1/4 black 3/4 white children: what do they look like?!

(73 Posts)
Mahraih Mon 12-Jul-10 15:01:07

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here! I'm 1/2 black African, 1/2 white and my bf is just ... white.

I know lots of mixed race people, but all tend to be 1/2 and 1/2, I've never seen anyone who is quarter black. Just out of curiosity, really, I'm starting to wonder what my baby will look like, porentially? How does hair come out, will skull shape still be african and will the african nose hold out? I'm just a bit curious.

I'm pretty half and half. I look, just, like a 'caucasianised' black person. Lighter, with curly hair and a slightly thinner nose, but definitely of black origin.

So if anyone knows any quarter black children - what do they tend to look like?

Apologies if this causes offence - it is literally just curiosity.

BeehiveBaby Mon 12-Jul-10 15:05:21

I don't think you can tell, my friend has 2 1/4 Indian DCs, one who looks 'fully' Indian and the other completely caucasian. My white sister has half African DCs who look exactly like her with darker skin but very very different physiques. You get a suprise!

FranSanDisco Mon 12-Jul-10 15:05:25

It depends which dominant/recessive genes your child inherits I guess.

My friends DC are the same race ratio that your baby will be and tbh to me they look like a mixture of their mum and dad.

Not much help I know!

Fwiw, my DS1 is darker skinnned than their DC and he is white so I think you may just have to wait and see smile

bran Mon 12-Jul-10 15:07:53

It really varies IME. You'll just have to wait and see. grin

My DD is a quarter black caribbean, quarter white and half indian. I think she definitely looks a little bit black, with loose curly hair and a low bridge on her nose, but when we out together as a family she looks like our birth child (me white, dh Indian) who happens to have curly hair and a button nose.

FranSanDisco Mon 12-Jul-10 15:09:54

My friend is half white and half Asian with brown eyes and hair. Her dh is white with blond hair and brown eyes. He dd is blond haired and blue eyed. Apparently, friend's maternal gran has blue eyes. I am sure your baby will be gorgeous.

Mahraih Mon 12-Jul-10 15:10:34

Wait and see, darn, thought that might be the consensus. So very irritating!

Oh well, as long as it doesn't get his nose, we're ok!

FreakoidOrganisoid Mon 12-Jul-10 15:11:19

Depends, don't think there is a standard tbh.

My friend's dc are quarter black and they look the same as my half black children, if anything hers have slightly darker skin but very similar features.

Another friend's ds(also a quarter black)has caucasion features and straight hair but very dark skin.

Yet another friend is South African coloured (eg his parents are coloured as are his grandparents etc he wasn't born to one white and one black parent), his wife is white and they have a dd with white skin and black features (but straight hair) and a ds with dark skin, caucasion features and a blond afro.

I think you will just have to wait and see...

darcymum Mon 12-Jul-10 15:12:40

Gorgeous, you baby will be gorgeous.

I don't know anything about genetics but I think they could come out one million different ways, anything from darker than you to lighter than your bf. I always think mixed race people are very good looking though and it seems to me the more different races you can get in the better looking the outcome.

I know someone 1/4 black they just look white to me with a bit of a sun tan but I think the above is true, any number of outcomes.

Congratulations and good luck.

ps. Have you tried photo shopping pictures of you a bf?

FranSanDisco Mon 12-Jul-10 15:14:43

My friend and her dh are both black and when their son was born she was asked if her dh was white by a nurse as he was so light skinned. Friend was a little taken aback by the question. Her ds is now the spitting image of his dad, a 'mini me' grin

Mahraih Mon 12-Jul-10 15:22:11

Sounds like there are lots of possibilities ...

Darcymum: NO, I so haven't. But I'm going to do that. Copiously! Great suggestion.

FranSanDisco: I've heard about that happening before! I think black and mixed race babies are born rather light, then darken. I am now brown (light-ish I guess) but was born white, properly white, and they thought I was Chinese!

Cool, thanks everyone ... nobody's commented on a 1/4 black child they knew with tentacles or anything so smiles all round grin

NorkyButNice Mon 12-Jul-10 15:27:12

DS is white with blond curly hair and blue eyes. DH and I have the same genetic makeup as you mention.

DC2 is due tomorrow and I'm expecting someone who looks completely different!

DS is 1/2 white, 1/4 black and 1/4 arab. He looks like his dad facially, but he has white skin and dark blonde hair. He has, however, developed quite a tan over the summer despite wearing suncream, which I never do! So I expect he will darken as he gets older and has more sun exposure. He has curly hair but not afro curly, and dark eyes (mine are blue) but I'd expect any child of ours to have dark eyes.

DH is medium brown grin his older sisters are light brown and his younger sisters are really dark, so it's pretty random. My nephew's dad is pale arab but my nephew looks the spit of DH - far more like him than DS does!

marsiettina Mon 12-Jul-10 19:50:01

My friend has two girls with the same mix. One girl is blond with blue eyes and the other is brown hair brown eyes. Both the girls just look like white girls with a tan. The blond girl has a long straight nose, while the brown girl has a button nose.
There are quite a few children who I know with this mix. Most look like they have an all year tan with varying features ranging from button noses to straight noses. Some look like a light mix race (half black/half white), others look like Europeans and others look like a white child.
That is the thing with genes is that you never know how your child will come out, even if you are the same race.

pinkmagic1 Mon 12-Jul-10 21:31:44

I know of 2 people with this mix, one has white features but with a permanent tan, the other is white, but has blond afro hair and very black features.
My kids are half white/half North African Arab. DS has straight hair and white features. His skin is a pale olive and he could pass as white. DD on the other hand has very dark skin, afro hair and black features. many people think she is mixed white/black African or Caribbean which she is technically not.
There is no consistency whatsoever but your little one will be beautiful whatever.

Tasala Wed 21-Jul-10 19:10:08

I think it depends greatly on the colouring of the white parent. I know a mixed race girl that married a spanish bloke (white but with black hair/dark eyes) and the children look like her. But I have also seen quarter black kids that look very white if the white parent is very fair (ginger or blond).

Genetics are interesting! I also know a mixed asian/black family where the kids look black but have dead straight hair!

Kisha1993 Fri 23-Jul-10 00:28:24

Hi. Im 17. My dads mixed race and my mum's white ginger hair, which makes me a quarter black. My sister below me is 13 with both of the same parents.
Im quite pale, i guess you could say a tanned white person.I have light brown eyes and light brown hair. I have european hair, but its quite thicker than the usaul european hair. its hard to brush like the curls some mixed race people have. Most people say i look spanish,turkish or colombian. My sister is slightly darker than me, more 'yellow' and she has greeny-hazel eyes. I know someone the same race who is 'yellow' with grey eyes, but i also know someone who is as pale as me. it really does depend on how fair the white parent is. if they have darker blonde or brown hair with blue,brown,grey eyes, the child will tend to have a yellowy skin that looks like like a light mixed race colour with blue,grey,green eyes. If the whiter parent is fairer, then the child could come out pale but still not look fully white. if you want to see what i look like this is my facebook

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=65539&id=100001070791236#!/profile.php?id=12672102 90

hope this helped.

solo Fri 23-Jul-10 00:44:18

Every child is different. My Dd is a 1/4 west indian, 1/4 east indian and half white and she has blond hair and blue eyes. Both her father and I have dark brown eyes and dark hair. I'm olive skinned, he's dark skinned. Go figure! grin she really is beautiful though.

TinHelmet Fri 23-Jul-10 00:47:17

No way of knowing till the baby arrives. But rest assured, they will be beautiful!

exexpat Fri 23-Jul-10 00:49:01

I know one family with a white mother and mixed (half African) dad. One son looks quite like his dad - you can see the African genes in him; one looks more mediterranean (straight dark hair, olive skin), and the daughter has amazing blonde ringlets and very slightly olive skin. When you just see the children together they don't look related, but when you see them with the parents, it starts to make sense...

solo Fri 23-Jul-10 00:49:05

Also, Dd is very white and has european type, very curly hair.

My Ds has an all white father, so is only 1/4 east indian and yet he has brown eyes and olive skin. His father had blue eyes and was pasty white. I really don't think you can tell how babies will turn out.

butmummy Fri 23-Jul-10 00:55:14

It can go any way, I am fully Indian, dh fully White with light brown hair and green eyes - 2 kids fully white but with brown eyes and dark brown hair. Enjoy the surprise.

DNSmom Wed 25-Aug-10 15:10:50

Hi.

Im white and my OH is 3/4 black and 1/4 white.

Our children are beautiful but if you look at my photo you'll see the two boys are totally different.

My eldest has paler skin and straiter hair and my second son has darker skin and curly hair.

Im sure your baby will be lovely anyway

fabbydabbydoodah Mon 06-Sep-10 21:23:06

I'm 1/4 black and you can't tell at all apart from my nose and the rate I tan!

My Dad's Dad was from St Lucia, I have his nose but it's come out in other ways in some of my cousins - a few of them are very obviously from a mixed race family in terms of very curly hair or other typical physical traits.

I guess it comes out in everyone differently but I'm very proud of my heritage!

EleFunTess Fri 10-Sep-10 08:03:44

You can't tell, simple as that. Even when you ahve one child, there is no guarantee any furtherchildren will have the same colouring.

My husband is black, but quite fair skinned, as a result of lots of mixing in generations gone by in the West Indies - think he has Portugese and Spanish in there alongside Africam heritage. I am lily white Irish.

Our oldest child is olive skinned with dark brown eyes and black, European-textured curly hair. He has quite European facial features, too. People typically think he is South American or sometimes Turkish. Our daughter has very pale skin, as white as mine, although she tans well in the sun. She has hazel eyes and blonde, afro-textured hair, and much more African facial features.

We've stopped at two but I sometimes wish we could have a whole tribe of kids just to see the interesting mixtures me and DH can make!

Halzer Mon 20-Sep-10 21:35:16

I am 1/4 black and 3/4 white. Most people say I look arab, spanish, morroccan, Indian...but they never guess my true ethnicity. Its the same with my brother.

I think genes are really just pot-luck though.

hester Mon 20-Sep-10 21:48:40

I have about 20 cousins who have one black grandparent, and they cover the range: blonde hair and blue eyes, pale skin with brown afro, Mediterranean looking, black Caribbean looking...

Anything can happen - enjoy the anticipation!

Clayhead Mon 20-Sep-10 22:05:59

I am white and dh comes from Southern Europe, has very dark hair eyes and olive skin - both of our dc have blonde hair, very pale skin and blue eyes! It perplexes his relatives who just keep staring at them and touching their hair.

I expected one of them to get dark eyes or hair at least!

quartamixJay Fri 24-Sep-10 21:36:14

Hi there, I'm quarter cast. I'm 25% jamaican, 75% white. I'll be honest, my eldest syblin looks very mixed and people mistake her for 1/2 mixed. However, I look mostly white. I have some features in which are noticeable to detect some sorta mix. However, I am fair skinned. I have tightly curled hair and blue eyes Lol. Soo, basically we're diluted 1/2 mixed people. I've noticed that carribeans and africans have very different features in terms on nose shape, etc ...
nobody knows what the outcome will be. We are literally MIXED UP Lol. Thanks

giveitago Tue 28-Sep-10 13:44:05

Mixed kids look like their parents and and their ancestors ie they look like anything.

eg - I'm asian and european - I don't look english and I don't look indian - I look like me.

I've met anglo asians who have very dark hair and eyes and you'd be hard pressed to think they have european ancestry - you have blond hair blue eyed ones. The entire spectrum. That's what people with a wide variety of backgrounds look like.

My ds has my ancestry and has his father's southern european dad's ancestry. He looks like his dad ie very european and has my indian mother's jet black eyes. That's what he looks like. No big deal. I don't wish he looked more like this and more like that. What is he meant to look like? Certainly not a quarter this or half that etc.

Don't worry about it. It's just a look. They will be formed according to their family experiences.

Ematmp Tue 13-Sep-11 06:41:35

I'm 1/2 black 1/2 white and my husband is white. We have a 2yr old daughter and she is looks like me but white with blue eyes and light brown wavy/curly hair. We are planning having another child soon and I wonder if he or she will be lighter, darker or blue eyes. I hope that helps at all.

royaljelly Tue 20-Sep-11 23:40:15

I am 1/2 black and my partner is white.

All my children have been born with a full head of hair and also a mongolian blue spot, which usually disapears. My son has an almost spanish / italian complexion and brown eyes. He does have a romanesque nose with wide nostrils. When he was born he had brown hair and a very pale complexion. As I had an emergency c-section, I didn't believe he was mine when I woke up as he was so pale. He does tan very easily even with factor 50 and his hair goes blonde mainly at the front. Physique wise he is tall, slim and muscular like my Father's (black) side.

My daughter (also born with a full head of hair) has blue eyes!!.. My partner and I both have brown eyes), Her hair is brown and wavy and not as thick as my sons. She also has blonde highlights, (people think I have had them done professionally but it a throwback to my mothers heratige). Her hair is silky rather than course like my son. Her skin is slightly tanned and should save her a fortune in sunbeds.

She has my full lips but an european nose.

gorgehun80 Wed 07-Dec-11 21:09:31

Hiya. I am white and my DH is half black (African) and half white(Enlgish). He is very dark for half caste, he almost looks full black.I am pale with blonde hair. We have 3 gorgeous children. My oldest son is 5 and has olive skin, and tight blonde ringlets. He has the classic African button nose and very full lips. My 3 year old is darker than my son, she basically looks like shes been on a sunbed her whole life, she has loose blonde ringlets with natural light blonde highlights, huge blue eyes and big lips.People always comment on her skin color as shes so tanned. Then we have my 2 year old who is very white with straight light brown hair and big blue eyes. People often ask if my two eldest have something in them, but not ever with my youngest. Seems like the genes can carry through differently each time. Im not pregnant with my 4th child, another boy and we are excited to see how he will come out. All mixed raced bubbas are beautiful! smile

annelg1 Thu 15-Dec-11 19:01:57

Strange question. As the last person said, it's up to the individual child. This is the beauty of mixed race kids. They all come out different. Mine are the same mix as yours would potentially be. All 3 of them are different. First is tan with curly hair. My son is almost white, with tight curls, grey eyes. My youngest is fair/tan with almost straight hair, brown/grey eyes. If we had a fourth, he'd be different too.

Crystalynn1984 Sun 10-Jun-12 16:48:32

Wow! So glad I came across this.

I am mixed race(1/2 black 1/2 white) and so are two of my siblings. While me and my sister have no children my brother has 3 boys. My brother and I are medium skin color with hazel eyes and lighter brown hair(natural blonde in there). My sister is medium skin tone with brown eyes/hair.

My brothers first son was with a Caucasian woman who has brown hair/eyes and he came out with very light brown hair and big blue eyes.. with the perma-tan talked about above. His set of twins look identical to the first son(Mother is strawberry blonde/blue eyes). They have light light brown(almost dirty blonde) hair and big blue eyes. They look white with maybe a very light olive complexion(only a year old havent been in the sun much yet) They are all gorgeous and I cant help but stare at them!

I think it definitely depends on genes but it seems in my family the 1/4 babies come out with mostly Caucasian features. I dont know if it makes a difference that the black side of the family may be mixed with things down the line.

:-)

Fifi2406 Tue 31-Jul-12 23:31:16

My son is 1/4 black, he just looks like he has a sun tan! I often get asked if he is Spanish or if I've put him on a sunbed

Every child is different, that is what is so amazing about genetics smile

My son is 1/4 Guyanese black and 3/4 mix of European white, we wondered what he would look like as his Dad has quite dark skin for a mixed race person, but he came out looking like a white baby with the most beautiful dark eyes and his dads nose smile He is only 3 months so we are yet to see what he tans like lol but either way he is beautiful and I'm sure your baby will be too.

I can't wait to have to have another baby just to see what he/she will look like!

justhayley Tue 01-Jan-13 10:24:57

You really can't tell there's no standard look. I always think a lot of quarter cast babies look almost Arab. They get a gorgeous tan and light curly hair. My DS is 1/4 black 3/4 White and he's come out totally White no tan or hint of colour at all, and has blond hair and blue eyes. Wasn't expecting that. I do think he's going to have curly hair though. He's only 8 months so doesn't have much but when he's had a bath it curls and is gorgeous.

justhayley Tue 01-Jan-13 10:25:33

(ps when I say quarter cast I'm talking about he mix ur asking about)

giveitago Mon 14-Jan-13 19:34:51

Your kids will look like whatever. Does is really matter?

purpleroses Mon 14-Jan-13 19:41:44

My friend is that mix, but you wouldn't know he had any black ancestry - he just looks like a white person - pale skin, wavy brown hair.

His DD2 however has managed to pick up a recessive gene for afro hair, along with her mother's red haired gene, so has the most amazing ginger afro. You can't really tell with that mix. When people are 50-50 the black genes tend to dominate for hair colour at least, but when it's only a quarter you can get all sorts of mixtures, even within one family.

abbyfromoz Fri 01-Feb-13 18:59:20

A lot of people say that dark eyes and hair are dominant. I have a friend (greek) DARK eyes DARK hair and olive skin. Her DH is Kiwi... Dark hair and greenish eyes... Olive skin...all 3 of their DC's have blonde hair and blue eyes! What the?! I guess it's just a lucky dip!!

abbyfromoz Fri 01-Feb-13 19:01:41

Oh btw my husband has some aboriginal ancestry. His family are all pretty much white but they have that prominent aboriginal nose- same as my DD grin

SentongoAlaoui Thu 07-Feb-13 22:53:44

I am 1/4 Black African and 1/4 Arab African, and the rest white. When I have been in the sun for a day or 2 people defiantly know I am from Black descent. My brother naturally looks more Black as he is naturally darker and has a Black nose but doesn't go as dark as me in the sun. Where as I am lighter naturally but I have Black lips. So I would say just different everyone because I have cousins who are quarter and are darker than my dad who is half or other cousins who have ginger hair and look completely white.

crazynanna Thu 07-Feb-13 23:02:00

My dcs are mixed race (white/black carribean)

DD1 has married the same mix of race DH, and they have 3 dcs.

Of these:
DC1 is practically white skin,deep brown eyes, practically blonde loose curly hair.

DC2 is dark skinned,tight dark brown/black frizzy hair, and blue eyes.

DC3 is whiter than DC1, with loose,almost straight,wavy light brown hair, and green eyes.

My DD laughs and says she feels like the UN walking down the road with them grin

BeehavingBaby Thu 07-Feb-13 23:03:26

My niece looks very like her african grandparent but with my sister's incredibly pale skin, blue eyes and red hair (tight curls). She is beautiful but everyone is interested and wants to talk about it smile

Designjunkie Sat 30-Mar-13 00:59:47

One shade won't fit all. My own children are 1/2 caribbean and 1/2 English white. My dd has poker straight brown hair, is pale white and never tans. My ds has straight brown hair, pale skin that does tan but only lightly. Their features are very European and they look pure English. I am full black but light skinned with wavy hair and look mixed race but am not. No-one ever thinks I am related to them! However, I do have European ancestry on both sides of my family. As long as there is mixing in yours or your partners genes anything can happen! They will be beautiful whatever.

thornrose Sat 30-Mar-13 01:08:59

Design just out of interest how do you feel about your child not looking like you? My mixed race dd looks nothing like me and I do wonder how it would feel to have a child that looks like me.

TotallyBursar Sat 30-Mar-13 01:35:02

This thread was started in July 2010, the op's child is a toddler now, I suspect she knows what they look like.

justhayley Sun 21-Apr-13 22:16:26

My DS is 1/4 black 3/4 White he looks like a totally White child - he has blond hair and blue eyes which i wasn't expecting. He does have curly hair from me (I'm 1/2 black 1/2 White) but to look at him you would never know.
Iv met lots of 1/4 people and they are all very different you just can't tell. Majority of the time try get a lovely olive complexion and wavy hair I think they almost look Arab. But there'd no rule about what they will come out like - the only way you'l no is to make one and find out wink

marl24 Sat 18-May-13 11:10:00

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

motherinferior Sat 18-May-13 11:12:37

I am half white half Asian and look totally white. Red hair, the lot. My partner is half white half Asian and has dark skin. Our children are half white half Asian and are fairly white but darker than me.

chrome100 Wed 10-Jul-13 21:10:09

My friend is 1/4 black and looks completely white, except he has an African-looking nose. But if you didn't know, would never guess he had black heritage.

My niece and nephew are 1/4 Indian. My niece looks almost fully Indian whereas my nephew looks white, but has very dark hair. It's all a bit of a gamble and it depends how the genes come out in the wash!

giveitago Mon 22-Jul-13 13:47:14

OP- your kids will look how they look. No issues.

I had a good friends who's parents were trinidad - they that seven kids and they ranged from friend who's michael jackson but with dark skin to to siblings with blond hair and one with blue eyes.

I'm english/indian and look probably iranian - our ds who's me plus a light skinned italian father looks skin v. white but has jet black eyes and a full lips (my side).

No matter - nothing looks better than your own child in my view.

MillyTTC Fri 04-Oct-13 08:27:35

I am white and my husband is half white, half black Caribbean. Our son looks pretty much white - his skin is slightly more tanned / olive than mine, he has blue eyes and his hair is a little wavy. Doubt anyone would know his heritage.

SmallBee Fri 04-Oct-13 08:43:04

Hi!
Me & my two brothers are 1/4 Caribbean & 3/4 white & all look totally different. I tend to be told I look Mediterranean & if I'm on holiday without my DH in that part if the world it'll be assumed I'm a local. I've also been taken to be Dominican but only by other tourists & probably because if I even look at a picture of the sun I get a tan.
One brother just looks like a pasty Irish boy with dark hair but then his twin has much darker skin & had the Afro Caribbean hair as well.
So to be entirely unhelpful - it depends! grin

MoreSlummyThanYummy Sun 15-Dec-13 15:45:25

My bubba is the same mix, and he definitely looks white with a hint of something. I think he looks white but others say you can tell he isn't just white. In the summer though he tans super quick and looks more mixed then.

love4ever Thu 23-Jan-14 10:49:55

It's interesting reading about all the different mixtures and how this comes out in children.

I often have the same curiosities. Myself I am Mixed Race, half White English and half Black Caribbean.....my partner is White, English/Scottish.

I have dark brown tightly curly hair but not quite afro, and my skin tone isn't light but it isn't dark either haha. It's a bit like Beyoncé, I guess. (I wish!) I have very dark eyes. My partner has fair skin which doesn't tan easily, dark wavy curls and lovely dark green eyes.

Can't wait to see what our children look like! Everybody's children are beautiful in their own right smile

I know a white, blonde, blue-eyed woman with an Indian husband and their two children are so different it's amazing. Her daughter has her husband's colouring but is facially just like the mum, while her son has her colouring but looks just like his dad!

I think in several hundred or a thousand years everyone on the planet will be mixed race and will be the most beautiful set of humans the earth has ever seen.

When I was little I used to say I was going to marry a Japanese man purely because I thought Japaense/Caucasian babies were the cutest blush I did choose my husband for slightly more sensible reasons in the end!

Cannotbelieveit Mon 27-Jan-14 15:01:39

I'm 1/2 English and 1/2 Trinidadian with dark brown hair and eyes and olive skin about the same color as Jennifer Lopez maybe a tiny bit darker and my husband is English, dark brown hair, blue eyes and pale skin and our DS1 has come out with med/dark brown hair, massive almond shaped eyes like me, his hair has a curl to it (both ours just had a slight kink when we were younger) and his skin is quite olive only a shade or so lighter than me! I'm surprised how mixed he looks tbh! He's only 10 months so things could still change.

DS2 is due in 3 months and it will be interesting to see how he looks?

HappyHair Wed 29-Jan-14 15:39:17

We are a group of hairdressers, braiders & barbers who would like to offer a hair care service (tips/advice) to children (using natural products) who are of black/mixed heritage and do not have access to this service where they live. We are targeting children in foster/adoptive care or children of mixed parentage. If this applies to you or someone who you know please could you to fill out this survey. Thanking you in advance. P.S Please LIKE our page.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GQQXXB2

howrudeforme Fri 21-Feb-14 19:05:08

Kids of mixed heritage (and by that I don't mean people of multiple european people's) look like anything. I'm half indian - I look sort of anything from south american to iranian. My ds's dad is italian.

DS looks very white but with unusual features. People think he's part south east asian. He doesn't have that heritage. There you go.

He has black eyes like my mum. Almond shaped eyes (like none of us). Little nose like his dad - skin colour like italian ie white - and very full lips like me from my mum's side.

Such is my mix if I'd had lots of children I'm sure they'd come out looking a variety of things.

All children are lovely and precious.

I do not tan at all and have had skin cancer. So has my indian mum and my european father.

RussianBlu Sun 23-Feb-14 23:45:05

They will look like children I believe. People on this topic seem to spend a lot of time thinking about things that really don't matter very much.

Serendipity30 Sun 27-Apr-14 01:23:09

Looks like your worried your child will have strong African features, shocked no one challenged you on this thread

kpait Wed 07-May-14 03:09:31

Me and my brother are both quarter black we both have white skin were reaally pale lol. You can tell we have african American in us though, my brother has an afro. i have really curly dark Brown hair its easy to manage and i usually straighten it. and we bothh have larger lips too. we have green eye. most people classify us at white because we look white from our skin but you can tell we have black in us.

kpait Wed 07-May-14 03:12:30

Me and my brother are both quarter black we both have white skin were reaally pale lol. You can tell we have african American in us though, my brother has an afro. i have really curly dark Brown hair its easy to manage and i usually straighten it. and we bothh have larger lips too. we have green eye. most people classify us at white because we look white from our skin but you can tell we have black in us.

HolidayCriminal Wed 07-May-14 15:52:09

Couldn't disagree more with Serendipty. OP is doing a bit of navel gazing, it's innocent curiosity & fine. Lots of redheads in my family so I rather wished my kids had all had red hair until I found out how bizarre British people are about red hair, so maybe best that didn't happen.

My slightly swarthy skinned & green eyed friend (Mexican) with Black boyfriend had a blue eyed baby with African features & pale skin. 2nd baby was a mirror image of dad, though.

You read stories about 2 very "X" people having a baby that looks completely like another race, a race they didnt' even know they had in their family tree, it's so unpredictable how the genes will express. I went to school with blue-eyed dark skinned black people, too.

elfycat Wed 07-May-14 16:04:48

My DN?

DN1 latte skin, brown hair with a light curl that goes blonder in the sun, brown eyes. Slight hint to features that there's mixed heritage

DN2 Latte skin and dark brown hair with a wave, dark brown eyes. Features are the most 'British'

DN3 Blonde tight curls with a hint of strawberry, hazel eyes, pale freckly skin. Strongest mixed heritage features but extremely pretty.

RnB Wed 07-May-14 16:17:35

I have 2 children with this mix (same father). One looks white (very lightly tanned) with European features and straight hair. The other looks more mixed (but not as dark as me) with very curly hair.
My new partner is also half black/ half white and we have two children, one looks typically mixed and the other looks mixed but has much lighter skin and blue eyes.

hannahmarrrie91 Sat 31-May-14 19:38:33

im full white british and my babys dad is 1/2 african 1/2 british so my little boy is 3/4 british 1/4 african and hes quite dark people sometimes think hes indian.

minionmadness Fri 06-Jun-14 22:41:57

You can never tell IME...

DH is black (parents from Dominica, Caribbean), I am white. We have twin sons and they are both different shades, although both very light skinned, one is darker than the other.

They both have afro hair with lots of texture but it is brown and one has quite blond tones too. They both look very cool.

sassy1010 Fri 25-Jul-14 01:00:53

I'm a quarter cast, I'm 18 now when I was a baby I was let's say beige, it's true to say during winter my skin is a lot lighter but when I tan I return to be very dark even darker than orignianally and never lose that colour until the next winter.. I have black features including the nose and hair an bum! I needn't say that It's obvious that I'm not completely British it's quite obvious my dad is half Jamacian and my Mums English from Liverpool so I suppose it can go either way but both me and my brother are brown.. similar colour to rihanna and in winter Leona Lewis :-)

UnderEstherMate Fri 25-Jul-14 01:11:01

It definitely varies. I know siblings with the same mix as your potential DCs, one look fully white and one looks 1/2 and 1/2 mixed race with more dominant black features.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now