halal eating Muslims can I ask a question please?

(13 Posts)
BoringlyRestrictive Sun 10-Jan-16 17:11:14

Dc's father is Muslim. In the loosest sense of the word.
He observes Ramadan and eats halal - with the exception of sweets as and when it suits him.

He has just announced that I can no longer allow my children to consume cadburys. As 'the vast majority of their products have gelatine in but they don't put it on the packet'

Have you ever heard this before and do you deny your children/yourselves anything from cadburys for fear it may contain hidden gelatine?
If so, do you only ever give them chocolate that is stated to be 'suitable for vegetarian'?

We've argued over it and he says I'm unreasonable. I think he's being petty and controlling again

Jenda Sun 10-Jan-16 23:13:31

Not muslim, but I know several and the only one who doesn't eat chocolate is diabetic. Sounds ridiculous to me

Katarzyna79 Sun 10-Jan-16 23:21:43

to makw things easy i look for veg sign if i csnt find it i go through ingredients . Ive done it so often i have a good idea of what each ingredient is. If im unsure i look it up at ho.e neforebuying it.

Most cadburys products say vegetarian on them. Gelatine is usy in chewy jly like products and its clearly stated beef or pork gelatine.

its.paranoia to say cadburys have hiddem gelatine like the company it trying to hoodwinkuims and jews andvegetarians?

if theres doubt dont buy but if the ingredients are fine or hetter yet says veggy suitable no problem.

Whys he got it infor cadburys alone? Lol

Blu Sun 10-Jan-16 23:23:44

A quick Google reveals that some deliberate contamination of a small number of Cadbury products on sale in Malaysia led to a jihad against Cadbury with all sorts of wild demands and accusations made. However even Malaysia has now declared Cadbury halal.

Of course there isn't secret gelatine in products - All manufacturers are required to list all ingredients.

Cadbury list all their products which are halal - all the common products.

Do a bit of googling and show him.

And take no notice.

AlwaysStarving Sun 10-Jan-16 23:27:15

Well i am muslim and have never heard of this. I do always check ingredients but have never known of cadburys putting in 'hidden gelatine' and anyway would that not be illegal, to not state ingredients?
As for only giving and buying chocolate that says suitable for veggys i don't, if it does not have the suitable for veggys sign i look through the ingredients to see what it is that is making it unsuitable. If it is something obvious like gelatine then obviously a no, but some yoghurts and sweets have an ingredient called cochineal which is a dye from a dried insect. Im uncertain on whether this is allowed to pass on products that contain this but some say it is ok to eat.

kinkytoes Sun 10-Jan-16 23:30:32

If you're the poster I think you are, I thought you weren't going to bother with halal now anyway?

originalmavis Sun 10-Jan-16 23:30:49

The observant ones in my family scoff cadburys if there isn't any nice chocolate around.

It sounds like a bit of conspiracy nut theory to me (like the vaccines one).

Katarzyna79 Sun 10-Jan-16 23:36:47

Cochineal is prohibited since thousands or more insects are killed to get this dyea d its well know muslims arent meant to consume insects so any by product would be i.permissible too.

yes its a shame itscommon in lots of products prettygross iguess itsa mobeusaving tactiv i. Sure thereare other ways igetting thecolour thst doesnt involve insects. Thats why icant use a lot of cake decorating colours in supermarket been looking oine for veggy or kosher bright colours for my kids

Katarzyna79 Sun 10-Jan-16 23:47:17

cadburys label their products well go by v sign. Other choc companies arent so good so keep tiny book or app with you to refer to. or dont buy if theres doubt. If you were a veggy or vegan u wouldnt consume a product ifvthere was doubt same rule.

remember v sign doesnt cover alcohol so need to read list to check that especially in luxurybrands like thorntons (not really luxury anymore?) Or belgian chocs

Could be worse in other european countries you wont find such detailed labelling reharding ingredients or nutrition particularly calories and sugar we are lucky

AlwaysStarving Mon 11-Jan-16 08:02:06

Sorry was supposed to say *so i pass on them. Also i second katarzyna about the alcohol. Thorntons now label their chocs properly to say no alcohol!

BoringlyRestrictive Mon 11-Jan-16 10:30:56

I just wanted to get a general feel for whether this was a an actual thing or just h H being paranoid again.

Once my divorce is under way and he has moved out then now I don't plan to follow a strict halal diet.

kinkytoes Mon 11-Jan-16 21:00:26

Ah I didn't realise he was still living with you. Good luck.

MeadowHay Mon 11-Jan-16 21:19:11

Hello, veggie Muslim here!

Never heard of this before about Cadbury's as a brand. Generally, if I know a brand labels their products as suitable for vegetarians, then I wouldn't buy something of theirs without that label out of caution (would have done the same before I was veggie, and my Muslim parents also do the same). If it's not clear whether the brand ever use a suitable for vegetarians branding, then I read ingredients. If the gelatine is not halal, then that would have been a no. The real problem is ingredients that are not so obvious. I learnt about cochineal a long time ago and was sure to avoid it, but sometimes I do read things that I have no clue what they are, and I wonder whether there could potentially be animal derivatives in them that could make them not suitable for vegetarians - although when this is the case, it is often fish derivatives, which would still be halal. I tend to try and look up ingrediants I'm unsure of, or avoid if unsure, but being totally honest it does sometimes depend on my mood, sometimes if I'm not 100% sure I go for it anyway sometimes I don't, same with my parents and most Muslims I know. The thing is that all Muslims have such varying degrees of strictness. However it's clearly not sinful in any way to consume products that are not halal if you reasonably believed them to be, and Islam is supposed to be easy so you could argue it's not really reasonable to have to trawl through and look up every ingredient just in case it has a tiny amount of animal in it. On the flip side you could say it's reasonable to just avoid anything you're unsure of so...that's religion for you, you can do what you like with it. -shrug-

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now