Are there any films you just didn't get/understand?

(120 Posts)
Kellamity Fri 06-Jul-12 21:59:33

I'm just watching the Matrix for the second time in my life. Had no idea what it was all about the first time but this time.......I have my DH explaining what on earth is going on!!!! grin

stargirl1701 Thu 12-Jul-12 13:28:59

Alien 3. Disaster of a movie. Studio interference of the edit means the flow of the story is totally lost.

Ragwort Thu 12-Jul-12 13:31:33

Loads grin. Easier to ask which films I do get (loved Mamma Mia blush.

I don't understand any sci fi, star wars, Harry Potter, Avatar type, Pirates of the Caribbean etc etc grin

MorrisZapp Thu 12-Jul-12 13:32:35

All the Presidents Men

It was deliberately made to sound muffled, but even at full volume I couldn't understand that the frick was going on.

iknowwho Mon 23-Jul-12 14:15:08

Don't get me started on Black Swan!!
Shite shite and more shite and I really didn't get the buzz around it with everyone thinking it was wonderful - it wasn't!

Sideways. Heard too much about it before I saw it and found some of it really nasty ? stealing from his mum etc - and this was supposed to be a nice independent film with a heart?

I row about it with a friend every time we meet, it's become a regular discussion, he loved it!

Oh, and fecking Eyes Wide Shut - pile o'shite...

PrettyPrinceofParties Mon 23-Jul-12 14:42:09

I love Donnie Darko.

Don't get Napoleon Dynamite, Castaway (I was told that the film ended when he realised there was a resort on the island, camera pans out to reveal McDonalds etc. was disappointed when it didn't. )' Fargo, No Country for Old Men, actually most Cohen brothers film.

Trills Mon 23-Jul-12 14:45:36

I think there is a split here between

didn't get - didn't understand what was going on (Matrix, Inception)

and

didn't get - didn't see the point or think that there was any story (Lost in Translation, American Beauty)

iklboo Mon 23-Jul-12 14:46:45

Mulholland Drive. And why the unnecessary & gratuitous lesbian sex scene?

trikken Mon 23-Jul-12 14:50:59

Donny Darko, inception, inception makes my brain hurt.

Tree of Life beats Inception/Matrix/Memento weirdness hands down - help ma boab!!

There are loads of films I find a bit pointless, didn't 'get' Bridesmaids for instance (thought it was really quite sad how dysfunctional and unhappy everybody was, not funny at all), but so are loads of blockbusters.

Tree of Life requires a whole new level of weirdness to be filed under - there are 3 hours I'll never get back (yes, I sad through the whole damn thing)

Pirates of the Caribbean. Not a fucking clue. And I'm well clever....

glamourousgranny42 Sun 02-Sep-12 21:48:42

Children of Men - supposed to be fab, just thought it was a pile of unexplained shit.

Stuart Little - Its a bloody MOUSE!!!!! Ridiculous!

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Sun 09-Sep-12 09:02:38

Tree of Life was a crock of shit. Had NO idea what it was supposed to be about and i kept on waiting for something to happen. Switched off after 20 minutes of drivel.

MsAmerica Wed 12-Sep-12 23:12:48

Recently, Cosmopolis baffled me.

qo Wed 12-Sep-12 23:13:59

Memento, watched THREE times and still didn't get it

modifiedmum Wed 12-Sep-12 23:14:39

i didnt get lost in translation at all. or inception!

Alameda Wed 12-Sep-12 23:16:53

YES

Pasolini's gospel according to st Matthew and la notte

and probably anything that is supposed to be a legendary work of cinematic greatness just zzzzz

but have decided that film is generally not for me, except I like the idea of sitting still and being entertained

HalfSpamHalfBrisket Wed 12-Sep-12 23:18:30

Melancholia- didn't get it at all and it went on for hours.

Alameda Wed 12-Sep-12 23:26:08

for example did not understand Jesus's eyebrows, or rather his unibrow, and his terrible hair and out of sync talking and communist leanings

and then I feel shit because it is A Masterpiece and I obviously have some sort of congenital absence of the ability to appreciate such things

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 16-Sep-12 23:18:18

Did not like Glengarry - WTF, where's the story?

I enjoyed the Matrix but on reflection I have no idea what it was about.

I got twelve monkeys and memento.

Hated "Kids" - horrible film.

FarelyKnuts Sun 16-Sep-12 23:57:34

Did not get Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind AT ALL!
Hours of my life I will never get back angry

Clockwork Orange, and anything by John Le Carre

Oh, and Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones at the end of The Fugitive. WHAT does TLJ give to HF in a plastic bag in the police car at the end of the film?

bananaistheanswer Mon 17-Sep-12 00:10:54

Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas. What a load of bollocks that was.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now