What weepy movie do you watch when in need of a good sob?

(109 Posts)
Pruni Sat 27-May-06 20:11:10

Message withdrawn

The English Patient made me sob with boredom and confusion
Schindler's List

teabags Sat 27-May-06 21:47:53

I am surely not the only one who cried at Officer and a Gentlemen when he walks in the factory at the end and whisks her away !

southeastastra Sat 27-May-06 21:47:53

Carousel and West Side Story always make me cry, when you walk through a storm...

WideWebWitch Sat 27-May-06 21:49:31

Oh god, yes at an Officer and a gentleman! And there was a recent film ds and I saw at the cinema, terrible film with Renee Russo and Denis Quaid about a couple with 2222 kids between them or something and I cried at that, I am pathetic!

Mercy Sat 27-May-06 21:50:36

Oh god yes, Schindlers list adn Sophie's Choice

I cried at the end of Gladiator. Totally didn't expect to even like it.

expatinscotland Sat 27-May-06 21:53:53

Gillian
I can't even watch The Dead Poets' Society now. Only b/c of a very dear friend of mine who is no longer w/us in this life. Although he left school at 16 to work and help support his mum and younger sister when his father abandoned the family, he was one of the most well-read and intelligent people I ever had the good fortune to know. He was a huge Whitman fan, too. I still have his copy of 'Leaves of Grass'.

He died in a car accident at 32.

At his memorial, my ex husband, his best friend and climbing partner, stood up and recited, 'Oh Captain! My Captain!' And that's all he spoke. Now when the sky is like a blue tea w/a lemon slice, I think of him.

Richard Allan Pierce, 1968-2001, RIP.

expatinscotland Sat 27-May-06 21:54:39

I sobbed at the end of 'Love, Actually'.

In inconsolable grief at having wasted precious minutes of my life watching it . . .

expat
eeek to Sophie's Choice. Can't even think about it.....

expatinscotland Sat 27-May-06 21:57:26

I will not EVER watch 'Sophie's Choice'. NO WAY!

SleepyJess Sat 27-May-06 21:58:59

The Notebook *howl*

teabags Sat 27-May-06 21:59:19

I am crap, I have been known to cry at Eastenders......... I can't remember which part now but I remember DH had tears in his eyes as well

Mercy Sat 27-May-06 21:59:51

Oh expat

For a while now I've been thinking I can't wait until your auto biography is published. WOuld be very interesting I think!

southeastastra Sat 27-May-06 22:00:08

I feel like that about Sophie's choice, its one of those films you can't contemplate watching after having children.

Although anything relating to world war 2 is sad isn't it?

expatinscotland Sat 27-May-06 22:00:23

I cried w/relief when Nana finally popped her clogs on EE. Thank f"$k! Next goofy arse story line, please.

expatinscotland Sat 27-May-06 22:01:24

It would be, Mercy, terribly tiresome and short, methinks.

Jade Goody has hers out now, though. Do you think she actually wrote it?

There are much better films out there.

blueamema Sat 27-May-06 22:08:28

Forrest Gump .... love that film!!

I have never cried as much as when i watched 'The Green Mile' with tom hanks.. fab film ... makes you really cry out load!!!

but i have to say 'neighbours' sometimes has the same effect on me ... please get back together susan and karl! (sad I know, but I love it!!!)

Twinkie1 Sat 27-May-06 22:10:21

When a Man Loves a Woman with Meg Ryan and Andy Garcia and Jack and Sarah (is that the one where the Mum dies and he has to bring up the babay - if so thats the one!!)

Orlando Sat 27-May-06 22:12:45

that's it, twinkie. I saw it at the cinema when dd1 was a few months old-- the first time we'd ever left her with a babysitter. And the baby in the film had an outfit the same as dd's....

Wept copiously. And embarrassingly.

teabags Sat 27-May-06 22:13:14

Stepmom (the one with Julia Roberts)

Who Will love my Children ........ sob

B8 Sat 27-May-06 22:18:38

Most recently at The Constant Gardener- the bit where Ralph Fiennes is fleeing on the plane (from the jambaweed) with the other aid workers and there is a little girl running alongside. The rules were that the plane was only for workers, leaving the girl to her fate. I have tears in my eyes just thinking about it- on the back of that I increased my direct debit for Unicef!

southeastastra Sat 27-May-06 22:27:55

Oh god, I cried today watching star wars episdode 3, I've never seen it, being a fan of old star wars, it was so sad,

FloatingOnTheMed Sat 27-May-06 22:40:32

did you like it? I think they're crap

FloatingOnTheMed Sat 27-May-06 22:41:13

although i guess ep 3 delivered all expectations, the change to darth vader was done quite well

southeastastra Sat 27-May-06 22:45:48

well i watched the last 15 mins of ep 3 and thought it was sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now