The Hunger Games is absolutely brilliant!

(40 Posts)

I have not read the book and totally avoided any synopsis.

Utterly excellent just a shame I had to take 5 11yos.

A very strong female protagonist.

Long though.

Enough said - go and friffing see it.

Jamesdawn Fri 30-Nov-12 10:58:01

Its not that much good as compare to book. I did not find anything interesting in it.

timetosmile Tue 27-Nov-12 10:57:21

hands and others....DS (11) read the trilogy over the summer and was gripped by them and I fought him for them I thinks they're great for preteens.
Yes there's violence, but very deeply grounded in a context which makes them think hard about morality, value of life, living in a democracy/dictatorship, the greed for political power, civilian consequences of conflict etc etc.
We've had some really good discussion about 'big' topics since he's read them.

FateLovesTheFearless Tue 27-Nov-12 10:48:20

Sorry but the film is utter rubbish IMO. I read the books first and they were brilliant. Found the film a total let down, missed out or breezed over some important story lines and I don't particularly think the actress that plays katniss was much good.

handsandknees Tue 27-Nov-12 10:44:45

I went to see it with DH and we both thought it was great film but very, very disturbing. I've read the books too. DD(11) desperately wants to read the books and see the film but I haven't let her. I just think the whole idea is really sick and I'm not sure she could deal with that. But maybe I'm seeing it from a parents' point of view and she would read the books at a totally different level. Just not sure.

VforViennetta Mon 26-Nov-12 00:28:05

I haven't read the books, but have to say I really enjoyed the film, it is slightly derivative and had echoes of several other films/books though. Will probably watch the rest of the films.

AnAirOfHopeForSnow Sat 17-Nov-12 11:34:18

Is the ending different in the books to the film?

I have not read the books but the way the film end, well i just expected more.

susiedaisy Fri 19-Oct-12 20:36:19

My dc liked the film but I actually found the whole idea of kids killing each other and being taken away from their families really upsetting and it left me feeling unsettled for days!

BegoniaBampot Sun 30-Sep-12 00:58:54

Read the book recently at DS (big fan of the books)request so we could watch the movie. The book was very good, shocking and moving. Was disappointed by the movie (realise that movies rarely live up to the book) and scenes that had me crying in the book just didn't have the same effect in the movie. Just think it seemed badly directed. Got the impression the director had a checklist which he went through and just ticked off scene by scene. Just think when you really lime a book it's almost impossible to watch the movie without constantly comparing and criticising.

I loved it,so much so that I downloaded the audio book, and spent today finding things to clean and tidy so that I could listen to it in peace. As good as the movie is, the book is far better,.

EssentialFattyAcid Fri 13-Apr-12 17:38:32

My dd loved this film and has seen it twice
Suprisingly it was too much for me and I would have walked out had it not been that dd was quite happy
I still feel traumatised by it - just the whole idea of it really

sincitylover Mon 09-Apr-12 00:17:56

woops

sincitylover Mon 09-Apr-12 00:16:52

I went expecting to fall asleep - went with ds2 but instead I thought it was one of the best films I have seen for a long time.

For me it was trying to hold a mirror up to society - ie the obvious divide between rich and poor and the extent that reality tv could go for entertainment.

I thought it was sophisticated and very clever. Haven't read the novel but ds2 has and he had really enjoyed it.

It was violent though and am surprised by it's rating.

sincitylover Mon 09-Apr-12 00:16:51

I went expecting to fall asleep - went with ds2 but instead I thought it was one of the best films I have seen for a long time.

For me it was trying to hold a mirror up to society - ie the obvious divide between rich and poor and the extent that reality tv could go for entertainment.

I thought it was sophisticated and very clever. Haven't read the novel but ds2 has and he had really enjoyed it.

sincitylover Mon 09-Apr-12 00:16:51

I thought is was terrible!

It seemed as if they were trying to make the whole thing very emotional, but I found that they only bits that resonated with me were the parts between Katniss and Rue (?). The "love (or fake, but then kind of) story was completely emotionless and awful. Peeta is a drip.

I just thought the whole thing was tripe. I am not a film snob, I watch all sorts of crap.

Maryz Sun 01-Apr-12 23:01:05

The whole point of the book was that she didn't want to, but society put her in a position where she had no choice. So, morally, she is a good person, despite being involved in violence.

antlerqueen Sun 01-Apr-12 22:51:00

Caro, the books were YA (young adult) fiction, so the characters are mostly children/teens, but the books/films are not exactly for children.

And why?... Honestly, i think you should read the book(s), i don't think that could be answered in a paragraph or two smile

carocaro Sat 31-Mar-12 12:09:54

children killing each other, snapping each others neck, sounds dreadful. Why is a film like this necessary for children to view? Child death scences?!? I just don't get it?

pictish Sat 31-Mar-12 11:05:29

I thought it was a bit disappointing, in that it skimmed over things of gravity from the book...and I felt it could have been longer.

danceswithyarn Sat 31-Mar-12 11:02:14

DP won't go with me, so I think I'll go while the footie's on tonight! Does it stick to the first book or all 3?

gazzalw Sat 31-Mar-12 10:55:47

DW saw it as research to see if DS would be okay with it....her view was that it was no worse than some of the Harry Potter films and 007 ones.

We think the problem is with the whole 'selection process' and seeing children not much older than himself dying needlessly really. He is still fighting the whole inevitability of death and think he might struggle with the notion of them having to fight to the death. Certainly Roo's demise was apparently very moving and that particularly would be hard for an 11/12 year old to take on board....

weegiemum Wed 28-Mar-12 00:24:52

Oh bugger the daily mail (go on, use that one!)

I finished the book today, already on to BK2!

It's a very long time since I saw such a faithful movie adaptation!

bettybat Tue 27-Mar-12 09:46:13

I'm reading this right now, and can't wait to see the film. I'm not normally one to latch onto kids-as-adults books but these really are the exception! In no way like Twilight or Harry Potter. Harry Potter was obviously written for children, and Twilight made me want to kill myself in despair at Bella's wet lettuce-ness grin

Anyway! Loving this thread and it's interesting to see the perception of some of these posts - reading them, I thought they were balanced and a fair assessment of your views? Like you're all pretty much saying it's kind of violent but not terrible and it's more implied, etc etc. But did y'all know the DM have used some of these posts in an article about how the film is TOO violent? Hahaha!

weegiemum Tue 27-Mar-12 00:01:16

The dogs at the end made everyone in the cinema jump out of their seats and were by far the most graphic bit of the film (though I only cried at Rue's death).

I'd suspect 9 is a bit young unless it was a very mature 9!

antlerqueen Mon 26-Mar-12 15:59:37

Viva, maybe you could let her read it first? I haven't seen the film yet, will soon, but i think reading may be less shocking than seeing it in front of your eyes. Though the book itself is intense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now