What do I tick for DS on the ethnicity question?

(35 Posts)
Purplelooby Fri 21-Sep-12 14:29:13

So far I told the HV 'I don't know' and she kept in blank. I know that ethnicity is considered to be a choice which is why it is now used in place of race, but I can't ask my baby what he chooses to be!

Basically, DS is 3/4 white 1/4 Chinese by genetics (I'm white). In fact his Grandad is from Indonesian and has never been to China, so whilst DH is very proud of his heritage (and wants DS to be too) he has always found it confusing to answer the inevitable race questions (he looks fully Chinese).

DS has a Chinese middle name that has been proudly chosen by his Grandfather. Er, anyone with children who are 3/4 White 1/4 Something Else - have you ticked 'Mixed Race' or 'White'?

Phoebe47 Mon 11-Mar-13 11:12:24

I just fill in the basics on these forms. As far as I am concerned all the school needs to know is my children's names, date of birth, address the family live at and contact phone numbers for dh and myself and any other family member who could collect them if necessary if dh and I unavailable. I also give name and address and contact number for GP and details of any medical conditions - one of my children is asthmatic. It is obvious they are mixed race. Most of the extra details schools ask are just for govt. statistics. Sod that !

nailak Sun 10-Mar-13 01:56:25

anee how does ethnicity make us who we are exactly?

nailak Sun 10-Mar-13 01:55:23

I dont like the forms because the classifications are nonsense, for example how can someones ethnicity be Bengali if at the time when their grandmothers were born Bangladesh didnt exist? and how can Pakistani/Bengali be an ethnicity, yet Sri Lankan/ Afghanistani isnt?

and what about Other African? in some forms you have Somali, Nigerian, Other Black African. So what if you are Asian African? Or WHite African? and what does a whole continent have in common anyway? what can it really tell you? and why do 2 countries get a separate classification?

I tick prefer not to say, on the basis I dont feel a sense of belonging or identity based on ethnicity.

Selks Sun 10-Mar-13 01:27:08

I hate those bloody forms and how they always seem to have 'white british' at the top of the list. Grrr.

NishiNoUsagi Sun 10-Mar-13 00:59:49

I'm white British, husband is Japanese, for the kids I always tick "mixed - other" as there's no Japanese option, then stick a note next to the box saying half white/half Japanese, just for them to be aware of any illnesses etc that may be more prevalent in Japanese (not that I know of any!)

islingtongirl I think I've seen "mixed - Chinese" on the forms, if that helps, I remember almost ticking that thinking, "well, close enough!!" smile

islingtongirl Fri 08-Mar-13 22:23:07

Interested in this thread as I am currently pregnant with my first child - I'm white British and my Husband is of Chinese origin. Haven't even thought about this, although I guess it's quite simple as my DC will be half white half Asian. I don't think I mind filling in a form and ticking "other" or "mixed" as that is what he/she will be - I want them to be proud of their mixed heritage smile

Corygal Fri 08-Mar-13 13:08:00

I don't know what to say - I am a quarter Indian, but all our side of the family come out sheet white. I have got a UK Passport, as has my Indian-born mother who could have got the Timotei girl gig in her heyday.

Is there a box for "Somewhat Paler than Expected"?

If not, why not - it makes as much sense as the other options.

anee90 Fri 08-Mar-13 12:57:54

Tick Mixed, I don't understand not liking the form, its just a form! If he is mixed then tick that, they usually have chinese/white on some forms i have found.

There is nothing wrong with being proud and defining all aspects of DS ethnicity. It what makes us who we are after all

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Mon 14-Jan-13 19:49:39

I'm "any other mixed background"

Chopstheduck Mon 14-Jan-13 19:46:37

My dts are 1/2 white, 1/2 Indian, so we ticke mixed.

You say about him having the choice, annoyingly both my dts refer to themselves as brown and most def not white! Dt1 looks Indian, dt2 looks mixed.

giveitago Mon 14-Jan-13 19:42:50

I don't bother with these forms too much. The only time it helped my ds was to get a tb jab when he was a baby as it was only offered to babies who were at risk ie people with connections in developing countries. So I bigged it up for him and the midwife agreed that with his part asian background and family in africa they'd do it. So turn up to the place to have the jab and the nurse gets all sniffy about my 'white' child. I get sniffy back with her and get it done. End of. Job done.She had the f'ing cheek to ask me his credentials to have it done.

I don't take them very seriously as I don't think I ever ever need to explain my multicultural credentials these days (given the shit that it spouted on about it) - as I'vce been this way my entire life no matter my name or what I look like, ta - and I've told the same to my ds who goes to an achingly 'hip' 'muliticultural school'. He can put down all 5 backgrounds or whatever he wants to. Don't really care.

The only time I take it seriously is with medical stuff as background can explain certain conditions.

OddBoots Mon 07-Jan-13 16:45:03

I hate asking this question at work (a pre-school) as it does feel like an outdated concept, some of our children are amazingly mixed.

MonoBrowser Mon 07-Jan-13 16:43:22

Tick mixed. My kids are 1/4 black Caribbean, 1/4 Hispanic, 1/2 Irish. I always go for Mixed 'Other' and write in their heritage. Why the hell shouldnt I? grin

mindgone Mon 07-Jan-13 16:39:01

Mine are 'mixed other' as they are an Egyptian Irish
British mix! They look quite white, one more than the other, but I think to put them down as 'white British' is to deny their heritage, which we are all very proud of!

ohfunnyhoneyface Tue 01-Jan-13 10:30:57

I always put 'other' as none of the boxes ever feel right!

lynniep Tue 01-Jan-13 10:29:23

I generally just put mixed race or other or just dont answer the forms. How far are you supposed to drill down? If your ds is say 1/8 chinese 1/8 indian etc etc- do you bother with that? I wouldn't. I'm mixed race, so my DSs are 1/4 thai and I put mixed race when DS1 was younger but now I generally ignore it.

Anifrangapani Tue 01-Jan-13 10:22:27

Hinze 57 gets penciled in on any of those silly forms aI have to fill in.

JaquelineHyOnChristmasSpirit Tue 01-Jan-13 10:19:01

You know exactly what the ethnicity of your son is as you have told us quite easily.

He is mixed and you can choose to elaborate on that on the forms if you wish to. You could even write the exact splits on the form create your own box and tick that!

justhayley Tue 01-Jan-13 10:08:20

Actually reading this thread I'm thinking tick mixed race. I always tend to think of mixed as half Half for some reason, but it's true, mixed race doesn't state the proportions your talking about so quarters are mixed race as well

justhayley Tue 01-Jan-13 10:04:21

Ooo glad this is on here. I'm mixed race (1/2 White 1/2 black) an my DP Is White. Do people still say quarter cast? I know half cast isn't ever used but what happens with the 3/4 ers lol. Our DS to look at is totally White - somehow he's come out with blonde hair and blue eyes, infact he's lighter than his dad lol. However I don't want him to just think he's White, especially when he's at school as his friends might get a shock if he describes himself as White and then they meet mehmm. I was thinking about forms the other day, I think I may tick the other box for him. Although I hated being other!

MoRaw Mon 31-Dec-12 21:25:32

Pinkchatz, "mixed" does not mean half and half. Mixed can mean any "mixture" (for want of a better word). So your kids are mixed albeit in different proportions to you.

At the end of the day, it is the individual preference. I often think far too much is made of this tick the box. It is for administrative purposes (often important ones) and does not define you or your child. Just tick the one that most closely applies.

My son is mixed, does not look mixed (REALLY does not look mixed) but that is what he is factually and as such that is what I will tick and will encourage him to see himself as. I do not want him to spend to much time agonizing about what he should tick or what he is. He should acknowledge he is mixed and just move on with his life as this his success will not be dependent on what box best describes him - it is but a minor distraction.

ruddynorah Thu 27-Dec-12 08:34:50

I put mixed. Mine are 1/4 and 3/4 mix thought those portions are also mixed. Both look very white indeed, but their grandad is Moroccan.

Soila Thu 27-Dec-12 08:32:12

But you do know what he is. You just told us - "DS is 3/4 white 1/4 Chinese"

My 21 year old daughter is 3/4 black and 1/4 white born in the UK and holds a French passport - we have always ticked mixed race because that's exactly what she is.

You see even if you leave it blank now, the question will come up - from him.

Himalaya Sun 23-Dec-12 10:34:06

I am 1/4 Asian 3/4 white - I tick mixed race on forms.
The DCs are only 1/8 Asian and look white, so I tick white for them.

CaptainNancy Sun 23-Dec-12 10:18:34

There really should be a 'multinational' option! grin
We usually end up with 'other', sometimes for children 'white other'.
Thing is that medical professionals do distinguish between different 'white's (for things like sickle cell for instance)
I find it frustrating that there's no wordings for people who are mixed with mixed parents- thouugh on my pg notes, they allowed you to tick as many boxes as represented your heritage IIRC, which helped a bit (though midwife wasbemused to see so many ticks tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now