So is Atonement as good as they say it is?

(58 Posts)
emkana Sat 08-Sep-07 22:42:36

I will see it Monday, has anybody been yet?

I'm not keen on Keira Knightley unfortunately, she already ruined P & P for me, James McAvoy could well make up for that though!

kittylouise Wed 12-Sep-07 11:22:43

She is beautiful though, except when she gives that inane, maniacal grin (be afraid, be very afraid).

kittylouise Wed 12-Sep-07 11:25:13

You can also see the director's instructions, and years of acting classes, go round in their heads. EMOTE

Kate Winslet is the same, completely unconvincing. As well as Wino Forever.

ipanemagirl Wed 12-Sep-07 22:29:19

I saw it on Monday on massive screen in Leicester Sq and it was beautiful to look at certainly, and worth seeing as well.

But, James Mcavoy acts KKnightly off the screen, but to be fair to her, his is the meatier role by far.

2nd half of film is weaker, the story gets much bigger and somehow it didn't work for me.

I think the Director is very good but was pitching for an oscar here more than pitching to make everything work towards telling the story.

Keira is irritating I agree, too much toothy grinning, but I liked her as Lizzie Bennet.

The book is a massive rip-off of The Go-Between which is a vastly superior book by LP Hartley and great film with Julie Christie and Alan Bates. Would rather watch them than Keira Knightley.

Seriously, I don't know how McEwan has got away with it.

BTW, I'm from Teddington, like KK, and I don't know where on earth she gets that rah accent from. Hilarious.

Wolfgirl Wed 12-Sep-07 22:36:12

7/10 I thought. it might have scored higher if the atmosphere in the cinema had been a bit better. but it was empty and it was opening night. very strange. It is good and I would certainly recommend.

ipanemagirl Wed 12-Sep-07 22:36:12

margoandj - good point about the go between, it is a total steal isn't it? I hadn't thought of that. How does he get away with it?

Piffle Wed 12-Sep-07 22:38:27

Normally IMO if I like a book the film is shiteous
In that case as I hated the book, the film with two such curious castings will be dire.

Now I'd recommend Notes on a Scandal
odd book, superb film with Cat Blanchett
When I read the book I thought of her as a plot character...

and Keira was FAB in Bend it like Beckham
Her genre methunked

niceglasses Wed 12-Sep-07 22:39:13

ooh I really want to see it, but GAWD KIERA KNIGHTLY, what is it about her?

kerala Wed 12-Sep-07 22:45:26

Just seen it. I thought it was brilliant and could not stop thinking about it today. Also found Keira annoying in other films but to be fair I thought she was really good in this. I would make the effort to see it at the cinema as its lovely to look at and you get more caught up in it than just watching at home.

Though one of the mums I went with is Canadian and on a few occasions I had to translate.

I read the book but like emkana there were bits of the book I just couldnt remember. Probably because I skipped most of the war passages as hate reading about it.

Ulysees Wed 12-Sep-07 23:40:26

No was joking about Narnia...of course blush grin

Enjoyed it but was shocked. Will say no more as don't want to spoil it.

LaDiDaDi Wed 12-Sep-07 23:49:10

I'd love to see it but dp doesn't really like the cinema and it seems a waste of a babysitter. I will have to find someone else to go with but I've asked a couple of friends who don't really fancy it.

I would go and see James Macavoy if he was playing a half man/half biscuit hybrid horror.
and i would still fancy him
incredibly disturbing book though, I am bracing myself

ipanemagirl Thu 13-Sep-07 18:58:53

James McAvoy is adorable.
Even though he looks about 3 foot tall!

Boco Thu 13-Sep-07 19:05:01

There's a lot of really noisy sighing all the way through that i found alarming. It looks very nice though.

FluffyMummy123 Thu 13-Sep-07 19:05:34

Message withdrawn

filthymindedbolshevixen Thu 13-Sep-07 19:14:22

It is one of my favourite ever books. So I am prepared to be disappointed. But I also love James Macavoy (bet I'm the only one who found Mr Tumnus disturbingly sexy..wink) and I think twill be a visual feast...

welshmum Thu 13-Sep-07 19:21:19

I think it's worth seeing for the visuals alone - some beyond beautiful scenes and the Dunkirk one shot wonder is just amazing. KK is just short of convincing but he is splendid. I agree with the 4 stars the Guardian gave it, I think it'll just miss at the Oscars too for her and for best film, but he'll get one and so will the cinematography.......

multitasker Sat 15-Sep-07 13:25:12

I thought the best thing about the film was her green dress. I was so disappointed with the film overall - it just didn't pack a big enough punch emotionally for me, I think neither Knightly nor Mc Avoy were strong enough - he is small!! and not at all convincing. To much emphasis on being very arty - I think the director tried too hard in parts.
SO so so disappointed.

Should have watched The Bourne Ultimatum again.envy

I thought it was overall very successful but KK is so annoying.
I loathe that thing she does with her mouth
and the way she waddles like a penguin
and when she stands with her arms poking out
grrrr.
James M was exceptional though
Romola Garai was marvellous too, and the the actor playing the young Briony.
I sobbed at the end

Just been to watch it. Mum wasn't interested, I have to drag DH to really good films and my sister had already seen it so I went on my own. DH is a very cheap babysitter.
I liked it. I rate JM as an actor anyway, he's great in Becoming Jane. Must now go and read both the books just to see how much of a rip off it is.

jellybeans Sun 16-Sep-07 21:57:34

I liked it but to me, yes, it is over rated.

Tillyboo Fri 28-Sep-07 08:58:08

Well I enjoyed it.

Keira and James captured that posh formality of hiding a need for a good old bit of rumpy really well I thought.

I haven't read the book so didn't know what to expect. The Dunkirk beach scene was amazing. I jumped out of my seat at the shooting of the horses - blub sad.

I thought the atmosphere was very poignant.

The continuity of the three Briony's was very clever.

Films often don't match up to the book but not having read the book I took it on face value and had an enjoyable evening at the cinema with my giant bag of pic n' mix .....

James (whether he be 3ft or 6ft) is a joy to watch morphing from a happy young man on the brink of life to the mature character he became.

Keira needs some booblies - but the green dress was stunning !!!!!!!!

Slubberdegullion Fri 28-Sep-07 09:17:32

I enjoyed it. Am not sure if it deserves the 5 stars Empire awarded it.

I haven't read the book so maybe someone here who has read it can tell me, does it go into much more detail as to the relationship of Cecelia and Robbie pre the infamous night. Obviously there was sexual tension galore but I'm always deeply hmm at great professions of true love post (or during) 1st shag.

Anyway that was really the only thing that niggled.

Green dress amazing.

Acually really liked Keira in it, thought she did snippy upper class bird v well.

Beach scene also amazing. I'm always really gobsmacked at those done all in one shot scenes. Empire made a good point that that scene counterbalances the 'landing' beach scene in Saving Private Ryan really well.

I also wondered if the director was having a tiny dig at standards of hygene and cleanliness in our NHS hospitals with the scene of Briony and her mate scrubbing those beds.

Won't be putting it in my top 20 movies list though (not that i really have one).

Bluestocking Fri 28-Sep-07 19:37:52

I really enjoyed it. I can't usually stand KK but she was perfect in this, very Brief Encounter. JM is gorgeous, haven't seen him in anything else, but what a hunk, even if he's only 3" tall. I found the erotic tension between them very believable. No-one's mentioned the redhaired twins and Lola who were also fabulous. The Dunkirk scene was very striking, unwatchably horrible, but also mesmerising. The only false note for me was that during the walk across France I kept being reminded of Stella Artois ads.

ebenezer Sat 29-Sep-07 14:54:45

I thought it was superb. I loved the book, and was kind of half expecting the film to not match up to it, but it definitely did. KK portrayed the role very well I thought - and usually I find her intensely irritating. JM wonderful - so expressive. Lola fab - really brought that character to life. In fact I can't really think of any weak spots!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now