very slow miscarriage - is this normal?

(10 Posts)
kissmummy Sat 14-Feb-09 13:42:11

i started spotting on Monday; scan on Tuesday confirmed m/c, sad and i expected the bleeding to get heavier, but it's not even like a normal period yet. i don't really want another D+C (had one in late November) but equally not sure i wan't this very slow process to drag on weeks and weeks. i was seven weeks when the pregnancy failed. any advice anyone?

lou031205 Sat 14-Feb-09 14:02:06

Hi kissmummy, I am sorry to hear your news.

I think that previous threads have said that the longer you are pregnant, the longer it can take for things to progress. Your body hasn't really got the message yet. I think it can take a few weeks, tbh. I hope you have someone around to look after you x

kissmummy Sat 14-Feb-09 14:32:58

thanks lou, i'm just kind of plodding on as usual. not taking any time off work this time. if i allow myself to dwell on it, i feel i might break, so i'm just getting on with things. i feel okay!just hope i don't crash later...

wasabipeanut Sun 15-Feb-09 11:15:49

Kissmummy I'm sorry to hear this. I mc'd at 9 weeks recently and the bleeding started on a Monday and didn't really get going until nearly a full week later. It got heavier on the Ssturday and peaked on the Monday. From then on it tailed off to almost nothing very quickly.

I'm sorry to say it but I'm afraid the worst may be yet to come. You shuld make sure you are stocked with pads and painkillers - I was doing Brufen and Paracentomol for a couple of days.

sassenach Sun 15-Feb-09 13:04:40

Kissmummy, I'm sorry too to hear this, I'm afraid I too had a very slow start: very slight spotting for six days followed by a scan followed by another six days of very little until my ERPC. If I had left it I don't know how long it would have taken as my body clearly wasn't thinking about doing much about it. I didn't have the confidence to go back to work and wait, which is why I booked in for the ERPC. It is really hard just waiting and wondering when it's going to happen - I hope for your sake it doesn't take too much longer.
Take care

giraffescantdancethetango Sun 15-Feb-09 13:06:33

Sorry to hear this. Take care.

Kismaat Sun 15-Feb-09 23:25:02

So sorry for your loss. Does your EPU offer medical management? A pill followed by pessaries 2 days later to make you have contractions and start bleeding. I had it because I didn't want surgery but I did want it over and done with, I couldn't bear the wait for it to happen naturally and like you, my body was in no rush. Might be worth a try. But I am not the best advert for it - it doesn't always work and I still have to go for the ERPC anyway Take care

kissmummy Tue 17-Feb-09 11:37:22

hi everyone, thanks for the responses. just to say that heavy bleeding started the very evening after i posted this message (saturday) and was like a slightly heavier than normal period for three days. Today, Tuesday, it seems to be tailing off. i think that's it...with my previous miscarriage at the same stage it was only like a heavy period. no pain at all at any point - maybe i'm just lucky with that. thanks for the reassurance.

Ksb33 Fri 13-May-11 02:10:28

Any input would be so appreciated! Okay I am 5 weeks pregnant and have been spotting brownish blood for two weeks. I had 1st vaginal sono on day 7 of spotting bc I was also experiencing mild discomfort on my right ovary (felt like period cramps.) this sono showed no sac yet but didn't appear eptopic and there was a largish cyst on rt ovary that doc said wouldnt be abnormal except it appeared to be collapsing in on itself somewhat which (along with spotting and cramping) may indicate miscarriage. So that was a week ago and symptoms didn't worsen or lessen any and I went back today for another vaginal sono. Doc says cld see a sac this time but it didn't look "right".. Appeared fuzzy evidently compared to what she said it should look like at 5 weeks 4 days which would be an image of black and white (sac and fetus)it looked just kind of grayish and hard to make out.. This according to doc is most likely bc I'm miscarrying. After vaginal sono today my cramping has become much more painful and I'm spotting more and although still brown-now there are darker brownish red specks in blood that cld be tissue? I am confused. Any of this familiar to anyone else? And is this just a slooow miscarriage or what? Thanks for letting me vent this feels very lonely.

HorseyGirl1 Fri 13-May-11 07:44:49

Sorry this is happening. Just didn't want to read and run. My experience was different so can't advise. Maybe phone your GP surgery to have chat with doctor? Could be a good idea to start a new thread so more people can see your post and reply with their experiences. xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now