Reccommendations for a good combing/leave-in conditioner

(34 Posts)
KatyMac Sat 03-Mar-12 20:20:18

We used to use herbal essences but since the the change of formula it's only good for a washing/rinsing conditioner

What do other people use?

cheapandchic Thu 29-Mar-12 15:06:42

Organix Ever Straight Brazilian Keratin Therapy Conditioner

just thought I would jump in and tell you that I have just tried this on my daughter and its fantastic.

I comb it through while wet in bath. Then just sort of gently rinse out, leaving some in. Then a short blow dry with diffuser and her curls are so soft and perfectly formed. Smells nice too.

WhatAboutMeSalon Sun 25-Mar-12 04:16:56

We find the best leave-in conditioner for mixed race hair is made by Original Sprout. If you ever need advice about mixed race hair please feel free to give us a cal or even pop in. We're based in Wimbledon. www.whataboutme.eu

WhatAboutMeSalon Sun 25-Mar-12 04:15:43

We find the best leave-in conditioner for mixed race hair is made by Original Sprout. If you ever need advice about mixed race hair please feel free to give us a cal or even pop in. We're based in Wimbledon. www.whataboutme.eu

KatyMac Sat 17-Mar-12 14:41:19

Actually I think that's what DD does

No shampoo (well once a month/6 weeks)
Rinsing conditioner
Leave in conditioner
Then separate and define

I'll try your method with the brush for separating

The big problem this year has been dull, clumpy hair and dandruff which I think were all caused by the change in formula (at least they are better now fingers crossed)

maygirl Sat 17-Mar-12 14:14:01

Ooops I don't curlygirl- that's another method I have used but wasn't great for my hair type. I use Terri's method on TightlyCurly.com. I have the book too. I think we're using the same method katymac but thought should clarify in case anyone new comes on here seeking help! I'm sorry DD is finding it a nightmare. Maybe its not working as well now cos she's been eking out her old Herbal Essences? You really need to use big handfuls of conditioner for it to work. That's the trouble with Aussie Moist- the bottle is pretty small! My hair is shoulder length now when curly, boob length when stretched out. As its not as long as Terri's I find I can speed up the defining step by taking about inch wide piece of hair and brush through again with my Denman. Then I keep hold of the ends loosely in fingers of one hand, the brush has split the section into my individual curls, so I use fingers on other hand to define 2-3 curls at once, letting them drop down till the whole section is defined. This way really speeds it up rather than trying to pick out each curl one by one. HTH
Are there any other bits of the method your DD is struggling with Katymac?

KatyMac Wed 14-Mar-12 14:08:45

It's a nightmare for DD; she is struggling to learn how to deal with it

maygirl Tue 13-Mar-12 14:13:52

Yes katymac I do curlygirl. I saw on the bottle it said New Formula, then looked at tightlycurly.com and she'd removed it. I've tried the new formula and it just doesn't work as well. I've got Aveda Be Curly and it doesn't do the job, the curls don't last in the same way. I have also tried Blended Beauty curl styling butter which is in the book but I find it too greasy. I'm loving the non-greasy hair after years of having to slap on loads of afro hair products! Try the others I've mentioned though, they really do work and all contain the ingredient that has been removed from the new Herbal Essences- stearamidopropyl dimethylamine- this must be a key ingredient for the method!

crazynanna Tue 13-Mar-12 08:49:09

Sorry...keep thinking of things so as can get the right advice for you...as there are so many products and I don't want to suggest the wrong one to you.

Would you say her hair is more curl...or frizz....or both?

crazynanna Tue 13-Mar-12 08:47:17

Ok Katy it will give her an idea of conditioner type to suggest.

Will get back to you smile

KatyMac Tue 13-Mar-12 08:44:42

I think it's mixed up maybe some 3c & 4a but it's difficult to tell really

crazynanna Tue 13-Mar-12 08:28:03

grin

bdaonion Tue 13-Mar-12 08:18:45

After all that I crossed posts with crazynanna

bdaonion Tue 13-Mar-12 08:17:40
bdaonion Tue 13-Mar-12 08:15:13

Link did not work beauty.net

bdaonion Tue 13-Mar-12 08:14:04

I'm glad I'm not alone dealing with the joys of mixed race hair grin

I've just invested in some Kinky Curly products (sorry can't link from the phone) and the leave-in conditioner and hair custard (?!) is really nice. A bit pricey but all natural products and don't need to use much.

beauty.net curl types is one site for categorising the curls. DD is a mixture of 3C and 4A and has lots and lots of it confused

crazynanna Tue 13-Mar-12 08:01:57
KatyMac Tue 13-Mar-12 07:49:42

No I don't know the hairtype thingie - which site is that on?

crazynanna Tue 13-Mar-12 07:45:17

Aveda Be Curly is apparently the best thing my dd has tried...but pricy!

crazynanna Tue 13-Mar-12 07:44:40

Do you know this 'hairtype' scale thingy? 3b...4a....4c etc?

If so,what type is your dd so as I can ask my dd...as she says she can visualise someone's hair by knowing their hairtype.

nkf Tue 13-Mar-12 07:43:50

If you're feeling very rich, aveda be curly us also nice. Lasts no time at all.

crazynanna Tue 13-Mar-12 07:42:09

You're welcome smile

My adult dd is getting a bit of an expert now with her hair...it's only taken her 26 years!

I will ask her suggestions when I next speak to her and report back

nkf Tue 13-Mar-12 07:42:05

Sorry. Shea butter.

nkf Tue 13-Mar-12 07:41:21

Mixed chicks is a lovely range but expensive. She's butter us also good and cheap.

KatyMac Tue 13-Mar-12 07:39:21

The thing is crazynana, nothing else we have tried has been as good as herbal essences

I'm so grateful for you, btw as we wouldn't have know it was different formula grin

crazynanna Tue 13-Mar-12 07:35:17

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now