Of Mice and Maltesers - chat thread for round three.

(242 Posts)

First posting date - 1 August.

Please email the initials of your book and author by 20 July to ali41w at googlemail dot com.

Hi all - Johnworf - I have posted the book and choc off to you today - hope it arrives.

Sorry to hear about your ankle Lola - sounds horrible! I have just finished the second part of the Ibis trilogy - River of Smoke all about the Opium Wars.

Hope the ankle gets better soon..

aristocat Thu 25-Aug-11 23:32:50

Lola sad at your ankle ....... hope it gets better quickly. i have the next book ready to post to you tomorrow (only a week early) and hope that you are still enjoying some extra reading time

i usually find it more difficult whilst the DCs are on school holidays to get chance to read, but have managed well so far

artifarti Fri 26-Aug-11 08:01:13

Ouch lola, hope it heals quickly. I am reading Fragrant Harbour by John Lanchester, which is set in Hong Kong and relly enjoying it. Nearly finished it though so looking forward to the next book!

Itsjusta - will try and post yours soon.

LolaLadybird Sat 27-Aug-11 15:59:35

Aristo - thank for posting book early, looking forward to receiving it.

Managed to get DH to post yours today AgentP so should be with you on Tuesday.

Wishing everyone an enjoyable long weekend.

Got your book today, thanks, Lola - it was a lovely surprise because I hadn't read your last post and thought you might not be able to get out to send it with your sore ankle. I'm looking forward to reading it.

stickylittlefingers Mon 29-Aug-11 19:12:35

this is a total change from last time, isn't it, getting the books early! Long may it continue!!

LolaLadybird Tue 30-Aug-11 17:24:34

Book arrived today Aristo - thank you. Have heard of it but haven't read it (Dysgu's book) so looking forward to getting started. Nearly finished 'What the Nanny Saw' which really is chick-lit but have been in the mood for an easy read over the last week so it's been fine.

artifarti - thank you for the book and choc - it arrived today. Good thing school starts this month I get my mornings back ....

Does everyone have a new book now?

lola, I had to stop reading last night - I was terrified (and DH was away). Desperate to get back to it tonight though.

artifarti Fri 02-Sep-11 15:27:49

I have my book (*APs*) and a jolly good read it is too. Exactly the sort of book I love. I am struggling with a combo of horrid cold and morning sickness at the moment so spending a lot of time prone on the sofa so very glad of a chunky read.

Looks like it's shaping up to be a good round of books (glad we went for quality over quantity this time teehee wink)

aristocat Fri 02-Sep-11 17:05:22

i am without book ATM but i am sure it will arrive soon.

stickylittlefingers Fri 02-Sep-11 19:58:46

poor arti - sounds horrid. tis a good book to be moored up with though. Hope you get better soon from the cold - I guess the morning sickness will go in its own good time...

Poor aristo - no chocolate book! Looks like Dysgu only got it in the middle of last month though. DD1 is remarkably good at getting freebies from Thorntons (and the Body Shop - it must be a special talent she has!) - perhaps you could hang round looking big-eyed (thinking Puss from Shrek) and get a few tidbits to keep you going??

LolaLadybird Sat 03-Sep-11 08:02:52

Poor you Aristo - can you still manage the chocolate? When I had morning sickness with DS I couldn't go near the stuff, even DH eating next to me was enough to turn my stomach. (Actually a kind of prolonged morning sickness aversion to choc and all things sweet would work wonders for my waistline!)

AP - 'tis a good read isn't it, I struggled to put it down between reads.

Dysgu - I am about half way through your book already (still having plenty of sofa time for my ankle) and much enjoying.

artifarti Sat 03-Sep-11 09:24:15

No sad I can't bear chocolate. Or tea. Or pretty much anything that isn't potato waffles or salt and vinegar crisps. I am 12 weeks now though so am hoping that it will all start to pass soon. Hope your ankle is on the mend.

LolaLadybird Sat 03-Sep-11 12:05:44

Oh yes, remember the tea aversion too - was one of the trickiest things to not give the game away in the office in the early days of pregnancy. I had a v big thing about cheese with my first pg - cheese biscuits, cheese & onion pasties, cheese crisps - think it must be a salt thing! Congratulations by the way!! smile

Ankle mending v slowly. Am walking a bit easier but still limping and it is still swollen. GP said it could be a slow process to get back to normal walking - up to 6 weeks or possibly longer shock. Apparently a severe sprain can take longer to heal than a break sometimes.

We can feel sorry for ourselves together ...!

Congrats, Arti - I didn't realise you were pregnant. I went right off white wine and Doritos when I was pregnant, and I'm still not keen on them now - 16 years later. I love every other kind of crisp (and alcoholic drink).

Glad your ankle is a bit better, Lola. I've finished that terrifying book, so I shall post on Artistocat's thread v soon.

LolaLadybird Sat 03-Sep-11 18:49:01

I have just finished Dysgu's book - a lovely, lovely book. Will post on her thread in due course.

Definitely a record for me - my M&M book all finished by the third of the month!!

Congrats Arti - I remember the aversion to tea! The worst thing that happened to me was that I was sick on a crowded commuter train - the men in suits just stared at me and no-one offered any help. Thank heavens I was travelling with DH who was able to offer me a few tissues ...

Any bets who will be pregnant the next round??

aristocat Sat 03-Sep-11 21:07:11

congratulations arti smile

Dysgu Sat 03-Sep-11 22:12:45

Sorry aristocat but your book is all packaged and ready to go - was all set to post it on Wednesday and then I fell off the kerb loading boxes into the boot of the car...and I too have a badly sprained ankle and have hardly left the house since getting back from the hospital!

I am starting a new job on Monday! The A&E people were joking that I could select a cast to match the school uniform but then we were all (pleasantly?) surprised to find that it is not broken!

I must admit that I ran out of time with the book as it arrived late - but I have downloaded it onto my kindle to finish.

LolaLadyBird glad to hear you enjoyed my book; but shock about 6 weeks to fix a sprained ankle - I need to be driving within a fortnight or won't be able to get to work once DP goes back to work (he is off for two weeks now to cover childcare for DD1 starting school).

Arti congratulations - I didn't know you were pregnant again - hope you are over the morning sickness and are in the 'blooming' stage! The second time round was so much more exhausting for me until someone pointed out that it would be as there is the older one to run about after!

aristocat Sat 03-Sep-11 23:14:46

crikey dysgu sad at your poorly ankle - hope it gets better soon ....... dont worry about the book, just send when you are able to.

good luck with the new job smile is it primary or secondary school you are in?

LolaLadybird Sat 03-Sep-11 23:51:04

Poor you Dysgu ... and quite freaky that there are 2 of us on this thread with a sprained ankle!

I was told 3-6 weeks by the doc in A&E for the swelling to go down and to be walking normally but the GP said it could sometimes take longer. I too was shock and quite unconvinced but 2 weeks on I can believe it. I've been signed off work for 2 weeks because I can't drive my car (I can drive DH's because its an automatic but it's a company car and so I can only have it on the days he's not visiting customers) and also can't sit for too long. The whole thing is hugely inconvenient. I too work in a school and it just seems wrong to not be there at the start of the school year.

It does depend on how severe the sprain is tho' and I don't think there's any way of telling other than how long it takes to heal.

artifarti Sun 04-Sep-11 17:00:41

Oh no dysgu, sorry about your ankle and hope it's better in time for your new job.

I have finished APs book despite it being a whopper. Very unputdownable. I won't post it on just yet as I think it might get a bit confusing but will probably post it a bit earlier than 1 October as it's quite a thick read. Will post on your thread now...

Dysgu Mon 05-Sep-11 23:50:03

Sorry - book did not make it to the post office yet, aristocat but DP is off for the next two weeks so he will get it posted!

Ankle is still very sore and black - have managed to get hold of a pair of crutches which helps and new colleagues at new job were great today - set up my tables, carried work books from one end of the school to the other.

As DP is off he will have to drive me to/from work each day until I can drive - a slight nuisance as it means getting girls ready extra early, but is all going to be busy anyway as DD1 starts school (not mine) next Monday and DD2 starts pre-school this Thursday (hence DP being off work to settle them in!)

Am back in a primary school having done the last 4 years in a middle school - will be good but much busier! Will be 'perched' on my desk for the first couple of weeks until my ankle is better, I think!

aristocat Mon 12-Sep-11 12:59:04

how is everyone getting on now DCs are back at school? more reading time for me grin

no sign of the book yet Dysgu, have you managed to send it yet? more importantly is your ankle getting better?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now