The Hobbit will now be made into three films: too much?

(109 Posts)
BelfastBloke Fri 17-Aug-12 19:30:14

Do you think this is solely a money-making exercise, or are you happy at so much bang for the buck?

Film One - up until the barrel escape
Film Two - all of Smaug and Laketown until his death
Film Three - Battle of Five Armies and its fallout

It's all extended because there's all the stuff in the LOTR Appendices timeline about the White Council and their suspicions about who the Necromancer might be, and then their attack on Dol Guldur and driving him out (SPOILER he later arises as Sauron in Mordor).

Is this the geekiest first post ever?

BelfastBloke Fri 17-Aug-12 20:43:37

Christmas 2012
Christmas 2013
Summer 2014

LePan Fri 17-Aug-12 20:44:22

Well, elf/orc....hmmm..Tolkien recalls it otherwise, to a long-standing friend of mine who was one of Tolkien's students. But T. and friend were in a pub so the facts could have been a bit blurred...smile

PicklesThePottyMouthedParrot Fri 17-Aug-12 20:46:07

This Christmas! grin

EcoLady Fri 17-Aug-12 20:47:44

Am reading it to DS as his bedtime story atm... three films is too money-grabbing. Far better to do 2 well.

BelfastBloke Fri 17-Aug-12 20:58:20

Yeah, but you're forgetting about the whole Gandalf storyline. He disappears for half the book, to go off and deal with the Necromancer.

If the films turn out to be about the animosity between the Goblin race and the Dwarf race, and also about the Rise of Sauron, and the Hobbit storyline is only one of two/three narrative threads, then suddenly you do have enough material for three films.

Don't forget the films have to set up the Lord of the Rings films, so there will be more about Sauron than in the Hobbit book.

motherinferior Fri 17-Aug-12 21:01:03

Colleague has interviewed the bloke acting Bard. Apparently v good looking.

They won't do that awful Elf-song, will they?

Tra-la-la lally go back to the valley HAHA!

Ok, very good points BB, I see how they can flesh it out now. Although sticylt speaking thats not actually in the book. But ok, and could be interesting.

Can I confess I found Sam Gamgee so very irritating in book/film. I was rooting for Smeagol tbh.

DioneTheDiabolist Fri 17-Aug-12 21:11:48

Yer swingers Belfast!

New(ish) BF has been putting off our LoTR trilogy marathon until we could see the Hobbit. If he thinks I'm waiting 'til 2014 he has another thing coming.

DumSpiroSpero Fri 17-Aug-12 21:11:56

Hobbit totty aka Richard Armitage a Thorin Oakenshield.

BelfastBloke Fri 17-Aug-12 21:14:10

Dione. It's 'another think coming'.

This has been well covered in Pedant's Corner. With much disagreement, to be fair to you.

motherinferior Fri 17-Aug-12 21:20:48

Ah but also will it have that smouldering tension? All those Meaningful Looks that Sam and Frodo kept exchanging?

DioneTheDiabolist Fri 17-Aug-12 21:31:57

Right, so I have told him the news and what did he say? What did he say?

He said "ooh, that means two trilogies. We'll have to do them over a long weekend in 2014".shock. He's keen, I'll give him that. Looks like I was the one with another think coming.

BTW, Belfast, not sure if yours was the geekiest 1st post ever, but it's deffo Top 5.grin

BelfastBloke Fri 17-Aug-12 21:36:47

<proud>

DumSpiro- In a word: No.

He has a long nose and botox and a trimmed beard. No. Just no.

Oh MI- no, nooooooo that made me clench involuntarily.

LePan Fri 17-Aug-12 21:37:53

<thumps shoulder in manly fashion>

Your just like...^Balin^, Pan.

<runs>

HumphreyCobbler Fri 17-Aug-12 21:47:57

This is something I am REALLY looking forward to.

Ok, just watched the trailer. Kili is the TOTTY official. A deart of women though. They could have made Smaug female.

Ive killed it. I killed the thread with my vile lust for dwarves.

<despairing gurn>

DumSpiroSpero Fri 17-Aug-12 22:02:29

LordF - it's not Botox it's airbrushing.

Does imagining this underneath the beard and armour help at all?

Works for me!

I know I'm in a minority here but he's a bit hairless and smooth for my taste tbh

I like gnarled hairy men. Like Treebeard.

DioneTheDiabolist Fri 17-Aug-12 22:06:21

Oh my, I seem to have come over all unnecessary.blush

DumSpiroSpero Fri 17-Aug-12 22:07:39

So Thorin is all mine then?

Woo hoo! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now