds fine on a pack of multicultural figures wearing traditional outfits, but not so much on black dolls.

How do others view this? It's really bugging me right now!

HappyDaddy Tue 11-Dec-07 15:37:07

DD has white ones and black ones. She calls them all her babies. grin

paow Wed 19-Dec-07 10:14:18

Hi there, Upsy Daisy seems to be quite mixed rice, they do a big dolly as well as the beanies, any good?

Anna8888 Wed 19-Dec-07 10:28:35

sallystrawberry - I am looking at the Corolle catalogue and there is an adorable Asian looking baby but with white skin called Calin Yang, and another, mid-brown, baby called Calin Darling. There's also Calin Choupi who is darker and more African looking. Another mid-brown called Tidoo Gracieux Vif / Graceful Bright.

There are also bigger versions - Suce Pouce Graceful (black) and Bébé Do Darling (dark brown).

So loads of choice smile

abibatousmum Thu 20-Dec-07 12:40:52

Ebay has some listed by a company called Toys Like Me- if you put mixed race doll into the search they come up. I have checked ebay before and had no luck but just tried again and have bought a doll for my dd's birthday.

I do agree chickenmama- it is disappointing. I am white so hadn't really been aware of this issue growing up and I have been really surprised at the lack of toys representing different races. I am not sure about the term 'ethnic' either, sounds a bit dated in this context. Books and tv are now mostly good at showing a range of races in children's programmes so why isn't it the same for toys?

chickenmama Sun 23-Dec-07 21:16:37

Anna8888 - I just googled the make you mentioned (I've not heard of it before) and found this UK site stocks some of the dolls. Corolle do have a website but it says the UK one is under construction at the moment. Nice dolls, I'll definitely keep it in mind for the future

halogen Wed 16-Jan-08 23:02:37

Google for Sasha dolls. They have some beautiful darker-skinned dolls. I loved mine when I was tiny.

zacka Mon 18-May-09 21:16:43

I bought some really nice mixed race and black dolls on ebay from a shop called thedollstore. I think they also sell the on Amazon as well. From memory they had white, black, Oriental, mixed race and brown dolls, in both boys and girls and different sizes I think. Hope this helps.

msdevine Sun 24-May-09 22:40:08

hi I have a mixed race doll for my dd it was from http://www.blackdollsdirect.co.uk/ there is a choice there black, mixed or oriental. You can also choose to have a boy or a girl as they also have the right body parts. they are good because unlike ELC baby millie or baby anabelle they have faces which more resemble mixed/race black/white.

hope thats of help

and chickenmama i agree it makes me furious that i should have to go online to buy these thing so my chiln will have a positve identity.

if everyone just accepts it nothing get done i have been writing to book stores and toy stores etc but it needs more than one.

Mistymoo Sun 24-May-09 22:42:42

We bought the darker skinned baby abbabell for our dd. It was £5 cheaper in Hamleys shock

happycampers1 Thu 28-May-09 13:15:39

I brought some lovely dolls from www.littlegreentots.com we have leon and tilly, both black dolls but they are just scrumptuios and DD2 love them

TalkingBiscuit Thu 04-Jun-09 15:14:15

Mistymoo, I am not surprised. There were virtually no black dolls when I was growing up and I grew up in the USA in the eighties. The few of them were tar black with white features.

The OP can try American Girls. Depending on what you are after, you can get a doll to resemble your daughter. If she is after a baby doll, the Bitty Babies are gorgeous. We ordered an American Girl for my (white) husband's niece and it was shipped over to the UK with no problems, but you will have to ring the company and use either a credit or Visa Electron card. Their website is great. The dolls are pricey, but they are collectible.

used2bthin Thu 04-Jun-09 15:17:44

My DD has a doll called baby Stella which looks mixed race. It was from an independant toy shop which has since closed but I think baby stella is possibly the brand name because the blond version was also called baby Stella I think. Will google it now.

used2bthin Thu 04-Jun-09 15:18:46

Amazon sells them.

cat64 Thu 04-Jun-09 15:21:37

Message withdrawn

TalkingBiscuit Thu 04-Jun-09 16:15:50

I know what you mean about the cards. I'm black, my husband is white and for my birthday, mother's day or anniversary, he usually ends up getting me a card with a bear on it or something.

I have a little boy, but I can't find any cards that reflect him, so I get an action figure or Simpson's card or something.

I miss the USA for that reason. Hallmark does a line called "Mahogany" and they are gorgeous. I will check to see if they ship here. I went into Clinton's to see if they did a line of ethnic cards and I got a blank stare. I am sure a woman went on Dragon's Den and got funding for such a business.

Asana Tue 09-Jun-09 16:13:19

www.colorblindcards.com/ is a good place to try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now