Complicated mixed race question

(7 Posts)
KatyMac Sun 27-Apr-14 08:42:41

DD is mixed race - dad Jamaican & mum British. She refers to herself as 'mixed race' rather than dual heritage because she accepts both of her parents are not from a homogeneous background.

She has asked if she were to have a child with someone who was also of the same background - would that child also be 'mixed race' or would there be a better term as both sets of grandparents were the same (dad Jamaican & mum British)

I immediately said no they would be mixed but then I started thinking......what if?

rubyflipper Sun 27-Apr-14 08:45:37

Your grandchildren can call themselves whatever they like. It will be their call, not ours.

zippey Sun 27-Apr-14 08:51:16

I don't think it really matters, or helps to pigeonhole people into groups. Th child can call themselves what they want - mixed race, half caste, dual heritage... It doesn't matter as long as child is comfortable with themselves. I would avoid even making it as issue.

KatyMac Sun 27-Apr-14 08:51:43

I know - but I though the idea that mixed race was in itself a descriptor/ethnicity was an interesting one

caramelwaffle Sun 27-Apr-14 09:04:38

Mixed race.

As a stand alone descriptor, just as haffu (Japanese mixed race) for example, has become a stand alone descriptor.

You may be interested in the "Mixed race and proud" page on Facebook if you use it.

KatyMac Sun 27-Apr-14 09:35:08

I think her idea was that her potential children would not be mixed race as the parents were of the same ethnicity....which brought up interesting possibilities imo

I'll look on Facebook, thanks

Iflyaway Wed 28-May-14 23:47:42

A few more great FB pages:

Mixed Nation

Mixed World United

Love Crosses Borders

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now