The Master

(9 Posts)

Oh, good, not just me then grin.

southeastdweller Wed 11-Sep-13 21:41:39

I found it impenetrable and pretentious. Couldn't wait for it to end.

I am reviving this thread because I've just seen it and Just Did Not Get The Fuss.
Yes, both Joaquin Phoenix and PSHoffman are v good actors and both totally inhabited their characters. But I did not really 'see' what was so special about JP's character, what did The Cause leader see in him? And how was The Cult leader 'charismatic'?? What on earth did they all see in him?

And then it just ended grin - yes. I've notw watched it twice and just find it a bit... bleh. Don't get the message if there is one and found it boring. Beatifully acted, great cinematography and costumes, but 'the best film of 2012' as some of the critics said? Really??

StephaniePowers Sun 07-Apr-13 22:37:14

I'd forgotten that bit grin
Ew

Oh I know it was gross.

Joaquin did it in the sea, the sand lady was too much for him grin

StephaniePowers Fri 05-Apr-13 20:05:19

Makes a mean cocktail too grin
That scene with amy Adams and Philip Seymour Hoffman...over the sink...oh dear lord yuk (last time I saw her she was in the Muppet film...)

Yes that's right.

Still at least I've seen it, if I hadn't I'd only be curious.

Love Joaquin though he's such an amazing presence on screen.

StephaniePowers Fri 05-Apr-13 19:53:19

It was a slow burner. Really good performances but it made you work hard to see how the whole cult thing was working. And then...it just ended!

Have you seen this? I was really looking forward to it what with Joaquin Phoenix being in it. Didn't really enjoy it at all though.

Sounds as if it's based on Scientology? DS1 recommended it and he said he enjoyed it but it wasn't as good as he'd hoped. He's 15, just glad ds2 didn't watch it, he's 12. So much nudity and also use of the C word.

Was the nude women scene and hallucination or did that happen?

I have Argo to watch tonight which sounds better?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now