Reading between the wines - Rufus' book

(7 Posts)
RufusTheReindeer Thu 05-May-16 18:17:00

Hope everyone enjoys it

I came to it quite late as i really didn' t fancy it...dont know why i picked it up now hmm

Anyhoo...i found it difficult to put down and when i finally did...you know when you finish a good book and you close it and sit staring into space for a few minutes, ? well i did that

I was on holiday so i had no one to talk to about it hmm

Its probably not my favourite book on the planet, i doubt it would be one of my desert island books but i just thought it was so cleverly and beautifully done

BertrandRussell Wed 01-Jun-16 15:56:20

BertrandRussell Wed 01-Jun-16 15:57:02

Sorry- just place marking to write more later and realized that looked like the rudest review ever!

BertrandRussell Fri 03-Jun-16 22:00:27

I loved this book in the end. It took a couple of goes- and I probably wouldn't have carried on if it hadn't been for the guilt inducing pressure of the club. But once I got in to it it was so gripping I couldn't stop. And it's stayed in my mind since. Are we supposed to see a Mitford link by the way?

RufusTheReindeer Sun 12-Jun-16 16:14:42

Oooh i dont know bertrand

And yes ....worst first review ever grin

RatOnnaStick Wed 03-Aug-16 20:43:01

Well.

I'm not sure really what to make of this book. I sort-of liked parts of it. Each individual strand had something going for it but I had real difficulty reading the story (ies?) as a whole unit. Some of it was very good and some was very tedious.

The idea of Ursula possibly being able to see fleeting glimpses of what might be/have been is intriguing. I would have liked to see maybe just two or three alternative threads though.

And yes, the Mitford comparison can definitely be found if you squint. Certainly Nancy, and Unity.

RatOnnaStick Wed 03-Aug-16 20:44:30

Oh sorry. Didn't finish. I liked the book but I wouldn't attempt it again. Too many distractions for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now