Do you worry about where your DC will fit in?

(3 Posts)
sososotired Mon 12-May-14 19:35:37

My DS is a little mix. I'm 1/2african 1/2 western European DH is Eastern European and our bundle of joy was born in the UK.
People are often nice and friendly until they hear my accent and then change. I am "the foreign mum" ok fine yes I am but where does my child fit in? Do these people bring their kids up that racist aswell?

92littlecat92 Tue 20-May-14 09:08:00

I am still expecting my first child, but having worked with children and been a much older sister, in my experience small children are often much more tolerant than their parents.

SavoyCabbage Tue 20-May-14 09:18:22

It's definitely an issue.

I make sure I have books about mixed race of otherwise different families. There are quite a lot on American Amazon.

www.amazon.com/Violet-Tania-Duprey-Stehlik/dp/1897187602/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1400573747&sr=8-6&keywords=Violet

This one is about being mixed race and it's good. I like the ones where race isn't mentioned like "where's gran"

www.amazon.com/Wheres-Gran-David-Rhys/dp/1870516370

I draw attention to non conforming families and talk about them.

I try to praise my dds beauty and hair as it is not like their friends.

We experience a steady stream of casual racism as we live in Australia so it comes up often.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now