Wadjda - first Saudi Arabian film directed by a woman

(6 Posts)
DalstonDad Thu 25-Jul-13 12:14:24

Have you heard about Wadjda? It's the first feature film written and directed by a woman in Saudi Arabia - a country without cinemas. She had to direct it from a van - liaising with the crew via walkie-talkie.

The plot follows the story of a young girl who wants to ride a bike (which is not allowed). She learns verses from the Koran to win a prize to be able to buy a bike. It's had pretty good reviews and is showing in a lot of independent cinemas and some Cineworld and Vue.

Not sure my DD is old enough for a subtitled film - which is a pity.

Have you heard about it?

SunshineBossaNova Fri 26-Jul-13 02:18:44

I hadn't heard about it, has it been released in the UK?

DalstonDad Tue 30-Jul-13 21:50:50

Yes, it's currently showing at various cinemas, including most of the art house ones around the UK. I saw it at Fact Liverpool but it's also on at the Rio in Dalston and in various others around London.

singaporefling Tue 30-Jul-13 22:03:34

I know its subjective...but is it good/heartwarming/sad/insightful/worth seeing?

MsAmerica Sun 01-Sep-13 21:53:21

I'm hoping to see it soon, and now am all the more interested, since I didn't know it was by a woman!

mizu Sun 08-Sep-13 16:32:18

Read about this film and really want to see it - and perhaps go with DDs (who are learning Arabic)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now