Films you've watched that are just confusing....

(67 Posts)
Tabby1963 Sat 14-Sep-13 19:23:20

Today on More4 was a film called MirrorMask. Ok, I didn't watch it right from the beginning but I reckoned that, even if I had, I still wouldn't have understood what was going on, it was so weird. Anyone else seen it?

There was another one that I saw on holiday this year, again missing the beginning bit, called Cloud Atlas. Didn't really have a clue what was going on but enjoyed the film anyway. Can anyone explain it to me please?

Shakey1500 Sat 14-Sep-13 20:30:36

Usual Suspects. I've had it explained to me and still don't get it blush

Patosshades Sat 14-Sep-13 20:33:42

12 monkeys, not a clue what that's about. The 100 hours of Lord of the Rings movies. They're all just 1 mess in my mind. Not.a.clue. who's who or their names or the significance of anyone. My DH looks at me like I'm an alien when I say this.

Thesebootsweremadeforwalking Sat 14-Sep-13 20:42:33

Heat. For some reason I have trouble telling Robert de Niro and Al Pacino apart, and I lose the plot during the scene where they're having a long complicated conversation with only one of them in shot at once. DH finds this hilarious.

echt Tue 17-Sep-13 12:13:19

For a new look at Heat, Theseboots, just google "Val Kilmer's elbow" and see the film from a different perspective.

LadyFlumpalot Tue 17-Sep-13 12:19:28

Sucker Punch. Gave up trying to understand it and just enjoyed the beautifully choreographed dance/fight scenes.

picnicbasketcase Tue 17-Sep-13 12:27:26

Eyes Wide Shut. Confusing or just utter shite. I'm not sure which.

Fragglewump Tue 17-Sep-13 12:35:03

Black bloody swan!

Pachacuti Tue 17-Sep-13 12:55:30

The key to Mulholland Drive is that most of the film (all but the last twenty minutes or so) is a dream/fantasy that Naomi Watts (as "Diane") is having after she's had a contract killer take out her ex-girlfriend Laura Herring (as "Camilla") (we then see Diane-Naomi hiring him, and the events that led up to that, in flashback). In the dream Laura Herring (as "Rita") has escaped the murder attempt and meets and falls in love with a cleaned-up good girl version of Naomi Watts (as "Betty"), and lots of the other details riff on real-world stuff. As Betty-Naomi and Rita-Laura get closer to unravelling the "mystery" it actually signifies that the dream world is breaking down and Diane-Naomi is about to wake up into the reality in which Camilla-Laura is dead, the police are closing in and her life is complete shit.

Film Crit Hulk has a good piece on Mulholland Drive .

I defy anyone to understand Lost Highway though grin .

middleclassdystopia Sat 21-Sep-13 17:17:01

I love David Lynch. Thank you Pachacuti for that explanation, might warrant a rewatch now!

HongkongDreamer Sat 21-Sep-13 17:42:37

Triangle, it's insaneshock

insertwittyusernamehereplease Sat 21-Sep-13 17:47:01

She's the one. Even the description confused the hell to of me

insancerre Sat 21-Sep-13 17:49:22

Eraserhead
confused << that was me watching it

DrCoconut Tue 15-Oct-13 20:00:39

Inception is hard to follow. I need to watch Tom Hardy it again now.

BlingBang Sat 26-Oct-13 21:49:20

Followed Inception or at least think I did - just thought it was pretentious and annoying. Didn't the director think he was clever!

Dancergirl Mon 28-Oct-13 06:57:40

Spanish Prisoner

hollyisalovelyname Wed 11-Dec-13 21:52:14

Intermission with Colin Farrell
In Bruges
Not a clue what was going on. grin

Lara2 Fri 03-Jan-14 20:51:01

insancerre yes, yes to Eraserhead!!! I sat through the whole thing thinking "It's going to get better in a minute" and then the bloody film finished! Pretentious twaddle!!!

TOADfan Sun 19-Jan-14 19:58:18

I agree with triangle but I got it a second time.

I have tried watching The Bourne Identity about 4 timed and im still confused if hes good or bad blush

It took me a few views to get Pulp Fiction but I was still in my teens at the time.

So many more. I think im smart but I feel stupid sometimes.

CraftyBuddhist Sun 19-Jan-14 20:02:38

Synecdoche. What on earth was that about.

I can usually appreciate a complex film. Even mull drive had merit. But god awful synecdoche was just a waste of talent.

poorbuthappy Sun 19-Jan-14 20:12:24

Watched Donnie Darko loads is managed to get it.
Cloud atlas last night nope no chance

Inception, didn't want to watch it dh borrowed it on DVD. He fell asleep after about 30 mins, I was totally absorbed and think it is 1 of the best films I've ever seen. grin

BumPotato Mon 27-Jan-14 21:50:22

DH and I went to see Inside Llywen Davis today. It's the latest Coen Bros film. It was easy to watch, the music was ok and had a couple of funny bits in, but I have no idea what the story was supposed to be.

exWifebeginsat40 Mon 27-Jan-14 21:56:01

This Must be The Place. sean penn and frances mcdormand were amazing in it, but i have no idea what on earth was going on.

BigPawsBrown Mon 27-Jan-14 22:23:44

Memento
The matrix
Inception
A few good men

idlevice Mon 27-Jan-14 23:38:16

Agree about Eraserhead. It was on late night at an arthouse cinema when I was a student & I convinced my housemates we should all go to see it as I'd heard it was supposed to be amazing. We had to cycle bloody miles to get there & then bloody miles to get back, everyone mightily hacked off with me having foregone a night's drinking for a load of inexplicable nonsense.

ItsATIARA Mon 27-Jan-14 23:47:36

Not a film, but a play - Old Times by Harold Pinter. Not the foggiest. I looked it up on Wikipedia and it gave me a choice of 3 interpretations which Pinterologists can't choose between, so I feel relieved that it's not just me. Serves me right for watching a play by a playwright I don't get just because it had Rufus Sewell in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now