Before Sunrise/Sunset Fans

(14 Posts)
stringbean Sat 09-Nov-13 17:09:42

I loved the 'let me tell you: you're no Henry Miller - on any level!'

Ouch!!

Astralabe Wed 30-Oct-13 21:51:38

I just watched it and two lines stood out for me:

'I love how men believe in magic. Little fairies pick up the socks. Little fairies dress the kids. Little fairies make the salad'

And

'I understand why Sylvia Plath put her head in a toaster..

You mean an oven.'

stringbean Mon 29-Jul-13 17:41:20

Yup, saw this last week. I'm in love with the first two films, having seen the first one when it came out - I was at uni and had just been travelling, so it really struck a chord with me.

I loved this third film; I didn't find it depressing at all - I felt it ended on a really positive note, although I guess you could view it either way. Yes, I guess it was sad that Celine has become so much more cynical, but she was going that way in the second film - compared to her romantic view of the world in the first. And Jessie had not been as supportive of her and her career as he could have been.

But I thought the film really captured the reality of long-term relationships, how the romanticism gets edged out of the picture and is replaced by the dull day-to-day minutiae of life; marriage/relationships with small children are hard work, there's no doubt about it - it can take a huge effort to keep things on track. But I think Jessie and Celine will make that effort, and I look forward to catching up with them in another nine years.

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Fri 26-Jul-13 09:23:07

I went to see it last night.

I absolutely adored these two films - they totally captured my imagination, and I saw the first one just before I set off travelling at the same age they were in the film.

Has anyone else seen it? I don't want to give anything away in case others haven't yet I see it. I found it so depressing, though. sad

Witco Tue 26-Mar-13 09:51:38

Oh brilliant! I didn't know they were making another one

MercedesKing Tue 26-Mar-13 09:47:01

Guess I am the last person to know about it... I would like to have a look at it in a hurry! Thanks for the recommendation!

BelfastBloke Sun 24-Mar-13 22:16:16

Julie Delpy wrote/starred in/directed a pair of films very similar to her work in Before Sunrise/Sunset.

They are Two Days in Paris and Two Days in New York. In both she plays the same French woman married to two different Americans (Chris Rock in the latter film).

More slapstick-comedy generated from the culture clash of Americans meeting her parents (played by her real-life parents).

MidnightMasquerader Tue 12-Mar-13 21:12:07

Oh my goodness, I had no idea about this!!

Love these films. Thanks for posting. smile

ZenNudist Wed 23-Jan-13 22:01:46

Squee! I wonder if it will follow the same format as the other two. I hope it doesn't ruin the magic of the first two.

swanthingafteranother Tue 15-Jan-13 17:31:21

I know he stayed, but whether he then got on the next plane is a moot point. Maybe he went back to his wife in the end after brief fling with JD, duty calling him home etc.
So there could be a new chance for will they won't they?

boogiewoogie Tue 15-Jan-13 14:53:43

No, he stayed. Julie Delpy's character says "You are going to miss your plane"
Ethan Hawke smiles and replies "I know".

swanthingafteranother Tue 15-Jan-13 12:47:52

OMG!!!! I love those films.

Did he catch his plane..? The tangle was too tangled. I wonder whether they will ever sort it out. And they are now the same age as the rest of us! I hope it doesn't end in another question mark.

toucancancan Wed 02-Jan-13 09:11:17

Thanks! Will await with anticipation.

FairlyDinkum Wed 02-Jan-13 09:08:50

Am I the last person on the planet to know about this ? www.imdb.com/title/tt2209418/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now