Miscarrying now at 6 weeks - how much blood to expect?

(14 Posts)
NigellaTufnel Wed 21-Jan-09 12:14:33

Started miscarrying yesterday. Very sad.

They scanned aand found a very small sac but nothing to be seen in it.

Anyway, sitting at home now and am having bleeding like a moderate period.
Dr told me I was to expect a gush yesterday but that has not happened. Am concerned that not enough is coming out (stupid I know...) but has anyone else had as early a miscarriage and not a huge amount of blood?

PS I have found this forum to be a great help, and if there is anyone else out there miscarrying now - you are not alone.

wasabipeanut Wed 21-Jan-09 12:16:54

I'm so sorry to hear this sad news. I am also mc,ing at the moment - 9 weeks but mmc so 6 weeks in reality. I have been bleeding moderately since Monday but its manageable.

Had a scan this morning and still got sac to pass and was warned it would prob get worse sad

veryworriedme Wed 21-Jan-09 17:58:46

they said to me that the pain and blood would get much worse but in fact i only had a few cramps and then felt i needed to go to the loo. there wasnt this whoosh thing but i felt soemthing and that was the sac. i have felt physically much better since ( i mc ed on Monday) and the bleeding is more like a period now. it was never the pools of blood i expected.
Wasabi, i am sorry to hear the scan confirmed things. i imagine it what pretty grim being in the maternity ward sad

belgo Wed 21-Jan-09 18:02:39

Sorry to here this. I had a miscarriage at 6 weeks. I had heavy bleeding over four or five days, then less bleeding over 2/3 days. I also lost clots, and something identifiable as the embryo sac. I had lots of cramping and I took painkillers. It wasn't like a period, because the bleeding was heavier and lasted longer, and of course emotionally it was very upsetting.

Look after yourself. If you start to experience a lot of pain and a high temperature, then you need to contact the doctor again.

cornsilk Wed 21-Jan-09 18:05:01

Sorry to hear about your miscarriage.sad When I miscarried I didn't gush, was about 8/9 weeks. Was more like a heavy period with mild cramps.

Wheelybug Wed 21-Jan-09 18:07:27

so srry to hear this.

I had a m/c between 6 -7 weeks. For me, it was like a heavy period - I had 24 hours where the pain was quite bad but manageable with normal drugs/ hot water bottle. I had probably an hour where it was v.v. painful. In terms of bleeding, it was never much more than a heavy period, probably with a few more clots. It lasted about a week.

I also never knew when I'd passed anything significant - this was what I was most scared of but I wouldn't have known when I had passed the sac.

Take care of yourself (and you other ladies going through it).

NigellaTufnel Thu 22-Jan-09 09:45:18

Thanks everyone.

Now three days in and getting a bit better emotionally. Still like moderate period, but mine are usually quite light so perhaps this is normal for me.

The Dr said that when I pass the sac it will just be like a bloodclot and I would not see anything significant.
I thank heaven for small mercies.

It's ironic that I normally view periods as a positive thing - a sign that my body is working.
Mcing obviously shares the symptons of a period but feels so very very different - like a sign that your body is not working.
ONe of life's little ironies, perhaps.

belgo Thu 22-Jan-09 12:28:25

Nigella - three days is still very very soon, and you may feel a bit better emotionally, but it will take a while for your hormones to settle down, and you will probably feel up and down for a while yet.

A miscarriage doesn't mean your body's not working - I had two miscarriages- and with both of them, I felt as though my body knew what it was doing by ending the pregnancy. I also have three children, so in my case, miscarriages really didn't mean there was anything wrong with me.

georgimama Thu 22-Jan-09 12:33:37

Sorry for your loss.

My experience of a very early MC (just before Xmas) was like Belgo's too. I don't know if you have children already but it was similar to the bleeding I had immediately after DS was born - quite heavy and watery with a few largish clots. Only lasted a week.

I am now waiting for my period to come on - should have been yesterday but presumably my cycle will be knocked about.

SheherazadetheGoat Thu 22-Jan-09 12:45:02

so sorry.
s
took me about 5 days before the sac appeared, i was totaly unprepared for it it was definitely identifyable. it was a big shock. take care of yourself. apart from that it wasn't hugely diferent from a heavy period.

i went back to work too soon and was wiped out physically and emotional.

so sorry to hear this, I'm glad that your doctor has prepared you for what might happen. Mine told me it would be like a period but it wasn't, more like post-partum bleeding but very very much more painful. Make sure you have plenty of pain killers if you do get pain. Mind you I know this isn't the way for everyone, I think it could be related to what sort of periods you have, I have very heavy and very painful periods and I think it was the same with the miscarriage. I was told it would take days but I had very heavy bleeding and passed the sac and most of it was over in hours. I don't think there is a 'best way' and sadly we don't have control over our bodies anyway sad - look after yourself and be kind to yourself too. I hope it all passes as peacefully as it can.

neolara Sat 24-Jan-09 12:29:10

Firstly, sorry for the loss of your baby. It's a horrible thing to happen.

You may not necessarily bleed heavily at all at 6 weeks. I've had four miscarriages. One of them was around 6 1/2 weeks and the bleeding was similar to a lightish period. I recently had another one at 8 weeks, and that was also like a light period. The sacs in both cases were like little broad beans and were white. I also had no pain with any of my miscarriages. I think women's experience of miscarriage can be very different.

deanychip Sat 24-Jan-09 13:47:57

Hi, I am losing my baby now and i am 5 weeks.

Just like a period, not heavy, not overtly painful, no gush just a steady loss.

At 6 weeks (last mc i had) i had allot of pain (needed morphine!!) and had what i can only describe as a "loss". Whereby i knew that i had passed the sac..like you describe.That was kind of it.

Tis as shitty as any thing, and im sorry that it happens to us.
Good luck for the future, dont let this put you off.
I am planting a flower, then every September (my due date) i will have something there to remind me.

Kazzie2610 Mon 28-Apr-14 09:02:13

Hello I'm wondering if gone can give me some advice. Today is Monday I found out I was pregnant via clear blue last Wednesday. I started bleeding on Friday went to an e and they did tests sect six hours later sent me home sayinit cud be miscarage ectopic or early pregnancy with spotting. We are now on Monday and the bleed has stopped and I am now having negative clear blue tests. I'm going for a scan today. Two o'clock and I don't know what to do I have no children and this is my second misscarage as well as two ectopic pregnancys some light shed could maybe help me through this I feel like I'm alone and I'm so mad and sad every time I see children I want to cry and think what old mine have been like ? X I miss you all or in mummy's memories even if only for a day or two sleep well babies x x x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now