Anyone with Algerian husband?

(59 Posts)
doublemuvver Sat 05-Mar-11 12:17:45

Curious to know of others married to Algerians and what, if any, cultural differences/issues you have experienced. We've been married 6 years and have 2 kids (twins). Life is a bit of a rollercoaster sometimes.

BeeMyBaby Thu 30-Aug-12 17:43:11

I was there in june for 5 weeks͵ heat must be horrendous now? are you in a house or a flat? Could you get your dh or mil to take you to the botanical gardens- one of the few lovely things i saw there.

bringmesunshine2009 Tue 04-Sep-12 13:18:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bringmesunshine2009 Tue 04-Sep-12 13:19:31

BeeMyBaby Thu 06-Sep-12 13:56:14

too true about the caster sugar, their cocoa powder is also no longer up to scratch generally...
To be fair they actually have very good satellite tv, lots of films in English.

Sorry to hear about your split though sunshine, do you let your xh take the boys back home with him ever?

bringmesunshine2009 Thu 06-Sep-12 22:02:34

BeeMyBaby Fri 07-Sep-12 13:20:20

Unfortunately too true...

bringmesunshine2009 Fri 07-Sep-12 23:19:41

worldcitizen Mon 10-Sep-12 17:29:31

Hello Ladies, I have an innocent question to you all and hope it does come across that it is an honest question without the intent of being rude or hurtful.

Would you have listened to anyone, either good friend or family member, or maybe a more neutral person, about possible traps, difficulties, cultural/religious differences, and even more the "special type" of person this man might be.

Would you have listened?

I would like to elaborate why I am asking, but am not sure if anyone is still reading this thread?!

lhughes90 Thu 13-Sep-12 22:03:28

ADVICE PLEASE!

Hi, i am currently with an algerian man and we are planning to go visit his family in april. this will be my first time in algeria and out of the US, it is also possible that we will get married while we are there...please any advice will help...first like getting the visa and things like that and second everything else. his family is not too fond of me because i am not muslim and i do not plan on converting. we plan to stay for 3 months. i am very excited but dreading it at the same time. no a/c and no affection with him around anyone is going to be hard. i told him i refuse to let him go out and me sit in the house the whole time with his family. his family lives in a small city outside the village they used to live in, we will also be visiting the village. he is berber, not arabic. i have NO IDEA what its going to be like and i am also wondering if it is safe because the us travel website said it isnt safe do to terrorist attacks...also if we get married i have no idea what they do or what it would be like... please help smile smile smile

BeeMyBaby Fri 14-Sep-12 14:18:50

Yes I'm still in the UK sunshine

Worldcitizen I was told by various people but didn't listen, however, although the relationship is hard I wouldn't say I regretted it in any way and my DH is still very much dear to me.

hughes getting married in Algeria takes quite a long time, for further info you should look over the Algeria.com website as it has a lot of info on what you need to get married in Algeria, I think it took around 4 months from our application to getting the OK - you will need a CONI, etc and blood tests when you are there (to check for HIV), everything must be translated into French and its cheapest to do this in Algeria at around £5 a page. You will need to get a tourist visa and therefore you will need your husbands family to write you an invite from their town hall. Obviously you are aware that there should be no hand holding etc, and the actual civil marriage part just involves you signing the marriage cert. Even though you are not Muslim it can be a good idea to wear a hijab in the cities, although in the Berber villages nobody really wears one. Is your husband from Bejaia?

lhughes90 Sat 15-Sep-12 00:58:56

BeMyBaby yes my boyfriend is from Bejaia. His family lives in Akbou. Do you feel its safe there?..the only reason i am asking is because the american government travel website says there is a terrorist warning for americans traveling to algeria. but he says i will be safe with him. we will also be visiting algiers..and do you think it is disrespectful not to cover myself while in the cities? any tips or suggestions?..sorry i have like a million questions lol.

BeeMyBaby Sat 15-Sep-12 15:36:16

hughes I think there has been an advisory notice in the UK not to visit algeria for years due to terrorism (Algeria is full of check points on the roads because of the constant threat), my advice is just learn a few berber words and try not to talk in public too much if you're worried (this also helps keep market stall prices down). Personally I feel very safe there but I avoid public transport (more so because its very uncomfortable). Akbou is fine, my BIL actually rents a shop there. Its not disrespectful not to wear hijab in Algiers, more that you will be stared at, especially if you stay in a more Islamic part of the city - I wore maxi dresses with long sleeved tops & a hijab when out and think I didn't stand out too much.

lhughes90 Wed 19-Sep-12 19:19:17

BeeMyBaby thank you for all your advice smile

doublemuvver Wed 26-Sep-12 22:09:02

world citizen one of my friends was concerned we wouldn't be able to talk about punk rock. I told him there were many other topics in the world. Plus I had an Arabic cover of a Clash song as my first dance smile

javotte Tue 02-Oct-12 20:32:01

hugues my husband is from Akbou. I felt safe last time we went (but we travelled to and from Algiers with DH's uncle, who is a policeman). You don't have to cover your head, especially in Kabyla.

XAQSHNR Mon 07-Jan-13 17:44:38

lhuges90 (& anyone else) - Maybe you can help me? My husband & I got married in April, 2013 in Tunisia. He still lives in Algeria. I am a U/S. citizen, but I live in the Caribbean. So far we have been unsuccessful in obtaining a Transitional VISA/Passport that will allow him to travel directly here through Germany, France, Spain, or Italy. I would like him to be here first, than we will start the process of a Spousal VISA to the U.S. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. confused Sincerely, Juana PS Thank God for Skype!!!

papa123 Wed 09-Jan-13 20:52:20

you can alwaysgo to algeria and get married there its easier for him to get a visa . good luck

Merieme Tue 26-Feb-13 18:12:20

Hi ladies,
I dont blame you tbh, although I am originally algerian i was born and bread in london, and i also find the same cultural diffictuties when i visit.
As a young girl i promised myself not to get married to an algerian, and after 10 years or so i find that am doing just that. As I am both Algerian and English, I can give you the different view points and how their (mens)mentalities change.

Merieme Tue 26-Feb-13 18:17:27

@javotte, there is seriously nothing to worry about. answering your question, no you dont need to cover up algeria is more western then western countries, although you might want to in order to avoid getting a sun burn!

Merieme Tue 26-Feb-13 18:50:44

Even as an algerian i feel overwhelmed with all the culture, the way that we worked this out was by communicating. As long as your man supports you, you have nothing to worry about and sometimes you do need to remind them that just because you are not algerian/arab that doesnt mean they can take you for granted. my grandad once said to me 'if you eat, and shit you can surly cook and clean!!'loool

(so happy that i have found people that are in a similar situation to me)

youarepricelessforme Sun 07-Jul-13 13:16:20

bringmesunshine deleted all her post but why? did she say something horrible ?is she crazy anyway i've got everything copied and well kept for the kids to see the lies of their mum when they get older she destroyed the family she is greedy ,she is hypocrit when she say she converted she has abducted the kids fom their father just because it was playing on her mind that i may take them she betrayed me and all my family i never had the intention to remove the kids from her she just decided not to move to algeria so she did a big mess for her plan .she is evil ,how can she do this to her husband to her kids ,she ignored everyone and then she comes her on mnet and pretend to be the victim .allah akbar on her and all the evil people who are helping her to separate the kids from their father

walterwhiteswife Wed 25-Dec-13 14:22:02

bringmesunshine I hope you are safe and well and well away from him.

BeeMyBaby Fri 27-Dec-13 20:31:23

Ditto!

worldcitizen Sat 28-Dec-13 14:15:48

Hey hello, just found this thread again and saw that some have actually responded to my question. So sorry, but this thread didn't show up as being continued anymore...sorry.
I'll read the responses and then will write again, if you're all still there smile

walterwhiteswife Mon 30-Dec-13 14:46:01

what was you're questions? ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now