Fur Quits Round 4 - Sastra's book

(8 Posts)
Ragwort Wed 11-Jul-12 08:51:44

M R by A S

Ragwort Wed 11-Jul-12 08:55:25

I have really struggled with this. When it arrived I was pleased as it is was something completely new for me, the sort of book I would never pick up in a book shop blush so I thought it would be really good to try a totally different style of writing.

However I found it really hard going, I would read a page and then just couldn't remember any of it or understand what it was about. I really didn't 'get' the point of the story at all.

I looked at comments on-line and this author clearly has a cult following but to me it is very much of a 'type' and it's just not my type !

I shall be interested to see what other people think about it.

itsatiggerday Tue 31-Jul-12 10:11:12

I'm sort of bemused too. Likewise I wouldn't have picked this up and hadn't heard of him. I didn't struggle to follow the story but I did struggle to believe it was actually what he'd written! I liked the satirical elements, I enjoyed some of the wry observations and the odd historical nugget, I just wondered whether the completely surreal story line was the only way of hanging those. Although I have to say, the final page made a bit more sense of the intergalactic element and also made me smile.

So overall I like it. Not likely to become a part of his cult following (especially in light of the book's contents!) but thanks for introducing me to it.

Lightshines Mon 24-Sep-12 15:28:02

I did try with this but was not able to get on with it. I don't particularly like the author in 'real life' and was always vaguely aware of his persona hanging over me whilst I was reading, which was not helpful.

There were one or two comments which made me smile, but I certainly would not call it a hilarious book. The story line seemed a bit amateurish almost, rather like a teenager had thought of it.

Sorry, not a hit with me!

This is not a book I would have tried as I am not a great fan of him anyway.
I did read it but finished with not a lot of thought. not quite sure what the story was about and the begning was a lottle confusing confused
However as i read this on holiday I know I was getting on my fellow sunlouger users nerves as i laughed to myself. Some of the observations he made were very funny- i even made DH listen to me read them outloud which i never do!!
Not a book i would think of recommending to anyone but having said that was not an unpleasent read just a little..... strange?!

Really sorry SAstra I struggled with this. It's not my thing at all.i really did not get it. I found it very unbelievable .I did try hard to persevere but it never gripped me.

Jas Sun 03-Feb-13 22:53:04

I read this book over a few days. It was very odd, but an interesting idea, and I quite liked it. I would definitely not describe it as funny at all though! There was nothing in it that made me laugh.
I don't know if he has written other books, but I wouldn't seek them out based on this one.

Cersei Mon 22-Apr-13 18:58:36

I had no idea that this comedian wrote books as well so was happy to give it a go. An interesting concept for the story but I'm afraid I didn't find it funny at all. It wasn't a bad read but don't think I'd be rushing out to look for anything else he's written.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now