Of Mice and Maltesers - chat thread for round three.

(242 Posts)

First posting date - 1 August.

Please email the initials of your book and author by 20 July to ali41w at googlemail dot com.

aristocat Sat 02-Jul-11 18:07:32

great start AP, i just need to decide on a book smile

artifarti Sat 09-Jul-11 09:40:56

Ah, you've already done it! grin

Hello all.

Dysgu Sun 10-Jul-11 16:36:26

Hello All

I am off to browse my bookshelves and will then send an email to AP

Agree with what Arti said on the other thread choosing books that are unlikely to have been read by everyone already.

LolaLadybird Sun 10-Jul-11 21:48:13

Hi. Have e-mailed by book choice to AP this evening.

stickylittlefingers Tue 12-Jul-11 18:38:37

hello again... Am having customary confused about the book. I'm all worried now that it's actually really well known, just I was out the loop for years!!

artifarti Thu 14-Jul-11 20:33:39

AP - am just sorting out the table to email to you. Am assuming the following people, as have not had a reply from anyone else by email:

AgentProvocateur
aristocat
artifarti
johnworf
stickylittlefingers
ItsJustaFleshWound
Dysgu
LolaLadybird.

I think we can pretty much assume that all of the books have dropped into a black hole too! Has anyone received theirs back?!

Will also email initials of my book and author.

I trust you have received my e-mail and we will have the posting (and choc!!) details to post.

Looking forward to it - thanks!

Well, I'm back to rain and a mountain of washing (thanks to a bottle of shampoo that spilt over the few clothes that were clean!)

So far, I've had book choices from SLF, LolaLadybird, ItsJustaFleshWound and Artifarti, so a couple more still to come in.

I can't decide what book to choose, so I'm going to have a rummage in the bookcases tomorrow and hope that inspiration strikes me.

Good point on the last thread, Arti, about not choosing bestsellers - it's so disappointing to open that envelope only to find that it's one you've read.

aristocat Wed 20-Jul-11 13:06:54

AP just going to email you now - have been torn between two books this time ........

aristocat Wed 20-Jul-11 13:15:31

AP you have mail grin

BTW JohnWorf is on hols - i am sure she will contact as soon as she returns home

Aristocat I've not got your email. Could you resend it please?

I'm struggling to choose a book this time round. I always seem to choose miserable books for my RL book group, and for the last two rounds of this. I have ordered one from Amazon that I read years ago and enjoyed. I'll need to quickly re-read it before I decide, in case it's not as good as I remember.

aristocat Thu 21-Jul-11 10:47:40

AP have emailed again to ali41 - hope you get this one smile

I've got everyone's choices now, apart from Dysgu and JohnWorf (who is on holiday), so I'll give them both a couple of days to reply, then I'll email you all with addresses at the start of next week.

I can't guess any of your choices by the initials, and there are no duplicates so far. Can't wait to get started!

Dysgu Sun 24-Jul-11 22:20:59

Sorry for delay - but have sent my choice to AP now.

Things have been very busy and rather emotional here - the school where I work closed its doors forever on Thursday as the county is reorganing and middle schools have all closed. Most people have been redeployed but some have chosen to leave the island and everyone is going to starting afresh in september - so there were many tears from staff and our 500+ students this week.

All sorted now though, and ready to read some books and enjoy the beach before sorting my new classroom later during the holidays.

A bit worried about my book choice - concerned that others may have read it! No one had at my RL book group so going with my choice and keeping my fingers crossed.

Hope all is good with everyone else.

OK, you should all have an email now with the details of the person you are posting to and - more importantly! - their chocolate preferences. I think JohnWorf is still on holiday, because I've not heard from her yet but I'll send her a PM.

The posting order is:

LolaLadybird
AgentProvocateur
StickyLittleFingers
Artifarti
Itsjustafleshwound
JohnWorf
Dysgu
Aristocat (to LolaLadybird)

Remember to put your MN name inside the book before you post it.

Can't wait to get my first book!

Oops!! I have just posted the book to JohnWorf so I hope it will be there when she gets back ...

Thanks for taking on the organisation ...

aristocat Thu 28-Jul-11 19:11:03

hello all ...... LolaLadyBird your book and chocolate has been posted today smile enjoy!

stickylittlefingers Fri 29-Jul-11 18:29:50

hello! Book and choc are on their way, arti... I can't wait to get going on this again!!

Have a lovely weekend, everybody smile

I had a last-minute change of book, but it's now in the post to you, SLF.

stickylittlefingers Sat 30-Jul-11 21:24:52

smile Thank you!

We could make a "didn't make the final cut" list as well perhaps, for when we need inspiration and it's still a week until the next book arrives? I'd be interested to know what you didn't send, IYSWIM. I've read more William Trevor since AP sent Lucy Gault, for instance, he's really good isn't he?

LolaLadybird Sun 31-Jul-11 22:52:59

Thanks for the book and choc Aristo - looks like a real page turner and looking forward to getting started. We are off on hols next weekend so have added it to the top of my holiday book stash. Don't think the choc will have to wait so long ....

AgentP - yours is all packaged up ready for a trip to the post office tomorrow.

Sticky - I'd also be interested to know what was on the 'didn't quite make it' list. Like AgentP, I very nearly changed my book choice this weekend but I don't own a copy of the other book and figured it wouldn't be a good start to be late in the first month whilst I waited for an Amazon delivery!

I can't wait to get mine.

My didn't-quite-make-it list went like this: Decided on Portofino by Frank Schaeffer but when I bought it and re-read it, it wasn't quite as good as I remembered. Then I was going to go for A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry because I read it on holiday and was blown away by its brilliance, but I thought its sheer size (and unrelenting tragedy) would be offputting. So then I decided on The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway but I thought some of you might have read it.

The one I decided on was one I read a couple of years ago, and really loved. It's quite thick, but easy to read. Don't let the back blurb put you off. In fact, don't read the back before you start it. Hope you all enjoy it.

stickylittlefingers Mon 01-Aug-11 17:12:22

I have been warned wink...

Thanks for the Also-rans. I will make a note for the next time I'm in the library (I've come home from the library with four extra books today - thinking that 5 plus the chocolate will keep me going while I go down with the DDs to stay with my parents next week. They tend to go to bed quite early...)

artifarti Mon 01-Aug-11 18:32:47

Thanks for the book and choc slf! Looks good and I haven't read it so will make a start tomorrow.

itsjusta - yours is in the post. It's quite a chunky one but I was so absorbed by it that I couldn't put it down so hope you find the same.

By the way, are we going to start threads for each of the books? I used to quite like that (before it all went wrong last time round...)

AP - I read A Fine Balance a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

stickylittlefingers Mon 01-Aug-11 19:12:13

The ones that didn't make it...

Rosy Thornton's Hearts and Minds I wasn't sure if this might be classed as chicklit... I wouldn't, I must admit - Rosy calls it "gradlit". (BTW I do know Rosy, I'm not being weird!!). This one has more barbs than the others, but I would recommend her novels as being not hard, but still intelligent and very warm-hearted.

Arnold Bennett's Riceyman Steps A scary story!! I love Bennett.

Irene Nemirovsky's Jezebel This was the one I was worried everyone would have read already. I read Suite Francaise a few years ago and found it very moving. I've only more recently read others by her, for some reason (time, probably!). This one is a great critique of the pressure on/by women to be "forever young". "David Golder" is really really good, too - amazing she wrote it when she was only 26. This may of course be old news to you all!!

stickylittlefingers Mon 01-Aug-11 19:14:15

oh yes, meant to say that I think the book pages are a good idea. I like it when they get discursive!!

Is this the time to admit that I didn't have any nearly-runs?? It isn't that I am sure of my choice, just that I don't think I could have chosen a worse book than I did the last round ! (or am I setting myself up??)

What was your book in the last round, itsjusta? It can't have been that bad if I can't remember it...

Glad to hear that it didn't make too much of an impression grin!!

It was Prince of Tides (Pat Conroy)

I remember it now. I'd already read it years ago, but I enjoyed it very much at the time. Crap film, though.

Lolaladybird, your book and chocolate have just arrived. I was literally raking through the cupboard, looking for something sweet when the postman came. Great timing. I have read the book before, but it was years ago, so I'll re-read it.

artifarti Tue 02-Aug-11 18:27:13

I loved The Prince of Tides! smile

LolaLadybird Tue 02-Aug-11 22:54:57

Oh no, a shame you'd already read it AP. I hope that nobody else has. I'd never heard of it until I'd read or seen something about the particular condition so didn't think the book was that well-known. When I've mentioned the book to others, nobody seemed to have read it (although one mentioned the film).

Aah, Prince of Tides {backs guiltily away from thread as she recalls Itsjusta's copy still gracing her bookshelves ....blush} Although I think I could still claim the prize for most rubbish book of first round with my House at Riverton debacle (in my defence, DS was only months old and I was very much into 'accessible' books at the time!)

LolaLadybird Tue 02-Aug-11 23:11:19

Have just started a thread for my book (as in my own choice not the one I've received).

My also-rans are all fairly recent reads (in the last year or so) as I find it really hard to recall books from years ago:

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson (a cracking, rye observation of life in modern-day rural England)
We Are All Made of Glue by Marina Lewycka (I remember trying to stifle my laughter reading this on a train)
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Marie Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.(a lovely lovely book)

stickylittlefingers Wed 03-Aug-11 11:22:59

smile This is good! I love having the feeling of lots of good books to read (I do wonder why I didn't do a degree in Eng Lit given how much I love reading. If only I could have a word with my 17 year old self!)

My book and choc arrived this morning from the very cheery postman.... smile

I think I can honestly say I have enjoyed every book that I've had from M&M at some level - some more than others, of course, but none were a waste of time or anything like that (certainly don't need to be called a debacle!!). This is not to say I have never put aside a book in disgust... Passion of New Eve by Angela Carter I never finished. Utterly disengaging. And the one that came free with that Radox offer a while back. Stupid women in that. So just to prove I'm not mindlessly enthusiastic grin

stickylittlefingers Wed 03-Aug-11 11:43:44

and have also started a page for my book choice, when you're ready Arti...

Hi Artifarti -your book arrived today - all I can say is YIPPEE!!! My mum has not stopped telling me to read it as she enjoyed it so much - I am really looking forward to getting my nose in to a book and let the children entertain themselves ... and chocolate is well hidden in the fridge!

I honestly wasn't fishing with my posting - glad that you enjoyed it, but the pressure of choosing a non-bestseller, good read is hard!!

Happy reading everyone

aristocat Wed 03-Aug-11 19:27:45

thanks Dysgu book and chocolate arrived today smile

will hopefully start reading asap

Dysgu Wed 03-Aug-11 23:02:43

Glad book arrived aristocat - glad you hadn't already read the book as I was a bit worried that it may have been too obvious. I ended up de-selecting several as they had too many reviews on Amazon! I will try to hunt out some more interesting chocolate for next month. Very limited, shopwise, here on the island so will have to try harder!

I have yet to receive anything but it looks like JohnWorf is posting to me and I think I recall reading that someone was on holiday, perhaps her?

Need to read 'Beloved' by Toni Morrison for RL book club so will make a start on that instead...

Has everyone got their new book now? I'm heading off to bed now to finish mine.

aristocat Thu 11-Aug-11 10:38:10

nice book Dysgu enjoying it smile

artifarti Thu 11-Aug-11 10:51:34

I've finished mine - thanks slf, I really enjoyed it. Will post on your thread.

The ones I nearly chose were:

Beijing Coma by Ma Jian (all about the 1989 student's revolution and Tiananmen Square massacre) but then I thought it was quite long and maybe I only liked it because I recently went to China!

Puffball by Fay Weldon but then I thought it might be a bit freaky and gynaecological...

I think I've chosen one for next time though...so hurry up everyone! wink

Bookj received - really enjoying it. Blast the school holidays and having children to entertain !

aristocat Sat 13-Aug-11 13:43:34

Dysgu i have finished your book - can you start a thread so i can post my thoughts please smile

Dysgu Sat 13-Aug-11 22:09:05

Johnworf thank you for the book - collected it from the sorting office today. Looks interesting. Have only read one book by that author - and that one was said to be very different from his others so looking forward to starting yours.

aristocat off to start a thread right now!

LolaLadybird Mon 22-Aug-11 14:36:38

Back off hols and have finished your book Aristo - didn't take long, I like a good page turner! Will post my thoughts on your thread.

LolaLadybird Wed 24-Aug-11 07:13:42

Hi Ladies. How are you all? And how is everyone getting on with their books? I'm eagerly awaiting the next posting date (being on holiday helped me get ahead with my reading!).

Would be interested to know what else you are all reading at the mo. I managed to fall off a horse at the end of my hols sad and badly sprained my ankle so have been spending a lot of time with my foot up on the sofa - has certainly given me some extra reading time.

I have just ordered a copy of What the Nanny Saw. Read some reviews on another thread which were v positive, apparently more than just your average chick-lit (which was what I was expecting from the cover).

Lola, sorry to hear about your ankle. I went on a horse this summer for the first time in over 20 years, and I was terrified. It was a huge horse, and I didn't enjoy it at the time at all (although, now that some time has elapsed, I'd love to do it again!)

Anyway, to answer your question, I'm reading The New Confessions by William Boyd, and thoroughly enjoying it.

Here's a confession of my own - I somehow totally forgot that we had posting dates, so I've already sent next month's book on to stickylittlefingers.

Lolaladybird, if you want to send the next one early to me, feel free.

LolaLadybird Wed 24-Aug-11 14:15:21

Hi AP. It was the first time I'd ridden in a few years - I used to ride a lot before I had the DC's but it's one of those things that had gone by the wayside. Annoying thing was I went out on the same horse the morning before and had a completely uneventful ride but then the next day it all went wrong! I don't know if I'll feel differently in a few weeks/months time but at the moment, I can honestly say, I have no interest in getting on a horse again!

Will send my book on early if I can get myself to a post office - mobility a bit of problem at the mo as can't drive but have fingers crossed for a quick recovery!

stickylittlefingers Wed 24-Aug-11 15:57:53

oooh, my book's coming already! What a bonus!! Thanks AP! I guess there's no reason why I shouldn't send Arti's on early too.

lola - poor you! I hope the ankle gets better soon. I did much the same thing on my 21st birthday. The party wasn't quite spent how I'd imagined (tho cue lots of jokes about not having so far to fall over, or starting early in the day etc...). I'm reading Robert Harris's "Lustrum" - about Cicero. It's very jolly, typical Robert Harris, if you like that sort of thing (which I do!)

Hope all is well with the chocolate-eaters...

Hi all - Johnworf - I have posted the book and choc off to you today - hope it arrives.

Sorry to hear about your ankle Lola - sounds horrible! I have just finished the second part of the Ibis trilogy - River of Smoke all about the Opium Wars.

Hope the ankle gets better soon..

aristocat Thu 25-Aug-11 23:32:50

Lola sad at your ankle ....... hope it gets better quickly. i have the next book ready to post to you tomorrow (only a week early) and hope that you are still enjoying some extra reading time

i usually find it more difficult whilst the DCs are on school holidays to get chance to read, but have managed well so far

artifarti Fri 26-Aug-11 08:01:13

Ouch lola, hope it heals quickly. I am reading Fragrant Harbour by John Lanchester, which is set in Hong Kong and relly enjoying it. Nearly finished it though so looking forward to the next book!

Itsjusta - will try and post yours soon.

LolaLadybird Sat 27-Aug-11 15:59:35

Aristo - thank for posting book early, looking forward to receiving it.

Managed to get DH to post yours today AgentP so should be with you on Tuesday.

Wishing everyone an enjoyable long weekend.

Got your book today, thanks, Lola - it was a lovely surprise because I hadn't read your last post and thought you might not be able to get out to send it with your sore ankle. I'm looking forward to reading it.

stickylittlefingers Mon 29-Aug-11 19:12:35

this is a total change from last time, isn't it, getting the books early! Long may it continue!!

LolaLadybird Tue 30-Aug-11 17:24:34

Book arrived today Aristo - thank you. Have heard of it but haven't read it (Dysgu's book) so looking forward to getting started. Nearly finished 'What the Nanny Saw' which really is chick-lit but have been in the mood for an easy read over the last week so it's been fine.

artifarti - thank you for the book and choc - it arrived today. Good thing school starts this month I get my mornings back ....

Does everyone have a new book now?

lola, I had to stop reading last night - I was terrified (and DH was away). Desperate to get back to it tonight though.

artifarti Fri 02-Sep-11 15:27:49

I have my book (*APs*) and a jolly good read it is too. Exactly the sort of book I love. I am struggling with a combo of horrid cold and morning sickness at the moment so spending a lot of time prone on the sofa so very glad of a chunky read.

Looks like it's shaping up to be a good round of books (glad we went for quality over quantity this time teehee wink)

aristocat Fri 02-Sep-11 17:05:22

i am without book ATM but i am sure it will arrive soon.

stickylittlefingers Fri 02-Sep-11 19:58:46

poor arti - sounds horrid. tis a good book to be moored up with though. Hope you get better soon from the cold - I guess the morning sickness will go in its own good time...

Poor aristo - no chocolate book! Looks like Dysgu only got it in the middle of last month though. DD1 is remarkably good at getting freebies from Thorntons (and the Body Shop - it must be a special talent she has!) - perhaps you could hang round looking big-eyed (thinking Puss from Shrek) and get a few tidbits to keep you going??

LolaLadybird Sat 03-Sep-11 08:02:52

Poor you Aristo - can you still manage the chocolate? When I had morning sickness with DS I couldn't go near the stuff, even DH eating next to me was enough to turn my stomach. (Actually a kind of prolonged morning sickness aversion to choc and all things sweet would work wonders for my waistline!)

AP - 'tis a good read isn't it, I struggled to put it down between reads.

Dysgu - I am about half way through your book already (still having plenty of sofa time for my ankle) and much enjoying.

artifarti Sat 03-Sep-11 09:24:15

No sad I can't bear chocolate. Or tea. Or pretty much anything that isn't potato waffles or salt and vinegar crisps. I am 12 weeks now though so am hoping that it will all start to pass soon. Hope your ankle is on the mend.

LolaLadybird Sat 03-Sep-11 12:05:44

Oh yes, remember the tea aversion too - was one of the trickiest things to not give the game away in the office in the early days of pregnancy. I had a v big thing about cheese with my first pg - cheese biscuits, cheese & onion pasties, cheese crisps - think it must be a salt thing! Congratulations by the way!! smile

Ankle mending v slowly. Am walking a bit easier but still limping and it is still swollen. GP said it could be a slow process to get back to normal walking - up to 6 weeks or possibly longer shock. Apparently a severe sprain can take longer to heal than a break sometimes.

We can feel sorry for ourselves together ...!

Congrats, Arti - I didn't realise you were pregnant. I went right off white wine and Doritos when I was pregnant, and I'm still not keen on them now - 16 years later. I love every other kind of crisp (and alcoholic drink).

Glad your ankle is a bit better, Lola. I've finished that terrifying book, so I shall post on Artistocat's thread v soon.

LolaLadybird Sat 03-Sep-11 18:49:01

I have just finished Dysgu's book - a lovely, lovely book. Will post on her thread in due course.

Definitely a record for me - my M&M book all finished by the third of the month!!

Congrats Arti - I remember the aversion to tea! The worst thing that happened to me was that I was sick on a crowded commuter train - the men in suits just stared at me and no-one offered any help. Thank heavens I was travelling with DH who was able to offer me a few tissues ...

Any bets who will be pregnant the next round??

aristocat Sat 03-Sep-11 21:07:11

congratulations arti smile

Dysgu Sat 03-Sep-11 22:12:45

Sorry aristocat but your book is all packaged and ready to go - was all set to post it on Wednesday and then I fell off the kerb loading boxes into the boot of the car...and I too have a badly sprained ankle and have hardly left the house since getting back from the hospital!

I am starting a new job on Monday! The A&E people were joking that I could select a cast to match the school uniform but then we were all (pleasantly?) surprised to find that it is not broken!

I must admit that I ran out of time with the book as it arrived late - but I have downloaded it onto my kindle to finish.

LolaLadyBird glad to hear you enjoyed my book; but shock about 6 weeks to fix a sprained ankle - I need to be driving within a fortnight or won't be able to get to work once DP goes back to work (he is off for two weeks now to cover childcare for DD1 starting school).

Arti congratulations - I didn't know you were pregnant again - hope you are over the morning sickness and are in the 'blooming' stage! The second time round was so much more exhausting for me until someone pointed out that it would be as there is the older one to run about after!

aristocat Sat 03-Sep-11 23:14:46

crikey dysgu sad at your poorly ankle - hope it gets better soon ....... dont worry about the book, just send when you are able to.

good luck with the new job smile is it primary or secondary school you are in?

LolaLadybird Sat 03-Sep-11 23:51:04

Poor you Dysgu ... and quite freaky that there are 2 of us on this thread with a sprained ankle!

I was told 3-6 weeks by the doc in A&E for the swelling to go down and to be walking normally but the GP said it could sometimes take longer. I too was shock and quite unconvinced but 2 weeks on I can believe it. I've been signed off work for 2 weeks because I can't drive my car (I can drive DH's because its an automatic but it's a company car and so I can only have it on the days he's not visiting customers) and also can't sit for too long. The whole thing is hugely inconvenient. I too work in a school and it just seems wrong to not be there at the start of the school year.

It does depend on how severe the sprain is tho' and I don't think there's any way of telling other than how long it takes to heal.

artifarti Sun 04-Sep-11 17:00:41

Oh no dysgu, sorry about your ankle and hope it's better in time for your new job.

I have finished APs book despite it being a whopper. Very unputdownable. I won't post it on just yet as I think it might get a bit confusing but will probably post it a bit earlier than 1 October as it's quite a thick read. Will post on your thread now...

Dysgu Mon 05-Sep-11 23:50:03

Sorry - book did not make it to the post office yet, aristocat but DP is off for the next two weeks so he will get it posted!

Ankle is still very sore and black - have managed to get hold of a pair of crutches which helps and new colleagues at new job were great today - set up my tables, carried work books from one end of the school to the other.

As DP is off he will have to drive me to/from work each day until I can drive - a slight nuisance as it means getting girls ready extra early, but is all going to be busy anyway as DD1 starts school (not mine) next Monday and DD2 starts pre-school this Thursday (hence DP being off work to settle them in!)

Am back in a primary school having done the last 4 years in a middle school - will be good but much busier! Will be 'perched' on my desk for the first couple of weeks until my ankle is better, I think!

aristocat Mon 12-Sep-11 12:59:04

how is everyone getting on now DCs are back at school? more reading time for me grin

no sign of the book yet Dysgu, have you managed to send it yet? more importantly is your ankle getting better?

Dysgu Wed 14-Sep-11 22:54:14

Hopefully aristocat you have now received the book and chocolate. It went into the postbox, finally, earlier this week - I know something posted at the same time has made it to Wales.

My ankle is getting better - the swelling has finally gone down and I am now able to get about. Luckily DP has been off work to have the girls whilst they settle into school and pre-school, so he has been driving me to work but I am going to have to manage by myself on Friday - I think I will be fine.

Settling into new job - am now teaching back in primary school although still Y6 - we have had a huge reorganisation of the education system here over the past 2 years and have moved from a 3-tier to a 2-tier system. It just means we are now writing the curriculum as we go as this is the first time Y6 have been in the school. Generally all going fine though.

Hope everyone is well...

aristocat Wed 14-Sep-11 23:20:48

yes Dysgu thank you book and chocolate arrived today smile i will start the book asap
glad your ankle is getting better

stickylittlefingers Sat 17-Sep-11 12:20:29

Hi everyone - glad to hear your ankle's getting better Dysgu. It sounds like you've got enough going on at work without having ankle problems too.

How is your ankle lola?

And arti how are you doing? Would you like an alternative to choc this month or are you just going to stockpile for later grin? If there is something you fancy let me know...

LolaLadybird Sun 18-Sep-11 19:47:02

Hi Everyone. Sticky - ankle is getting better but sooo slowly. I am still limping and it is still swollen - 4 weeks after I sprained it sad. I have seen an osteopath twice now and it is doing some good. She thinks my foot must have been bent back on itself when I fell off the horse hence quite a severe sprain. GP said a bad sprain can sometimes take longer than a break to heal so all quite normal but hugely frustrating.

Dysgu - glad to hear your ankle's on the mend, if a little envywink

Arti - how's the morning sickness ...?

Hope everyone else is well. I've been reading some real trash since I finished Dysgu's book a couple of weeks ago (currently on some chick lit that came free with a magazine). Roll on the end of the month to get me back on track ....!

stickylittlefingers Sun 18-Sep-11 20:03:11

Poor Lola sad I remember from my voracious reading of ballet books when I was little that dancers feared a sprain much more than a break. I have learnt some great stuff over the years!

I've been reading an Anita Brookner "rules of Engagement". Very frustrating woman - she just seems to think about stuff (with long words I have to look up blush!) and never does anything! I think I might be reading the wrong Brookner...

Hi everyone - sorry to hear you're still suffering, Lola. I don't know what age you are, but when I sprained my ankle a couple of years ago, my GP told me that it would take a while to heal because of my age(!) (I was 40 at the time).

I've not read much recently - mostly cookbooks in my bed! I have loads of them, but I prefer reading them to cooking from them (as the rest of my family will testify).

It's getting really wintery here now, so I'll hopefully get my reading mojo back soon.

Sorry - Dysgu, glad your ankle's getting better.

LolaLadybird Sun 18-Sep-11 21:22:59

Sticky - I know what you mean, I have amassed some amazing trivia general knowledge through my reading over the years!

AP - I am 39 so not far off the big 40. My DM did comment a couple of weeks ago when I was lamenting all my sore bits that I was 'no spring chicken anymore' (thanks mum!)

artifarti Fri 23-Sep-11 09:39:17

Hope all the ankles are on the mend. My sickness is getting better - slf I might be able to cope with some milk chocolate grin.

itsjusta - going to try and post the next book to you later today. it's quite a whopper so you might appreciate an extra week!

Thanks!

LolaLadybird Fri 23-Sep-11 18:17:00

AP - I will post mine next week if you're happy to have it early (don't worry tho', it's not a massive tome!)

aristocat Fri 23-Sep-11 19:28:52

Lola i have finished my book also, so will post to you next week if thats OK smile ....... have you started a thread JW because i couldnt see one?

LolaLadybird Fri 23-Sep-11 20:14:53

Hi Aristo - v happy to receive my book early, need something to drag me out of the chick-lit hell that I've been happily submerging myself in ...!!

aristocat Fri 23-Sep-11 21:15:55

okay dokey Lola will send it to you soon smile

lola, yes, happy to have it early. And I'll post mine to SLF early too.
Gosh, aren't we all doing well! smile

stickylittlefingers Sat 24-Sep-11 17:19:07

<sticks gold star on pullover> I also will post early. I bought the chocolate yesterday (and 3 bars for us, it was on special blush).

I think if there's an award for Most Improved Mumsnet Bookclub, we better book our table at the awards ceremony...

LolaLadybird Wed 28-Sep-11 18:12:00

Aristo - JW's book arrived today, thank you. Nearly bought it last Winter when I was deliberating between books in Waterstones so really looking forward to getting stuck into it.

AP - I sent yours yesterday so hopefully with you today/tomorrow.

Artifarti - book arrived this week - thank you!!!

Happy reading everyone.

aristocat Thu 29-Sep-11 09:40:58

Lola glad you have the book already smile

lola book arrived thanks. I'm looking forward to reading it. slf I'll try and get yours in the post today. Hope you're all enjoying your heatwave - it's wet and windy here. sad

stickylittlefingers Thu 29-Sep-11 11:15:53

Poor AP, that's a bit mean to have crap weather when everyone else is complaining about the heat sad Even in Co Durham I'm in my sandals. Couldn't believe how warm it was yesterday: if I were a bird I wouldn't know whether to fly south or north!

LolaLadybird Sat 01-Oct-11 10:02:06

Itsjusta - there is an extra package winging its way to you this month (I think you can probably guess at its contents!) blushsmile

Thank you!! It did take me some time to work it out when I came home to the padded, book-shaped envelope.

Thank you too for the choc - yummy!

stickylittlefingers Sun 02-Oct-11 14:24:16

Thanks for the book and choc AP - I'm afraid the choc was Friday's lunch blush (I did have an apple too..!) and the book was read by Friday evening. Sitting in the garden on the recliner while the girls did I'm not sure what because I was reading played nicely - bliss! Persisting it down today though...

Has everyone got their October book now?

lolaladybird that was particularly yummy chocolate you sent this month. I hid it in the cupboard under the sink with the cleaning things just to be sure that the teens didn't find it. It's the only cupboard they never go into. wink

artifarti Fri 07-Oct-11 12:37:55

Received mine and finished it. Must get round to posting on the thread...

Morning sickness cleared up so the chocolate has also been snaffled. grin

aristocat Fri 07-Oct-11 23:35:20

sad i have no chocolate book for october ...... is it on the way Dysgu <<hopeful>>

LolaLadybird Sat 08-Oct-11 20:06:04

Glad you enjoyed the choc AP. Think I can remember what it was so may well repeat in future smile.

I have JohnWorf's book and have been slow at starting it but took it with me to the fracture clinic yesterday which gave me ample opportunity to get started! DH away this weekend so planning an early night tonight for more reading (so wild and crazy on a Saturday night!!)

Aristocat, have you got your book yet? If not, let me know and I can send Dysgu an email in case she's forgotten.

aristocat Wed 12-Oct-11 14:26:31

AP no book - hope Dysgu is OK

I was just wondering what everyone thought if we halted the bookclub for the month of December??? That is to say, we do the November posting, but only post again on the 1st Jan??

It is purely selfish on my side - I have a frantic few weeks and I won't be in the UK for December, so I won't be able to do justice to the books.

What are your thoughts ??

LolaLadybird Tue 25-Oct-11 22:17:35

Fine by me - I think December is a bit mad for everyone. I have plenty of books queuing on my shelves if I'm in need of a read (may miss the chocolate more than the book if we skip a month!) wink smile

Am intrigued about where you're off to ... {nosey}

I am off to visit my parents in South Africa and have a hot Christmas .. v excited!

LolaLadybird Tue 25-Oct-11 22:39:29

Sounds lovely - hope you have a fab time (bet you'll be having some interesting conversations in December about the logistics of FC and how he'll know where the DC's are!)

stickylittlefingers Wed 26-Oct-11 09:44:26

I'm very envy itsjusta. You'll have to explain to me this concept of being hot (may be linked to that yellow thing in the sky you sometimes see in books?). Missing a month for Christmas is fine by me (agree with lola I'll miss the chocolate - I'll have to make sure I have stores in!)

Arti hope the new book has arrived with you, and that all is going OK.

I'm happy to skip December as well - it will give me a chance to read Jonathan Frantzen's Freedom which I've had beside my bed for months.

I am also envy of itsjusta. We're already waking up to frost, and it looks liks it's going to be another bitterly cold winter here in Scotland. I've even bought some thermal underwear already, because it sold out everywhere last year.

aristocat have you got your book yet? I messaeged you.

Hope you're all well.

stickylittlefingers Wed 26-Oct-11 17:17:36

Jeez, I've just copped on to what lola was on about with FC... I thought it was some in joke between her and Itsjusta, or perhaps some reference to S African politics I didn't get blush. Off to find a few brain cells to rub together...

LolaLadybird Wed 26-Oct-11 20:57:44

I am laughing at your post Sticky - sadly, S African politics way too high-brow for me, I am on much safer territory with Father Christmas!! grin

LolaLadybird Wed 26-Oct-11 20:59:16

How are we all doing with our books by the way? I just finished mine today, slower going than previous ones but still v enjoyable.

aristocat Thu 27-Oct-11 20:32:04

hello ladies ..... back home from sunny Ibiza and thanks Dysgu my book was waiting for me, i shall start it asap and send it on as quick as i can (it is a whopper!!!)

sorry AP only just seen your message, i have the book and will start as soon as i have tackled my holiday washing <<groan>>

hope you are OK too arti and happy to skip December if thats what we are planning to do smile

How is everyone? I'm going to put on my head prefect voice and remind you all to post on the individual threads once you've read the book, please! wink

Looks like everyone's happy to have December off (ie no posting on 1 Dec), which will give us plenty of time to read the books that will be arriving in the next couple of days.

I sent mine off today, slf, so you should get it tomorrow.

stickylittlefingers Mon 31-Oct-11 16:38:43

Thanks AP I'll be looking out for it.

Very envy of Aristocat being in sunny Ibiza. Good idea to find some sun/warmth before winter begins.

artifarti Tue 01-Nov-11 11:11:46

I'm good thanks! Just moved house and 10 days without internet, can you imagine grin.

I am happy about the December decision although I have finished that book and both books are pretty slim so will probably post them on together. Hope this doesn't ruin everything?!

stickylittlefingers Tue 01-Nov-11 16:44:51

arti 10 whole days? How on earth did you cope? grin Hope you're settling in OK.

I'll send on my November book as soon as I've read it, so you won't be bookless for too long. AP will keep us right, I'm sure! The new book didn't arrive today, which was extremely naughty of it, but I guess then it must arrive tomorrow. Time for me to finish The Savage Garden which I'm really enjoying.

Thanks for the book and choc, lola - it arrived today. We now get our mail at about 4pm, and it feels all wrong, I tell ya!

Anyway, I have read the book already, so I was just going to post on JohnWorf's thread but I can't find it. Has there been one started?

Dysgu Wed 02-Nov-11 19:08:21

I have posted my book to you aristocat - in fact it may already be with you depending if it got off the island quickly! a

I do need to post a comment but am not sure who sent the book in the first place - I am going to see if I can work it out but looking through the threads and counting backwards (note to self - list owner of book on arrival instead of thinking about it after it has been posted on.)

I too am in agreement not to post for December.

Hope all is well with everyone. Here we are trying to get used to the dark evenings since the clocks changed and are busy pretending that Christmas is still a long way off.

LolaLadybird Wed 02-Nov-11 20:57:44

AP - glad you have the book. I couldn't find a thread for it either so have just started one now. I think you're right with your head prefect bit too, I really enjoy reading the individual threads, it would be a shame if they died off (altho' like Dysgu, I had also forgotten to make a note of the name and would have been stuck had AP not have mentioned whose it was in her post!)

I'll await my book from Aristo - altho' sounds like you may have your work cut out for you if it's a whopper. No rush tho' if we're not posting on until January.

aristocat Wed 02-Nov-11 23:12:50

well yes Dysgu thank you your parcel did arrive today, has my postie eaten the chocolate or did you think i have eaten far too much choccie already didnt need any? grin
there is no MN name in the book except for 'webster' however the authors initials are AB if that helps. i think it belongs to itsjusta <<hopeful>>

Lola your next one is indeed a whopper blush but i am hoping to post it in the next few days .........

i also love the individual book threads, please keep posting on them ladies x

aristocat Mon 07-Nov-11 09:59:24

Lola the book is on its way ...............

AB is my book!!

Posted to johnworf today - hope it (and choc) arrives ...

Thanks again for agreeing re: Christmas - feel sad to have complicated things ...

LolaLadybird Tue 08-Nov-11 08:57:16

Book recieved Aristo - thank you.

Don't worry about complicating things Itsjusta - given the hefty tome wink that arrived yesterday, I am pleased to have an extra month and December is always busy for everyone.

Dysgu Wed 09-Nov-11 18:39:24

Sorry aristocat I have only just checked in (RL is just so busy right now) and seen that there was no chocolate in with the last book blush

That is what happens when you rely on DP to send a parcel - it WAS left open with the choccie requirements on a sticky note, not sure how much easier I could have made it (I also spoke to him about it, the sticky note was just a reminder!)

I have just asked him and his reply was, "oh!"

As we are not posting books until January, he will put a special choccie parcel in the post over the weekend! SORRY!

Dysgu Wed 09-Nov-11 18:41:39

And thanks for letting me know that the AB book is LLB's - so I can now go and post on that.

And no book for me yet this month?

artifarti Sun 13-Nov-11 13:07:40

itsjusta - books should be on their way in the next day or two - sorry for being tardy...life is utter chaos!

Hope everyone is good. x

no worries smile !

aristocat Wed 16-Nov-11 13:10:19

ladies ...... JohnWorf has been in hospital for almost 2 weeks now with her DD, she has pneumonia sad
i havnt spoken to her directly but she is a friend and so i imagine she has not posted her November book yet (sorry)

i am sure she will report in when they are home smile

Oh no - poor JohnWorf's DD. Pneumonia's nasty.

Dysgu I'm sure she'll post when she's out, and remember we're not posting in December, so you'll have extra time to read it. (And I don't suppose you'll be busy in December... wink )

Please send JW my love, and thanks for letting us know.

aristo if you do speak to johnworf, please also send my love and best wishes for a speedy recovery for her poor DD. It must be a terribly worrying time for them.

Dysgu Wed 16-Nov-11 15:57:18

No worries about not receiving a book but wishing JW's DD a speedy recovery, what a difficult time they must be having.

Of course, not that I can complain about not receiving a book as it is usually me who is so late in posting - and sorry aristo but the envelope of 'missing' chocolate has yet to make it to the post office. We have been coping with the death of a friend so things have been a bit all over the place this week.

Is there something happening next month that I should know about? DD1 is already singing Christmas songs they are learning in school so I guess something must be happening!

hi arti I sent off the book today (that doesn't need to be sent to 1 Jan, but if I kept it that long it would probably get lost or given to someone as a CHristmas present!). Will mine be your first Christmas card...?!

Hope everyone's doing OK. Any news on Johnworf's DD?

aristocat Thu 24-Nov-11 14:10:04

sticky JW and DD are home and almost better. her DD is a tough cookie smile

i have finished itsjusta s book - great choice BTW

that's good news indeed! smile

johnworf Sat 26-Nov-11 16:25:07

Hello ladies. Sorry I have been AWOL but I think aristo let you know that we were indeed in hospital and not sunning ourselves in Burmudawink

DD is getting better each day. Thanks.

I have posted off two books with extra choccy by way of an apology smile

artifarti Sat 26-Nov-11 17:39:19

Glad to hear your DD is getting better johnworf. That must have been a worry for you.

Book and choc received slf - thank you very much.

johnworf Sounds like you should go off and sun yourselves in Bermuda by way of recuperation! It must have been a bad couple of weeks for you, great to hear DD is improving.

johnworf Sat 26-Nov-11 19:50:28

Thanks ladies. It wasn't great I must admit but she's on the mend and that's all that matterssmile

Now to get down to some reading!

LolaLadybird Mon 28-Nov-11 21:28:06

Hi All. Haven't been on for a while - mad week with DS' 4th birthday last week and the construction of a pirate ship birthday cake, and then away for a couple of days for work.

JW - so pleased to hear you and DD are back at home and that she is making a recovery.

Hope everyone is enjoying their books. I am making slow progress with mine - it's a big one so I'm v glad we have an extra month or I'd have never finished it in time.

Can't believe it's less than 4 weeks to Christmas. Have looked in my diary and am mentally preparing myself for a busy few weeks...

a pirate ship birthday cake! Sounds very impressive - did you follow a recipe/pattern or was it made up by you (if it was a recipe, could I borrow it? DD2 would love something like that!)

aristocat Tue 29-Nov-11 18:09:52

Lola i have posted the next book to you today - i had read it quickly so you might as well have it early smile

are any of you on goodreads.com? I only stumbled upon it today. It's given me loads of good suggestions. Very impressed smile

LolaLadybird Wed 30-Nov-11 18:42:52

Will look out for the book Aristo - it will prompt me to get on with my current one which I am struggling a bit with.

Sticky - the cake was from a recipe from a friend's book. If you PM your address, I'll happily send you a photocopy. I have posted a picture on my profile page, so proud am I of my achievement! It was one of those rare moments when the end product actually came out like the picture!! smile

have pm'd you lola

Hope everyone's more or less ready for Christmas. Ours are at school for another week, but lots of concerts, dances etc, to look forward to.

Does everyone have the right book now? Hopefully, this month of no posting will allow the books to get back in synch. Saying that, slf I posted your January book yesterday. wink

aristocat Thu 15-Dec-11 13:57:46

AP mine finish school tomorrow sobs

Oh, that's a long time for the pre-christmas excitement to build up! When are they back? Ours don't go back til 9th Jan, so we maybe get longer at the other end (to recover from the Hogmanay celebrations!)

Hi AP I have the book, many thanks! I am relying on you to say what goes where when smile

Mine too aristo - though they're back on the 3rd, so about the same amount of time as yours AP. I'm glad they're finishing, TBH - it's the end of DD2's first term at school and she's utterly exhausted. They're both on the ceiling with excitement about Christmas, but I think it'll be calmer at home with boring Mum, so hopefully they'll make it to the 25th without spontaneously combusting!

aristocat Thu 15-Dec-11 21:48:05

tried to post earlier but MN went all funny hmm mine are back on the 3rd too

artifarti Mon 19-Dec-11 13:36:33

Ooooh, it's nearly Christmas! Hope you are all ready! I have finished the latest book. I don't think I'm meant to post it until February but will get it out in January at some point.

I have just been made redundant which in the grand scheme of things is not a bad thing as my job was horribly stressful. It does mean that I have 3 months until baby no2 is born and I will have SPARE TIME when DS is at nursery in the mornings. This is ridiculously exciting and I am going to read and read and read... grin

arti sounds like you're not especially upset about the redundancy, but hope you're OK nonetheless.... at least have a nice redundancy package for Christmas! And and big YAY for mornings to yourself, that'll be such a bonus as you get closer to the DD. I think it's really good for the older sibling to have their own social life, makes the arrival of the new bug a bit easier I think.

If you're done with the last book, I'll send on the next one. It's a good one, but one I'd already read. I'm sure you could do with a bit more chocolate!!

Hope you're OK, Arti. I left a horrible job in June and I've been doing bits and pieces of freelance since and generally having a great time and reading loads, but I'm starting a new job in January for three days a week, and I've taken on a massive contract to do in the other two days. I will have no spare time. sad The money will come in very handy though - I'll just need to get more organised and, more to the point, get the rest of the family to organise themselves too.

Hope everyone has a great Christmas.

aristocat Tue 20-Dec-11 09:51:30

arti hope you are OK too smile and will be able to start 2012 with lots of me-time. i have an MRI booked later today because i have been having dizzy spells since late August, they are awful sad hopefully i will get some answers soon.

best wishes to everyone and looking forward to my next book already

aristocat I hope you get an answer (and a good one) at your scan, you poor thing. I had labyrinthitis a few years ago: just a few weeks of dizziness was hellish, so since August shock must be grim.

aristocat Tue 20-Dec-11 22:56:30

thanks AP just need to wait 3 weeks for the results now hmm

aristocat Tue 03-Jan-12 20:16:03

HAPPY NEW YEAR smile

arti how are you? Relaxing and enjoying as much 'me' time as you can i hope ......

Dysgu Will i be getting a book from you soon?

LolaLadybird Wed 04-Jan-12 18:05:14

Hi and Happy New Year to all! Back to work today - a bit of a shock to the system!

AgentP - have posted to you today, apologies for being a bit tardy, all out of routine.

Happy New Year, everyone. We're so disorientated that DH thought today was still a public holiday, and only realised he should have been at work at about 11am, so don't worry about late posting.

Are all the books more or less where they should be?

LolaLadybird Wed 04-Jan-12 19:15:38

Yes, I've had my Jan book from Aristo since last month. It's been so long since last posting that I got a bit confused with two books in my possession (it doesn't take much confused).

AP that's classic grin I bet there was some scrabbling around in the Provocateur household!

I've sent on johnworf's book to arti. I'm reading Master and Margarita atm, it's a bit head bending but good so far!

artifarti Thu 12-Jan-12 10:35:17

Happy New Year everyone! I am good, thanks - not very relaxing as there always seems lots to do! We also have builders smashing up our house at the moment who are due to finish the week before the baby is due, eek!

aristocat - hope you are feeling okay and the scan sorts you out.

I had already read johnworf's book and so have posted two books on to itsjusta.

aristocat Thu 12-Jan-12 22:00:04

Dysgu have you posted to me yet? <<hopeful>>

Dysgu Mon 16-Jan-12 19:14:02

Gosh - I am VERY sorry but I had TOTALLY forgotten all about sending a book at the beginning of this month! In fact, had I not picked up the book earlier and wondered where it had come from, I worry to think how long it would have taken me to remember!

Sorry sorry sorry - not even sure I have any excuses just uselessness!

I will send it immediately - well, DP will send it in the morning.

Sorry sorry sorry sorry blush

Dysgu Wed 18-Jan-12 21:20:28

The book should be with you shortly, aristocat, DP put it in the post today.

However, I am not sure I have parcelled up the correct book! I think I might have sent the one that I received last - maybe? I had two books, one of which I had read before so now have read them both, and I think I have mixed up the order - does this matter hugely? I can always put the other one in the post already and you can swap them round...?

Oh dear - this is all proving a bit too much for me blush

Dysgu Wed 18-Jan-12 21:21:58

In the post already?

I can't even seem to type in proper English now [oh dear, pat, pat emoticon!)

In the post on Saturday...

artifarti Thu 19-Jan-12 21:12:44

Sounds like you need a lie down Dysgu!

How is everyone? And what are you all reading at the moment? Ploughing through Joseph O'Neill's Netherland at the moment - it's okay but not exactly a page turner...

Is everyone ready to post again? SLF, I spent yesterday finishing Arti's epic book (I will post on thread) so you will get it in time. I'll go to the PO tomorrow. Happy reading!

LolaLadybird Mon 30-Jan-12 21:35:53

Hi. Hope everyone well. AP - I posted to you today, a slightly thinner tome this time!

LolaLadybird Mon 30-Jan-12 21:41:07

Doh - was about to post on the relevant book thread and realised I didn't make a note of whose book I had. AP - can you check whose it it when it arrives please.

I should be able to work it out from the posting list but, sadly, my brain refuses to function.

Thanks Lola - look forward to it. I think the book you've posted is stickylittlefingers' choice, but I'll check when it arrives.

aristocat Tue 31-Jan-12 17:18:55

lola I have posted to you despite not having the book very long as I have raced grin through it!

It is surprising how much reading can be done when my laptop is out of action grin sad

Looking forward to the next one ....... dysgu please send me soon. X

LolaLadybird Tue 31-Jan-12 19:52:36

Excellent Aristo - I await its arrival keenly. I know what you mean about the laptop - occasionally DH takes my laptop with him when he goes away for work, I hate it (like my right arm is missing) but I do get a lot done!!

Thanks, Lola - book arrived today. It's Itsjustafleshwound's book, but I thought that should have come after Artifart's... Never mind. I think, after this month, we've all got one more to get before we get our own back.

Dysgu Wed 01-Feb-12 20:06:05

aristocat I have posted your book today! (Well, DP put it in the post on the mainland so it should be with you quickly!)

LolaLadybird Wed 01-Feb-12 22:21:50

Aristo - book arrived today, thank you. Very, very good choc - thankfully the foil is slowing me down otherwise it would all be over way too quickly!

AP - I have your book so does that mean we've completed the loop this month? It doesn't feel like we've had that many ....

artifarti Thu 02-Feb-12 08:58:48

I think there is one more posting in March. There are seven books to read, we started posting in August and we skipped December. I have read everyone's except itsjustafleshwounds (so a bit confused that it is with Dysgu!)

No, I've got Itsjustafleshwound's, but I've not read SLF's, I don't think. Way back on 26 Nov, JohnWorf posted two books - maybe that's where we got confused.

Once everyone's got this month's book, can you post whose book you've got and I'll try and sort out who's missing what.

Also, now that the end is near sad how do you all feel about continuing? Does anyone want to drop out, or do we need to recruit new people?

artifarti Thu 02-Feb-12 10:10:06

Continue please for me smile. I think it's worked better keeping it small but I guess you need a minimum for it to be worthwhile.

aristocat Thu 02-Feb-12 12:12:59

Lola glad the book arrived already smile

I have not read Lolas book or SLFs book ..... there should be one arriving soon so I will post again when I have it.

Happy to continue also, must think about book #4 grin

LolaLadybird Thu 02-Feb-12 18:40:03

I'd like to continue too - I also think it's better to keep it small FWIW.

I'm afraid I really couldn't tell you which books I haven't had - I suppose I could work it out by going back to the threads I've posted on but there was one that I didn't actually finish blush so didn't post on the thread.

aristocat Wed 08-Feb-12 13:15:31

Dysgu thank you the book arrived today smile greedily I have already ::gasp:: started the chocolate ......

I intend to start reading today, hope everyone else has books!

Dysgu Wed 08-Feb-12 22:38:46

Glad the book arrived aristocat although not sure why it took so long, I thought DP had posted it OFF the island (but didn't actually check, just assumed.)

I have not had a book this month (yet) and, although it may not be a surprise, I have not kept a list of which books I have read along the way! I would like to continue (if you can put up with me!) and aim to be more organised in the next round.

I think my main issue is that this new job (that I started in September, but is a new year group in the school system so we are making up the curriculum as we go) is proving more of a challenge than I initially thought it would. The job and school are great but, what with DD1 having started school this year and DD2 having started pre-school, things are just constantly manic. Now that we are half way through the school year I am hoping things will calm down (ha ha ha, wishful thinking emoticon!)

oh I've been naughty and not looked at this thread for a bit, and had a lightbulb moment that the package that the postman keeps trying to give me must be the book! What a wally! I should be getting it tomorrow.

I would be very happy to continue. I really like having books chased for me! The chocolate was a stroke of genius; don't know who thought of it originally, but it really gives this book circle the edge I think smile

SLF I hope it is the book - I send DS off with money to buy envelopes and chocolate, and a post-it note with your address. He assured me that he bought the chocolate (and put it in the envelope!) and addressed the envelope correctly...

(I did have to tell him twice to write the address on, and not just stick the post-it note onto the envelope. Brains, but no common sense).

LolaLadybird Thu 09-Feb-12 21:14:05

grin at Mr AgentP sticking post-it note to envelope. It's exactly the kind of thing that when you explain they look at you as if to say 'I knew that' but you can't actually be sure that they did!

It was the same DS who, when pouring me a drink, asked "Where's the ice?" He's 16, and never tires of telling me that he's technically able to leave home. hmm

Sorry - I haven't been around lately but would like to continue.

Books were posted last week - hope they arrived

AP it was indeed, and the chocolate was there, Mr AP did good!

LOL at DS being technically able to leave home. I think the appropriate answer is "you might be able to leave home, son, but are you certain you'd be able to find it again?"

aristocat Wed 15-Feb-12 22:32:40

Lola I have finished my book - which is SLFs and will post it next week. Hurry up and finish the last one grin

aristocat Sat 18-Feb-12 20:59:04

Lola the book is on its way smile

LolaLadybird Sun 19-Feb-12 10:19:45

Thanks Aristo. Oh dear, I'm only a chapter into the one I currently have and 'tis quite a hefty tome. Better get cracking.

Got distracted reading a lovely book that my DM lent me. Am not going to say any more than that though as think it could be my next round nomination!

I've just finished this month's book (Itsjusta's, I think) so I'll post it on to slf this week. I think I've just got one more book to get, then we're back to the beginning. I think I'm going to recommend the one I've just read to my RL book club, but no idea what I'll choose for the next round of this...

LolaLadybird Thu 23-Feb-12 21:52:05

Aristo - meant to post at the beginning of the week to say the book arrived. I'm looking forward to getting started on it. And very, very good choc choice .... thank you smile.

I have my new book AP thank you! The chocolate's gone already blush (and all in me! DP is away and I ate it when the girls were in bed. Such a bad person. But it was niiiice)

LolaLadybird Sat 25-Feb-12 19:49:12

AP - I was a bit late starting Feb's book and so won't have it finished for posting next week. As it's yours, I'm assuming you won't mind the delay ....?

No problem - take your time. I'm in no rush.

aristocat Thu 08-Mar-12 11:46:56

How are we all?

Will this months book be our last one? Hope you have nearly finished with it & I can have it soon Dysgu smile

Dysgu Mon 19-Mar-12 22:09:51

aristocat - books came back to me! I have sent a (slightly) longer explanation via PM!

How are you all getting on? I'm confused because LolaLadybird is reading my book, but I don't think I've read SLF's yet? Are you all on your last book or second-last book?

aristocat Tue 20-Mar-12 23:11:06

no worries Dysgu I will message you when they arrive smile

AP I am hoping to get Lolas book next and that will be my last one. Do you want me to message you what I have read, would that help?

aristocat Thu 22-Mar-12 21:32:37

Thank You Dysgu i have the books (mine and LLBs) and choccie grin Will start reading asap, Lola it is your book so I will post on your thread when finished.

When are we hoping to re-group for #4 ..... any ideas?

LolaLadybird Sat 24-Mar-12 18:22:29

Hi All. AP - I have SLF's book and will post together with your book at the end of the month. That means you have one more to go but I must be finished if Aristo currently has mine confused.

Something odd definitely happened to the book order this time ...!

Well it seems that people either have 1 or 0 books still to read. Will we give it another month for the books to get back to their owners and start a new round on 1 May - does that suit everyone?

aristocat Sun 25-Mar-12 22:17:27

Yes AP put my name on the list please, have got a book in mind already grin

hi, I'm off on holiday today, but please put me down, 1 May should be fine for me. Thank you!

artifarti Sun 01-Apr-12 10:33:46

1 May good for me.

Oh and some news from me - DS2 was born on Wednesday morning, 8lb10oz. He's lovely smile

Oh many congratulations, Arti! How lovely (and how big!) What's his name?

aristocat Mon 02-Apr-12 21:57:14

congratulations arti thanks what a big baby! are you both well?

Dysgu Thu 05-Apr-12 18:56:34

Congratulations Arti, what wonderful news! Hope you are all well and enjoying your new arrival. We have just started TTC DC3 although there are times when I think how lovely it is to just have my two girls - especially when they are playing to nicely together.

I have received my book back.

So are we posting on 1st May in the same order and same rules as last time? Must get thinking as have not even thought about what book to choose this time.

LolaLadybird Fri 06-Apr-12 21:40:28

Congratulations Arti - great news! I hope you are all doing well and DS is slotting in well to family life.

AP - my apologies for the delay in posting. We are staying with the in-laws for a few days. We left on Wednesday and what with all the faff of packing and journey planning I completely forgot about the books. We get back late on Tuesday so I promise to post on Weds/Thurs.

Also, I have decided to sit-out the next round. I do love receiving the books (and chocolate!) but things have been so manic lately that I've struggled to get the monthly book read let alone anything else. I feel like I need some time to just catch up with all the other reading that I want to do. Please can someone PM though if/when you get to round 5 because I'd like to come back in again having had a bit of a break (I even have a book lined up!).

Happy Easter to all smilesmile

aristocat Fri 13-Apr-12 15:16:29

sad that you are not joining in the next one Lola I have posted your original book back to you today.

LolaLadybird Sun 15-Apr-12 09:20:42

Book has arrived Aristo - thank you. I am also a little bit sad about missing the next one but it will be nice to catch up with my other reading smile.

Congratulations Arti that's such lovely news! Hope you are all doing OK. I know I owe you some chocolate and a book, must get myself to the post office.

Both books and chocolate have arrived, Lola, thanks. I'm sorry you won't be joining us in the next round, but I know exactly how you feel. I have so many books in my to-read pile it's starting to feel like yet another obligation.

slf I have your book now, but I have a long one to read for my RL book group, so I won't have read it by the end of the month.

If you've not already done so, can you please email me your book and author initials for the next round? Also, should we vote on our favourite book from this round? For me, there was one stand-out winner. I'll try and find my list of them all and then we can vote.

Dysgu Thu 19-Apr-12 22:45:13

Congratulations arti hope things are settling into a routine.

AP I did get the email, thanks - I am still trying to decide on a book but have so much going on that it is proving hard. I have just started a writing course, hoping to carve out some more writing time and hoping this is the kick I need but it just means there are more things to get done and even fewer hours in which to do them.
I will really think about it over the weekend and let you know.

As for my favourite from the last round - yes, I know mine. I have not been very good at posting on the discussion threads this time around (I do have to ration my time coming on MN or else no marking/planning/other stuff that might even relate to my family gets done!) but I am hoping to get work more streamlined in the new academic year!

A gentle reminder to everyone that I only have titles from Arti and Dysgu so far...

I've just sent you a message AP - shamed that I was "too busy" to get round to sending when Arti has a new baby and managed it... blush

aristocat Mon 23-Apr-12 22:51:34

messaged you too AP smile

I have sent you a message arti

Dysgu Sat 28-Apr-12 17:20:56

Gosh, how unlike me to be amongst the first to do anything! I think i am usually the one last to do everything - so it is looking good for my 'must do better' this time around.

are we all posting on Tuesday?

artifarti Mon 30-Apr-12 18:56:51

Are we posting tomorrow?

Hope you are all well.

I've still to hear from Johnworf and one other. Has anyone seen her around lately?

artifarti Mon 30-Apr-12 19:20:47

I think aristocat and her are on a thread together...coo-ee, aristo...!

And another call out for itsjustafleshwound too!

aristocat Tue 01-May-12 11:21:56

Hi girls, yes I know JohnWorf through MN. I didn't think she was taking part in the next round but I will message her now smile

Haven't seen itsjusta

Hi there all,

I think I am going to have to pass on this round - I have so many books lined up that I want to read, that perhaps by the time it comes to the next round I will have the decks cleared to be able to give the books a better chance.

Enjoy and sorry for taking so long getting back ....

Right, that just leaves five of us. Will we go ahead anyway, and then open it out to the wider MN audience in about 4 months time - as well as the three that are taking a break for this round - and see if we can get back up to 12?

I'll email addresses to those taking part now.

artifarti Tue 01-May-12 16:27:50

Yes, let's go for it. I still have all the emails of people from previous rounds who were interested in future ones, so we could start with them when the time comes.

Hurrah! Feeding DS2 every 3 hours at night means I am getting lots of reading done grin. and I need the chocolate for the extra BF-ing calories wink.

artifarti Tue 01-May-12 16:33:35

Are we voting for our favourite book this round too?

JohnWorf is in, too, so that's six of us. I've reversed the posting order and you should all have an email from me now with details of the person you're posting to. I will start a new chat thread for Round 4, but in the meantime do you want to vote on the Round 3 Books?

They were:

The Diving Bell & the Butterfly
Dry White Season
Gift of Rain
Cutting For Stone
Secret Life of Bees
A Week in December
Long Lost
My Brilliant Career

For me, I think it was Cutting For Stone, closely followed byDry White Season (although I've still to read My Brilliant Career). I loved reading about Ethiopia, which is somewhere I know nothing about and I found the book a real page-turner.

aristocat Tue 01-May-12 21:28:35

Brilliant ...... thanks AP I have replied to your email and will post tomorrow.

My favourite book was ::drum roll:: Secret life of Bees from dysgu.

Dysgu Tue 01-May-12 23:03:31

Thanks AP I have your email but checked my messages too late to buy the right chocolate so sorry JW I will have to buy and post on Saturday (adds a 'What happened to my 'doing better' this time?' emoticon blush )

and my favourite book in the last round was..... Long Lost! But not sure of the owner.

aristocat Tue 01-May-12 23:35:00

Twas mine Dysgu grin I am sending to you again ....

Hi, just sent off the book this morning - sorry for the delay! Really hard to choose this time, I liked so many of them for different reasons. Probably Cutting for Stone, but I really liked Secret Life of Bees a lot, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly was a fascinating read - Long Lost was just a great page turner (and I associate it with that nice hot spell we had in October so I was reading in the garden).... I would not be a good person to have on the Booker panel clearly!

artifarti Fri 04-May-12 19:07:29

Glad some of you liked my choice smile. For me, I think it would have to be Gift of Rain, although I also really enjoyed a Dry White Season and My Brilliant Career. I really love that this swap introduces me to some classics I have never heard of.

I realised when I was packaging up this round's book that I have picked another whopper - sorry about that, I will try to be more concise next time!

Are we starting threads for the books we have chosen?

aristocat Sat 05-May-12 00:11:10

Hi all, just wanted to say that my book (and choccy!) has arrived smile Thank You AP

Really loved Cutting For Stone - it was on my 'to be read' pile and so pleased that I did read a truly lyrical and well written book ..

Has everyone got their first book of the next round now? I've started a new thread for Round 4 chat. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now