Films you've watched that are just confusing....

(67 Posts)
Tabby1963 Sat 14-Sep-13 19:23:20

Today on More4 was a film called MirrorMask. Ok, I didn't watch it right from the beginning but I reckoned that, even if I had, I still wouldn't have understood what was going on, it was so weird. Anyone else seen it?

There was another one that I saw on holiday this year, again missing the beginning bit, called Cloud Atlas. Didn't really have a clue what was going on but enjoyed the film anyway. Can anyone explain it to me please?

LumionaMoonsplash Sat 10-May-14 19:55:23

Donnie Darko & Inception agree, Totall Recall too. I like 12 monkeys but switched off Eyes wide Shut / Magnolia / Vanilla Sky before the end because I couldn't be arsed.

susiedaisy Sat 10-May-14 19:50:20

12 monkeys

Angelto5 Sat 10-May-14 10:07:27

Have watched the original total recall loads of times (I'm a huge arnie fan) but still don't get it.
Who was he-doug or hauser???
Haven't watched inception yet but my 15yo has but I think I need 2 find time 2 watch it without interruption.

Mummyboo92 Sat 22-Mar-14 16:16:34

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - to be fair we were 10 minutes late but I think it was so boring I just stopped paying attention.

Scarletohello Thu 13-Mar-14 00:10:01

Fuck, Eraserhead is the most disturbing film I've ever seen. It's like having one of your own nightmares where nothing makes sense on screen. Saw it over 20 years ago and I can still recall images from if now, makes me shudder! ( brilliant tho)

Re Tinker Tailor, it doesn't make sense because it so much has been cut out that it doesn't really hang together. The 7 hour tv production with Alec Guiness is miles better. And does make sense!

BOFtastic Wed 12-Mar-14 23:56:49

What was confusing about Dallas Buyers' Club? I've just watched it, so ask me what you didn't get and I'll see if I can help.

BunnyBeanz Wed 12-Mar-14 23:52:13

Just watched Dallas Buyers Club... Eh? Hmmm, will need to watch it again... ��

hollyisalovelyname Sun 02-Mar-14 09:05:12

In Bruges.
I had no idea what was going on.

AlfieandAnnieRose Sun 23-Feb-14 14:31:30

Agree with cloud atlas, I was very disappointed and switched it off after about 15 minutes. It was also difficult to watch whereas inception,another confusing film, I found to be more absorbing and interesting! I could easily watch it again but cloud atlas just gave me a headache.

HermioneWeasley Mon 10-Feb-14 21:12:56

I had not the faintest idea what was going on in the last Batman film. Everyone was mumbling and it appeared to have been filmed entirely in the dark.

JoR73 Mon 10-Feb-14 21:10:11

Confusing is not neccessarily bad. I enjoyed Donnie Darko. Mad Max is crap though and made no sense.

Crash I couldn't follow. Not the video nasty one, the 2004(?) one.

The Prestige. XP made me watch it boasting that him and his mates guessed the twist in the first five minutes. I didn't get the twist even after it was explained in the end confused In fact I've just read through the synopsis on IMDB and I'm still not sure what happened. Didn't like the film anyway.

I had to watch Brick twice before I understood what happened in it.

Its0kToBeMe Sun 02-Feb-14 00:20:55

Black Swan.

confused

BumPotato Sun 02-Feb-14 00:19:02

Thanks EAT I'll have a look.

EATmum Sat 01-Feb-14 21:13:14

Bumpotato - agree, beautiful but zero plot really. Think that was the point. Husband has blog on this stuff if you're interested: http://notlefthandedfilmguide.co.uk/2014/01/30/inside-llewyn-davis/

LidlAngel Sat 01-Feb-14 21:00:49

Vanilla Sky. Made me confused

TiggyOBE Sat 01-Feb-14 20:53:27

Dr Caligari

The 1989 version. Well worth a watch. It's an experience. It's set in a surreal insane asylum with an evil Doctor carrying out experiments. The language is...um...basically, the film is beyond my ability to describe it. The first 5-10 minutes is somebody during an 'episode', and it gets slightly easier to understand after that.

The Twin Peaks dream sequences meets the Magic Roundabout.

ItsATIARA Mon 27-Jan-14 23:47:36

Not a film, but a play - Old Times by Harold Pinter. Not the foggiest. I looked it up on Wikipedia and it gave me a choice of 3 interpretations which Pinterologists can't choose between, so I feel relieved that it's not just me. Serves me right for watching a play by a playwright I don't get just because it had Rufus Sewell in it.

idlevice Mon 27-Jan-14 23:38:16

Agree about Eraserhead. It was on late night at an arthouse cinema when I was a student & I convinced my housemates we should all go to see it as I'd heard it was supposed to be amazing. We had to cycle bloody miles to get there & then bloody miles to get back, everyone mightily hacked off with me having foregone a night's drinking for a load of inexplicable nonsense.

BigPawsBrown Mon 27-Jan-14 22:23:44

Memento
The matrix
Inception
A few good men

exWifebeginsat40 Mon 27-Jan-14 21:56:01

This Must be The Place. sean penn and frances mcdormand were amazing in it, but i have no idea what on earth was going on.

BumPotato Mon 27-Jan-14 21:50:22

DH and I went to see Inside Llywen Davis today. It's the latest Coen Bros film. It was easy to watch, the music was ok and had a couple of funny bits in, but I have no idea what the story was supposed to be.

poorbuthappy Sun 19-Jan-14 20:12:24

Watched Donnie Darko loads is managed to get it.
Cloud atlas last night nope no chance

Inception, didn't want to watch it dh borrowed it on DVD. He fell asleep after about 30 mins, I was totally absorbed and think it is 1 of the best films I've ever seen. grin

CraftyBuddhist Sun 19-Jan-14 20:02:38

Synecdoche. What on earth was that about.

I can usually appreciate a complex film. Even mull drive had merit. But god awful synecdoche was just a waste of talent.

TOADfan Sun 19-Jan-14 19:58:18

I agree with triangle but I got it a second time.

I have tried watching The Bourne Identity about 4 timed and im still confused if hes good or bad blush

It took me a few views to get Pulp Fiction but I was still in my teens at the time.

So many more. I think im smart but I feel stupid sometimes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now