Of Mice & Maltesers - Arti's book for Round Five

(6 Posts)
LolaLadybird Sun 03-Mar-13 19:46:10

Thank you for this book Arti. I can't say as I enjoyed it as much as others have so far. I do seem to struggle with any kind of 'family saga through time' novel though so it wasn't going to be an easy one for me!

That said, there were positives. I always find any kind of novel with twins slightly fascinating and I have read a few over the last few years. There is another one in this round (Aristocat's book) and Her Fearful Symmetry also springs to mind. I also enjoyed some of the historical references, like the drafting for WW1. The rural setting I was less fussed about but maybe that's because I live in one!

Thank you nonetheless - not a book I would have picked up for myself which is why I enjoy being part of this book club.

stickylittlefingers Sat 03-Nov-12 22:14:40

guilty as charged blush grin

artifarti Sat 03-Nov-12 13:13:06

BAD BAD slf! grin

stickylittlefingers Sat 27-Oct-12 14:16:44

I know this extremely naughty, but couldn't stop myself looking hmm

It is the book I thought it was! And I so nearly put it in myself. One of my favourite books (I won't mind reading it again!). Good choice arti wink

I really enjoyed the book and the characters were well drawn. I will say that the only one who really didn't ring true for me was Theo .... The descriptions of the landscape and rural lifestyles rang true. It was also an interesting insight into the way that twins interact.

It isn't a book I would have read or even knew about, so thank you!

Thanks too for the choc - it doesn't last long in this house!

artifarti Wed 03-Oct-12 14:11:29

One of my leaving presents from work was a copy of the 1,001 books to read before you die, which I often have a leaf through. This book was in there and it just sounded lovely so I ordered a copy. I am a sucker for books with rural settings (Hardy, Laurie Lee etc.) and I wasn't disappointed. I loved his descriptions of rural life and the changing of the seasons; I grew up on a farm and some of it took me straight back there. I was also fascinated by the dynamic between the twins - that Lewis obviously has itchy feet and an eye for the ladies but Benjamin only wants the farm and his brother. I don't have any direct experience of twins so found the intensity of their relationship really interesting and a bit bizarre (I suspect twins reading it would understand!) I know that thread members also have a soft spot for rural novels, so hope you enjoy it too smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now