Are there any films that...

(24 Posts)
whyisthepathsounclear Sun 28-Oct-12 21:19:20

have a happy ever after, where the couple don't get together or stay together. If you know any, could you recommend them?

DH left this week. I am coping sort of, mostly because I am in denial, I think (might start a new topic in relationships about that). Anyway, I need some films that show the girl being wonderful and single and surviving without the handsome hunk. I have watched 'Sex and the City' and 'The Break Up', but can't think of any more!
I just want to feel like my life will not only go on, but improve now I am on my own!

ZombieSplodger Sun 28-Oct-12 21:28:28

Um, can't really think of any off the top of my head but I'll put my mind to it.

You doing alright? Relationships is a lovely bit of the site, lots of lovely people who know just the right helpful things to say. All I can offer is chocolate (for which there is no emoticon!!! shocking!).

KatyPeril Sun 28-Oct-12 21:32:44

Hedwig and the Angry Inch.

ImagineJL Sun 28-Oct-12 21:33:45

Educating Rita?

whyisthepathsounclear Sun 28-Oct-12 21:34:30

I am on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster. I flip between thinking, 'this is the best thing for me, I can enjoy everything much more on my own', and 'oh my goodness, I am so sad, I can't live on my own, I can't start dating again, I can't tell my family'.
I can't even enjoy chocolate as I feel so sick all the time! I am just trying to distract myself at the moment. Hence the need for some motivational cinema!

whyisthepathsounclear Sun 28-Oct-12 21:36:00

Thanks, keep them coming. I haven't watched Educating Rita since school, I remember reading it in Sixth form but can't remember anything about it at all!

ujjayi Sun 28-Oct-12 21:37:26

Shirley Valentine smile

ImagineJL Sun 28-Oct-12 21:39:13

Shirley Valentine sort of, although her husband does make a reappearance at the end, but you get the impression they won't get back together, because she's on a voyage of personal discovery.

ImagineJL Sun 28-Oct-12 21:39:33

Crossed posts!

The Way We Were

ImagineJL Sun 28-Oct-12 21:41:51

And if you want to torture yourself and remind yourself that it could be worse, you could try Terms of Endearment. I used to watch that when I needed a really good cry.

SoleSource Sun 28-Oct-12 21:43:33

Gone With The Wind

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 28-Oct-12 21:44:30

Hi there

Sorry whyisthepathsounclear <quick hug> but this isn't an AIBU so we've moved it to Movie Reviews.

Wheels79 Sun 28-Oct-12 21:45:38

Legally Blonde. There is a romatic sub plot but the main message is her personal journey. Same sort of thing in Pleasantville.

The devil wears prada.

EugenesAxe Sun 28-Oct-12 21:49:46

The Help, in a roundabout way. Don't look to be single or with someone if you can, just live & accept whatever comes along, if it feels right.

I hope you feel better soon... I don't hold with hokum much but after a very bad break up I did find a cocktail of Bach remedies helped & when I stopped [feeling very repaired], I lapsed into sadness again. I can't remember the tinctures but get the chart that shows what each does... I think one was Larch, perhaps Gorse too.

The Cranberries too; No Need to Argue - almost every song is guaranteed to release a cathartic wave of tears.

MsAmerica Sat 03-Nov-12 23:38:35

Oh, dear, my sympathy on your situation.

But, yes! Try An Unmarried Woman - which should perk you up more than Way We Were or Terms of Endearment.

GetOrfAKAMrsUsainBolt Sat 03-Nov-12 23:43:36

The Apartment. It is not about a single woman, but it is about a woman who was treated badly and felt worthless, and yet ended up feeling valued. The ending is ambiguous (someone else is in love with her, but you get the feeling it is not reciprocated) and the main thing I got out of it is that she felt valued which gave her the strength to leave a horrible relationship.

Anyway I split up a few months ago and watched this film lots of times during it. It really helped in a silly way. It is a beautiful film anyway, on lots of top films of all times lists.

And the best of luck. It is horrible but you will be OK.

CastAway, the one with Tom Hanks and Helen Hunt. I always want that movie to end with them together.

SleeveOfWizard Sun 04-Nov-12 00:14:19

One Day

The Object of my Affection.

Its a crier, but they all live happily at the end. dont want to give the ending away

GetOrfAKAMrsUsainBolt Sun 04-Nov-12 00:19:22

I think it is a good idea to watch films where you can have a good cry and wallow.

Bridges of Madison County is bloody marvellous.

juneybean Sun 04-Nov-12 00:19:28

The Break Up?

juneybean Sun 04-Nov-12 00:19:50

Oh sorry misread your OP!

missymoomoomee Sun 04-Nov-12 00:24:27

Living Out Loud or Ruby In Paradise would be brilliant ones for you.

Looking through my DVDs - V for Vendetta, The Wizard of Oz, Machine Gun Preacher all have strong female leads in them and no romance really. There really aren't a lot though confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now