Caribbean vs African, what's the beef?

(17 Posts)
misslala1987 Fri 26-Apr-13 14:03:16

Ok yes this may sound strange to some and more familiar to others, i just find it abit odd. i know its 2 different cultures and theres always going to be butting heads but ive heard so much 'africans stink and theyre all scammers' 'oh caribbeans are lazy and crazy' im in an 11 year relationship with a black caribbean man (british born) his fathers side is jamaican, mothers side (black) dominican. despite having friends that are african and our brother inlaw being nigerian, with 3 half nigerian nephews. my other half will easily talk down about africans and has mentioned on numerous occasions that our children, particularly our daughter will not bring home a guy of african descent. ive also many many time heard my inlaws make jokes about african people. then i have heard african talk about how they as people look down on caribbeans. obviously not all feel this way i.e my sis inlaw and her partner. i just dont understand it? as far as im concerned my children can bring home who they wish, its no problem to me. my mother was born and partly raised in nigeria so ive been raised to have some sort of respect for africa even as a white british women and despite my own nationality i feel quite defensive when my partner does talk so badly. anyone else experienced this? or is even guilty of this? please share your experience and your views.............

msrisotto Fri 26-Apr-13 14:04:16

I dunno, is it like English people and the French? grin

misslala1987 Fri 26-Apr-13 14:07:34

im not sure? why whats that all about?

msrisotto Fri 26-Apr-13 14:10:00

Like the Scots vs. the English too - based on rivalries that are millennia old but some people enjoy a bit of bigotry...

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 26-Apr-13 14:17:32

Yes I notice this a lot! Jamaicans are lazy and drug dealers with 10 baby mothers and Africans are smelly scammers who suck pum up and down everywhere. Not really sure why it's like this though.

msrisotto Fri 26-Apr-13 14:18:27

pum?

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 26-Apr-13 14:23:16

Sorry it was a patois joke. I assumed (wrongly) you would get it. Another word for fanjo.

misslala1987 Fri 26-Apr-13 14:24:20

you dont want to know, thats gross lol

msrisotto Fri 26-Apr-13 15:05:32

lol, i'm glad I didn't google it then!

Tryharder Wed 01-May-13 13:00:16

A friend of mine comes from a very well to do African family. Her Dad nearly disowned her sister when she had a baby with a British Jamaican man.

My DH is African though and loves Jamaicans so not everyone is like that!

bluegaloo Sat 04-May-13 21:00:16

I thought of some more comparisons:

Americans about Canadians;
Lots of English about Liverpudlians;
Everyone North of the Watford Gap about Londoners;
Everyone down South about us Mancunians!

Stereotyping everywhere! Most of it is taken/said lightly-heartedly.

Remind your husband that children always want most, the things they are told they can't have, so maybe he should try being a little less vocal about his views.

Good luck

dina75 Mon 20-May-13 12:45:28

It is a racist attitude, same as it would be if a white family was against their child marrying a black person or vice versa. I wouldn't allow such views to be expressed in front of my kids.

mumlawyer83 Wed 03-Jul-13 12:12:47

I won't go into the family dynamics but my husband and I are mixed race, the families are Indian, Jamaican, Grenadian, English, Romany Gypsy, Portuguese Ugandan. (I'm very mixed, if that's a term). The racism between some West Indians and some Africans runs deep. You might also be familiar with some West Indians disliking others, likewise with Africans ie Some Ghanaians disliking Nigerians.

It seems an unfortunate part of human nature, it's not really any more surprising to hear Jamaicans saying something derrogatory about Nigerians than to hear a Pakistani do it about a Bengali person or an English about an Irish person. Sadly it is what some people do.

It stems from historical attitudes that become engrained. For example, the Jim Crow Laws on how to keep the slaves brought from Africa to the West Indies was to set them against each other and create divisions wherever possible, light skinned against dark skinned for example, try to teach the black people to hate each other.

Historically there are lots of stories of nations of all races and where their dislike of each other stems from. Some ignorant people continue with that to this day. In sports we pick a team that we belong to and do the other teams down. I think that some people take that into their own lives, they like to feel that they are part of the superior team. Sometimes it's not even team race, or team country sometimes it's about having the lightest skin, or your postcode, or your buggy, or your accent. Anything that makes your team better than the others. Some prejudices are more damaging than others, but I think that they all come from wanting to belong to the best team and being a bit ignorant.

It's not all black people, it's not all white people, it's not all Asian people. As a human race some of us are fine, some of us are ignorant and want to carry on the rubbish. Some of us don't even know it's rubbish because we didn't stop to question the things that our great great great great grandparents believed or that a newspaper told us.

misslala1987 Fri 13-Dec-13 12:20:55

True it must be alot deeper than it appears. Im white British but my mum was born and bred in Nigeria and I've grown up with having a sort of respect for Nigeria. I know there's differences culturally that can cause tension but as far as im concerned my children are being raised to have respect and love who ever they wish to love and be friends with who ever. They do have friends of Ghanaian descent round to play. My husband will still continue his ways but I guess it's down to me to keep my kids minds open aswell as keeping them in touch and proud of their Caribbean roots. Because im the one who cooks the food, braids their hair etc anyone would think im the Caribbean parent! Lol

Serendipity30 Sun 27-Apr-14 01:27:55

Whats the beef between the Britsh and the irish or the british and the french?

BreakingDad77 Sun 27-Apr-14 01:52:41

It just highlights racism comes in all colours and forms, have heard the 'grandad sold you' jibe about west Indies Africans from pure Africans.

Have heard Indians talking about 'stinking pack...'

There was a radio show where a strong elderly west Indies lady wished that she was spoken to by a white policeman instead of an Asian one as she said that the latter are racist to the dj's disbelief.

I have worked in several African countries and middle east, it always exists in some form.

Caterpillar2001 Tue 10-Jun-14 22:32:59

I once heard a West African say about a West African of the same nationality, however with the Portuguese surname Da Silva: "He is a descendant of slaves." My puzzled expression followed by an incredulous "What?!" prompted an explanation which indicated that many West Africans consider people of West Indian descent to be inferior, not only because they see them as descendants of slaves, but also because they consider them to be without culture, traditions and strong family values in the African sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now