Are there any films you just didn't get/understand?

(120 Posts)
Kellamity Fri 06-Jul-12 21:59:33

I'm just watching the Matrix for the second time in my life. Had no idea what it was all about the first time but this time.......I have my DH explaining what on earth is going on!!!! grin

BettyPJones Fri 07-Dec-12 12:10:20

Vanilla Sky !?!

FloozieTinsel Thu 06-Dec-12 22:49:15

Eraserhead. It felt like drawing my nails down a blackboard for the entire, pointless, film. I shudder still to think about it and I watched it a good 14 years ago.

amillionyears Thu 06-Dec-12 22:43:45

I'm personally fine smile

Furoshika Thu 06-Dec-12 22:41:36

<actually I will hound myself off>
Sorry

Furoshika Thu 06-Dec-12 22:39:13

I said 'undereducated' I suppose because you're watching characters have an inner life in an outward way, sometimes (e.g. Lost In Translation) and I think more cultural education leads you in the direction of being able to imagine that.
<waits to be hounded off thread for being a twat>

Furoshika Thu 06-Dec-12 22:36:48

Ha ha no NOT The Matrix but that's a matter of taste.
I know, I am being patronising. I just can't bear that 'christ that was shite, nothing happened' attitude to some of these films.
I may recently have had an argument with dh about a film I loved and he refuses to acknowledge that it actually had a plot. (You Can Count On Me)
It's colouring my take on things a bit.

amillionyears Thu 06-Dec-12 22:35:59

Too many to mention. I must be verrry undereducated culturally according to Furoshika!
People tell me I must watch much more carefully, the first few minutes of a film if I am to have a hope of following it.
I always need an interpreter to help me through.

defineme Thu 06-Dec-12 22:35:05

Furoshika I think what some people mean by 'don't get it' is that they don't know why the films were raved about, not that they didn't follow the plot.

Also, I think being cultured and able to follow a complex plot line are two entirely different things and it's very odd that you think they mean one and the same.

I felt very let down by Submarine -I was promised a comedy and didn't laugh once, same with The Hangover -I laughed once watching that so slightly better.
I've loved a lot of the hated, but agree with mamma mia-I'd seen the stage show and enjoyed it for the excellent singing and heavy irony- there was no evidence of talent or irony in that car crash of a film.

PictureThis Thu 06-Dec-12 22:33:14

Pulp Fiction

Bladerunner

Mad Max

redlac Thu 06-Dec-12 22:30:06

Oh and I just adore the patronising "Don't give up" in that post too

redlac Thu 06-Dec-12 22:29:11

I just think it's a bit sad.
Some of the films mentioned here are truly beautiful and thought provoking

What like the Matrix?

XBenedict Thu 06-Dec-12 22:28:42

But surely preference and taste come into it. A film that one person finds beautiful and another finds boring surely doesn't make them uneducated?

Furoshika Thu 06-Dec-12 22:27:09

I just think it's a bit sad.
Some of the films mentioned here are truly beautiful and thought provoking.
Sometimes it's good to leave the cinema and have to work out what just went on.
Don't give up!

Finbar Thu 06-Dec-12 22:26:11

Garlicnutty - we also gave up on Crouching Tiger Hidden Bollocks film. Oh and also the Last Emperor ( I think it was that) - just strange and unnecessarily graphically cruel. Maybe I jsut don't get Oriental films!

XBenedict Thu 06-Dec-12 22:25:09

Furoshika you sound perfectly delightful hmm

redlac Thu 06-Dec-12 22:23:32

Did you mean that to sound so rude?

So this is why people put (lighthearted) in thread titles

Furoshika Thu 06-Dec-12 22:19:42

What a depressing thread!
I think a lot of you are undereducated to be brutally honest - culturally, I mean. Sorry.
I don't like all the films mentioned but can you not follow a plot?! confused

Roseformeplease Thu 06-Dec-12 22:16:27

Solaris. The first Tron film.

RedTinsel Thu 06-Dec-12 22:04:44

Yes to The Matrix. I think I followed the first one, but then it got all wierd and geeky and I haven't a clue.
I felt like I missed half an hour of Lost in Translation, if just seemed to stop before anything happened.
And as for Tinker Tailor, if you think the film is confusing never ever watch the original series. Hours and hours of not much happening.

Anything by the Coen brothers...I actually left the cinema during O Brother Where Are Thou.

Although my preferred genre of film is romantic comedy/anything with jennifer aniston in it blush

redlac Thu 06-Dec-12 21:49:13

I think there are some films that you are not meant to understand. I enjoy them for a piece of cinema like Donnie Darko and Inception

Jake Gyllenhall, Joseph Gordon Levitt and Tom Hardy distracted me too much from the plot

peggysuenotmarried Thu 06-Dec-12 21:38:21

I didn't "get" both 'The Master' and 'Punk Drunk Love'. I understood the plots but just couldn't find anything to latch on to with either film.

BikeRunSki Tue 04-Dec-12 06:36:26

Lost in Translation

Jamesdawn Tue 04-Dec-12 06:30:39

Donnie Darko..

Wallison Mon 26-Nov-12 00:47:41

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

I also love loads of the films on here.

Memento has a wicked twist.

The extended version of Donnie Darko tells you quite explicitly what it's all about with the old book and time travel and stuff. Basically, he dies so that she doesn't, but in doing so they never meet.

2001 is about evolution - the first step where they evolve into mankind is shown. Then the apex of mankind's evolution is shown, with all the whizzy space travel and stuff. Then the evolution into a new form of being is shown. There's more to it than that but that's the basics.

With Cache, you get the answer in the last shot.

Mulholland Drive is part-fantasy created in the head of one of the characters. That takes up a lot of the film, and there are signposts that it is a fantasy. Then you get to what really happened in the last part of the film.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is easier to follow if you keep track of her hair colour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now