Les Mis - it may be good but why is it a 12?

(34 Posts)
Clary Wed 20-Feb-13 23:18:59

I went with DD who is nearly 12yo and likes musicals. I think she enjoyed it actually tho we both found it a bit slow - if they had spoken instead of singing everything it would have been an hour less!! wink - but I was quite shocked by the content.

I am not complaining in an outraged way that DD was subjected to this as I had read around it a bit and had a chat to her; but I am still amazed that it was the same certificate as The Hobbit or Avatar with the genuinely shocking content. Does no-one else think a 15 cert would have been more appropriate?

(but given that our current system is designed to leave a lot to parental discretion, giving this film a certificate that relies on parental discretion to not take younger children is appropriate)

ThatVikRinA22 Thu 21-Feb-13 00:07:05

to be fair i didnt know the story either blush but thought i was in the minority!

still - i do think the classification is fine - its not gratuitous or overtly violent - the camera moves away when her hair is cut and same when she has her teeth pulled....
it comes back when she is basically at rock bottom and sings i dreamed a dream....
but i dont personally have a problem with the classification. i think films are classified on not what is considered taboo but on how graphic things are and what the content is - its obvious she falls into prostitution but its a very small part of the film, and i dont see why that should be any higher classified really - the one sex scene is very tame, fully clothed and just illustrates what she has been driven too,
if you didnt think it suitable for a 12 yr old then dont take your 12 yr old....personally i think my DD would have coped with it at 12.

i think DD watched Juno at around the same age. She coped with that just fine too.

TheCatInTheHairnet Thu 21-Feb-13 00:08:28

Also, I wish people would stop going on about the stage show. This is the movie and they're completely different. They just have the same songs.

TheCatInTheHairnet Thu 21-Feb-13 00:09:20

Vicar, I love Juno.

Clary Thu 21-Feb-13 00:15:58

Yes Tolliver that is the thing.

There are films that are reasonable as a 12A ie "you can take your 9yo to see this but be aware there may be nasty bits" and others which are reasonable as "hmm this is only really OK for an 11-12-13-14 yo" but really only a 12A is a fair cert for that too! Can't say a film is OK for a 12yo and make it a 15, I agree.

I guess I have been watching 12As for a while now with my DC and I was just surprised.

Clary Thu 21-Feb-13 00:17:58

Harry Potter for example, there is nothing very terrible in any of those apart from Emma whatnot's abysmal overacting. Even the scenes with Voldemort are mainly creepy rather than age-inappropriate. Certainly DS2 who was 8 at the time saw the last one at the movies and I had no qualms as I sat with him (he has a strong stomach tho). There is no way I would want an 8yo t see Les Mis.

Startail Thu 21-Feb-13 01:06:40

I think the problem is a 12 cert. is unworkable, 15 year olds can get on a and go to the cinema by themselves my 14yo and her 15 yo BF do.

I wouldn't let DD2 and her friend do the same trip.

If Mum goes, younger siblings tend to tag along too. Given 2-3 year age gaps, I think you inevitably get parents with 9-13yos, who want to see the same things.

It's a farce anyway as 12-15 yo don't have ID.

nailak Thu 21-Feb-13 01:15:13

I remember when i was 12 Mre Doubtfire was a 12a, not exactly in the same league as les mis is it? Maybe what we see as appropriate for 12 year olds to watch has changed?

I did see the stage show when I was around 13, and although most of it went over my head, I found it an incredible experience.

therontheron Fri 22-Feb-13 13:21:53

I don't think its a 12A film because of that scene where the man is on top of her when she's a prostitute.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now