Fur Quits Round 4 - Cersei's book

(9 Posts)
Pascha Tue 31-Jul-12 09:25:03

KoaP by TF

Pascha Tue 31-Jul-12 09:28:22

This is a lovely childhood wartime memoir with a couple of stand-out moments. I found it an easy read if a little slow at the beginning. The newspaper comment on the front says "heartwarming" and thats exactly what it is. A good book for the bath at the end of the day.

TeamGBgroupie Thu 02-Aug-12 18:13:33

Am starting this tonight!

TeamGBgroupie Tue 07-Aug-12 20:16:18

I enjoyed this book. As pascha says it is heartwarming, and uplifting too. It is a whisper of times gone by and the innocence of youth. I haven't heard the word eiderdown for years!!

Yes, quite a a gentle read, but thankfully not too sentimental (title made me fear it would be).

Ragwort Thu 03-Jan-13 23:32:16

Found this a bit twee really, just couldn't finish it.

itsatiggerday Thu 10-Jan-13 11:27:20

I quite liked this. It's undemanding and easyreading but a lovely balance to the more 'typical' evacuee novel describing more traumatic experiences. Given the volume of children who where involved, it's good to read of an experience which was positive in the circumstances. I would have liked a little more of the post war contact / adult perspective but maybe that isn't possible, the history doesn't really tell.

Lightshines Mon 04-Feb-13 01:29:19

I know what Ragwort means about twee, but actually I rather enjoyed this look at life as a 'vacky'. There were lots of images which stayed in my mind - blackberrying, Teddy getting run over, Miss Polmanour and her lost purse! Also, Elsie's predicament was a sharp reminder of how society's tolerance has increased in some ways, even though we all have reason to doubt that sometimes!

A book I would recommend to my Mum (born during the war) - but that is not a criticism!

And Rose & Jack are the sort of sensible, gentle yet fair parents I think we would all like to be really!

i really enjoyed the read. Im not usually into memoirs/ biographies and dont really want to read about peoples childhoods,but I thought this was a delightful story of happy times during the war. It was good to read about a positive evacuee story instead of the usual miserable tales of ill treatment and loneliness .Thanks Cersei.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now