american hustle - yawnsley

(38 Posts)
DrNick Sat 11-Jan-14 17:09:48

i knew nothing about this before I went. and tbh i DO NOT get what the big deal is.
the story is so slow to get started, there is no chemistry between the main lead, the costume has ONE idea that seems to go on and on ( get htat woman a button fgs) and the plot seems desparately shoved on at the end to justify the whole boring film

I completely agree! I just did not get the point of it at all. Waste of an expensive rare night at the cinema - tho had treated myself to nachos and peppers as a treat!

DrNick Sat 11-Jan-14 17:29:12

her clothes
fricken hell do them up

the only bit i loved was the first night out with rosalyn

the rest was BORING

LyndaCartersBigPants Sat 11-Jan-14 17:50:23

I got a bit lost with the thin plot but enjoyed the stylisation and perving at Bradley Cooper despite the perm. Jennifer Lawrence was great but yes, the plunging dresses Amy wore throughout were a tad distracting!

DrNick Sat 11-Jan-14 17:55:55

they were just DULL - costume person , move on

Figster Wed 15-Jan-14 20:31:26

Oh no I've got night out for bday on Friday (how times change) and had debated between hustle or wolf of wall street agreed to go to hustle but have I made a mistake?

LyndaCartersBigPants Wed 15-Jan-14 23:49:19

Going to see Wolf at the weekend and I must say I've forgotten hustle already, didn't make an impact. Leo Di C has definitely improved with age for me, I loved him in Django, so given the choice I'd go for that instead.

Figster Sat 18-Jan-14 00:01:57

So went tonight as dh couldn't face 3hrs of wolf I loved hustle the performances were amazing from the 3 main leads was getting a bit miffed by Jennifer Lawrence though just popping up being Jennifer Lawrence.

I was filled with dread that something was going to happen and I still fancied Bradley cooper despite the perm shock

Was good fun though not sure Oscar worthy other than hair and make up to recognise the combover to end all combovers grin

soontobeburns Sun 19-Jan-14 19:50:06

I saw it and wasn't impressed at all! I found it boring, slow and rather confusing tbh.

I came out of it and went "Hmm I dont know what just happend that was crap, but it was good cinematography (sp?) and the actors where good."

Though I did say before I went in "its nominated for oscars it must be shite" grin

Varya Sun 19-Jan-14 19:52:39

£20 for two in Portsmouth to see this movie - what a waste of money!

LyndaCartersBigPants Sun 19-Jan-14 20:17:37

Fwiw I saw Wolf of Wall Street today and it was brilliant. More drugs and nudity than strictly necessary, but really enjoyable, despite being so long.

DrNick Mon 20-Jan-14 08:03:09

was it better than hustle? O see that a lot of reviewers re underwhelmed too

the fact that its oscar nominated just shows the vested interest

Southeastdweller Mon 20-Jan-14 08:04:25

Hard to follow, overlong...just a hot mess of a film.

DrNick Mon 20-Jan-14 08:15:05

why is no one brave enough to say

ExcuseTypos Mon 20-Jan-14 08:17:26

DH and I walk out after an hour. We've never,ever done that before, but it was shite.

Dull dull dull.

Now it keeps winning awards, DH said yesterday that we must buy the DVD as we obviously missed the good bits.

We're there any?

I left American Hustle feeling a bit confused. Not at the plot but because I didn't think the film was awful but was sat there bored to tears by the end.
It was just way too long. Play out the plot with less shots of the plunging necklines and arty scenes and I actually probably would have enjoyed it.

DrNick Mon 20-Jan-14 08:22:32

there was one brilliant scene when they go out for a meal with the Mayor the first time
then nada

DrNick Mon 20-Jan-14 08:22:45

oh agree re necklines ENOUGH already

DrNick Mon 20-Jan-14 08:24:44

oh and at the denouement, it was totally lost on me as her " English " accent had been so underwhelming the whole way through, I didnt noticed she stopped it until someone said

PhantomMenace Mon 20-Jan-14 08:28:11

I have to agree with other posters opinions about American Hustle, I thought it was just me and I didn't "get it" but it really is just shite. Wolf of Wall Street on the other hand is fabulous, I can't recommend that film enough.

DrNick Mon 20-Jan-14 08:29:52

I must admit after doing Hustle I am a bit hmm about going to the cinema again!
I wonder how Hustle managed to blag its way through.

I also noted that her apartment had Roman Blinds, no one had those in the early 70s

kasbah72 Mon 20-Jan-14 08:35:06

Yep, totally agree. We were so disappointed!

noddyholder Mon 20-Jan-14 09:16:12

Loved it. But I spent the 80s/90s dressed like that lol. We had roman blinds in the 60s (sad) Love the look of Dallas buyers though

areyoutheregoditsmemargaret Mon 20-Jan-14 09:25:32

Totally disagree. I absolutely loved it. It had so much zest.

jumperooo Mon 20-Jan-14 09:29:53

Yep I agree. Watched both American Hustle and Wolf of Wall St online this weekend. Turned AH off after 30 mins, boring! Wolf of wall st is very good, but very long

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now