Top movies for 8yo girls?

(15 Posts)
franch Mon 02-Jan-12 20:04:42

DD1 is having a joint 8th birthday party with her best friend, and we're showing a DVD. Trouble is, they both want to watch something they haven't seen before, and between them they seem to have seen all the movies we can think of.

I thought I'd struck gold when I thought of Bugsy Malone, but DD's friend isn't interested.

So please list your top movies for 8yo girls - I'm hoping that amongst them will be one we haven't thought of ...

Purpleroses Mon 02-Jan-12 22:23:15

My DD (8) loves Harry Potter more than anything else. Also loves old musicals - Annie, Sound of Music, Grease, Joseph, etc. Also Happy Feet, Bee Movie, Nanny McPhee and Monty Python and the Holy Graiil!

NannyPlumIsMyMum Mon 02-Jan-12 22:25:17

Bridge to Terabithia is fab and deals with some very good issues for DC of that age . My DD loves it . I do too . And it is miles away from Disney / nickelodeon drivel .

NannyPlumIsMyMum Mon 02-Jan-12 22:26:21

Ps have a look at the reviews on Amazon and see what you think .
Stardust is also lovely .

DandyDan Wed 04-Jan-12 08:51:07

The Hannah Montana Movie?

LAlady Fri 06-Jan-12 14:43:30

Grease, High School Musical, Coraline, Stardust, ET, Despicable Me, any of the Alvin films (!!) and the absolute favourite with my DD and her friends - Diary of a wimpy kid.

LAlady Fri 06-Jan-12 14:44:06

Mama Mia too

Davros Mon 09-Jan-12 17:21:54

My DD is 8 and loves Galaxy Quest (Alan Rickman, Sigourney Weaver), she also likes Julie & Julia, Miss Potter, Mrs Henderson Presents, The Rocketeer, The Aviator (Leonardo DiCaprio), A Good Year (Russell Crowe)
Some are a bit grown up, DD is practically an only child so is able to watch more advanced stuff as no younger ones to consider.

sozzledchops Sat 28-Jan-12 20:14:20

The Railway Children - I'm old!

aristocat Tue 31-Jan-12 13:33:31

how about something like Back to the Future smile

startail Thu 23-Feb-12 14:28:38

My 10 year old DD didn't get back to the future. The historical jokes all had to be explained.

Despicable me is hilarious, I want a minionsmile

MsAmerica Tue 05-Jun-12 20:16:24

I know this is late, but for future reference, check out The World of Henry Orient.

BellaOfTheBalls Tue 05-Jun-12 20:18:33

Despicable Me is the new favourite in this house. Hop is quite good too.

Is Mean Girls too old for 8yo's? I only have much younger DS's so am a bit clueless blush

invaderzimlover123 Wed 15-Aug-12 14:25:53

mean girls is way to old for 8 year olds! my daughters friend (7) and my daughter (8) were in a friends house and my daughter came back with knowledge of things little girls do not need to know. i decided to watch the movie myself, and a good half of the movie was spent by talking about sex, the main characters having sex, and so forth . i do not allow my daughter to watch these movies and i dont think anyone should either! the dvd box says PG but i would say 18/15 angry

NoComet Tue 28-Aug-12 23:52:30

Matilda and Charlie and the chocolate factory.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now