So is Atonement as good as they say it is?

(57 Posts)
emkana Sat 08-Sep-07 22:42:36

I will see it Monday, has anybody been yet?

I'm not keen on Keira Knightley unfortunately, she already ruined P & P for me, James McAvoy could well make up for that though!

IdrisTheDragon Sun 09-Sep-07 16:06:24

DH and I saw it last nightand we really enjoyed it smile.

I was going to go see this last night but did dinner instead. I too find Keira a tad irritating so am interested in replies...

Copper Sun 09-Sep-07 18:52:21

It's absolutely brilliant, a real weepy, and James McAvoy is wonderful. They are all very good, but he is exceptional

electra Sun 09-Sep-07 19:08:53

I saw it last night...didn't quite know what to make of it. It tries to be quite "arty" in places, and I do like Keira Knightly. I think it's worth seeing

expatinscotland Sun 09-Sep-07 19:11:16

I'd see it, but I find both Keira Knightley and James McAvoy beyond irritating. He's the more talented of the two, but I was to slap his face everytime he smiles so I think I'll be giving this film a miss.

Is there actually anyone in the world who doesn't find Keira Knightly irritating? Everyone seems to dislike her so much that I can't understand why she keeps getting recast in films.

I'll have to wait till it comes out on DVD as dh will never come and see it.

Ah, Electra.

NKF Sun 09-Sep-07 19:25:42

I've seen it and I thought it was dull. Looks good but it's stately and stuffy and the performances are cliched.

expatinscotland Sun 09-Sep-07 19:31:59

I found the book annoying. Briony's like a teenage Lola from Charlie and Lola - needs a good kick up the jacksie.

Celia and Robbie - yeah, like that would have ever happened.

emkana Tue 11-Sep-07 20:28:44

Watched it last night and really liked it. Keira Knightley surprisingly unirritating, I think because she hardly smiles in this film, can't stand her "cutey" smile.

I think James McAvoy is wonderful!!!

I read the book not so long ago, but must have missed the last few pages, because I couldn't remember the ending. shock

ArcticRoll Wed 12-Sep-07 10:43:47

Saw it last hight and thought it was a fantastic and poignant film.
I hadn't read the novel and think this helped my enjoyment.
I don't normally like Kiera Knightley but she was very good in this and so beautiul.
Should wipe the boards in the Oscars.

expatinscotland Wed 12-Sep-07 10:44:50

I sincerely want to slap James McAvoy. I'm not entirely sure why.

KerryMum Wed 12-Sep-07 10:47:50

The thing that annoys me about Keira Knightley is her size. She looks like a skeleton! And it gets in the way of me watching her as an actress.

Haven't seen film yet though. It's usually DVDs for mum....

expatinscotland Wed 12-Sep-07 10:51:14

Kiera's just all-around annoying.

James is okay so long as he doesn't smile. Then you just want to slap him.

toomanydaves Wed 12-Sep-07 10:51:52

She's vapid.
Not spirited enough to play Elizabeth Bennet or the girl in Pirates of Caribbean.
I thought Atonement the book was not great but I do love her dress in the film. That green.
James Mac is hot though expat and a proper actor. What's not to like?

toomanydaves Wed 12-Sep-07 10:52:25

x-posted. I find him hot even when he smiles.

expatinscotland Wed 12-Sep-07 10:54:58

What's not to like?

Hmm, his entire face.

Ulysees Wed 12-Sep-07 10:54:59

I even fancied him in Narnia blush

Seeing Atonement today.

toomanydaves Wed 12-Sep-07 10:56:49

You have a goat thing, Ulysses?

PinkChick Wed 12-Sep-07 10:57:10

it was filmed near me so it must be!winkgrin

kittylouise Wed 12-Sep-07 11:09:38

I don't think I could bear to watch it. I don't think Keira can act at all. I would spend the entire film muttering under my breath.

expatinscotland Wed 12-Sep-07 11:11:43

And holding my hand, which would want to bitchslap James McAvoy to Glasgow and back.

Boco Wed 12-Sep-07 11:15:03

She remends me a lot of winona ryder - same irritating quality to her voice - but winona better at acting.

francasaysrelax Wed 12-Sep-07 11:22:26

That's what she reminds me as well. winona "forever" rider.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now